V. M. Vasnetsov’s “ideal of unity”. The painter’s work in Vladimir Cathedral in Kiev (1885–1896)
Paston Eleonora (2019)
"V. M. Vasnetsov’s “ideal of unity”. The painter’s work in Vladimir Cathedral in Kiev (1885–1896) ",
Vestnik Pravoslavnogo Sviato-Tikhonovskogo gumanitarnogo universiteta.
Seriia V : Voprosi istorii i teorii hristianskogo iskusstva
pp. 151-162 (in Russian).
DOI of the paper: 10.15382/sturV201936.151-162
The article studies the formation of V. M. Vasnetsov’s “ideal of unity” (Russ. «соборный идеал») which was an important factor in accomplishing the tasks of decorating the interior of Vladimir Cathedral in Kiev, the monument cathedral, dedicated to the 900th anniversary of the Baptism of Russia, whose paintings conveyed the idea of internalising the religious history of Russia. Vasnetsov saw a prerequisite of success in the task of decorating the cathedral in the “ardent link between the painters and contemporaries”. Thus the “ideal of unity” of the artist is being gradually shaped. Its foundation is the idea of the “natural unity of mankind” according to the Slavophiles, which implies a very deep harmony between people; this is an asset of those who are united by the sincere service for truth, kindness, and beauty.
spirit of unity, ideal of unity, religious painting, paintings in Vladimir church in Kiev, artistic and aesthetic programme, Vasnetsov, Abramtsevo circle
- Florenskii P. (1972) “Ikonostas” [Iconostasis]. Bogoslovskie trudy, 9 (in Russian).
- Plotnikova I. (1994) “O religioznoi zhivopisi Vasnetsova vo Vladimirskom sobore v Kieve” [On Vasnetsov’s Religious Painting in Vladimir Cathedral in Kiev], in: Viktor Mikhailovich Vasnetsov (1848–1926). Sbornik materialov [Viktor Mikhailovich Vasnetsov (1848–1926). Collection of Materials]. Moscow. Pp. 47–62 (in Russian).
- Polenova N. (1922) Abramtsevo. Vospominaniia [Abramtsevo. Memoirs]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Prakhov N. (1958) Stranitsy proshlogo [Pages of the Past]. Kiev (in Russian).
- Vasnetsov V. (1987) Mir khudozhnika. Pis'ma. Dnevniki. Vospominaniia. Dokumenty. Suzhdeniia sovremennikov [The Painter’s World. Letters. Diaries. Documents. Opinions of Contemporaries]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Vereshchagina A. (1994) “K voprosu ob istoricheskoi zhivopisi Vasnetsova” [On Vasnetsov’s Historical Painting], in: Viktor Mikhailovich Vasnetsov (1848–1926). Sbornik materialov [Viktor Mikhailovich Vasnetsov (1848–1926). Collection of Materials]. Moscow. Pp. 25–45 (in Russian).
- Zen'kovskii V. (1993) Problemy vospitaniia v svete khristianskoi antropologii [Issues in Upbringing in the Light of Christian Anthropology]. Moscow.
Information about the author
Paston Eleonora Academic Degree:
Doctor of Sciences*
in Art Criticism; Academic Rank:
Senior Research Fellow; Place of work:
Tretyakov State Gallery; 10 Lavrushinskiy Pereulok, Moscow 119017, Russian Federation; Post:
Leading Researcher; ORCID: 0000-0002-4896-9481
*According to ISCED 2011, a post-doctoral degree called Doctor of Sciences (D.Sc.) is given to reflect second advanced research qualifications or higher doctorates.