This article is focused upon the speciﬁc features of Russian Baroque in musical art. The study centres around the issue of the adaptation of the Baroque style norms in Russian music in the second half of the 17th century — the beginning of the 18th century. The article looks more closely at three elements that constitute key points as far as studying Russian Baroque is concerned. 1. The evolution of Russian culture sees a direct transition from the Middle Ages to the Baroque; therefore, on the one hand, some aesthetic ideals of the Middle Ages are preserved, but on the other hand, the absence of the Renaissance period contributes to the implementation of some separate aesthetical norms of this epoch in the Baroque — the fact that indicates the features of the Pre-rennaissance. 2. The stylistic pluralism of the epoch reﬂects the combination of the peculiarities of the Middle Ages, the Renaissance and the Baroque as such; the late 18th century sees the appearance of the stylistic features of Classicism. 3. The speciﬁ city of genre palette of Russian Baroque is characterized by the reduction of that of the West-European music. As a result, Russian Baroque experiences the domination of choral genres — the fact that can be explained by its deep roots in Russian musical art; as a result, instrumental music remains on the periphery during the Baroque period.
the Baroque, Russian musical culture of the second half of the 17th century — the ﬁrst half of the 18th century, stylistic features of the Baroque, speciﬁ c features of Russian Baroque, system of genres
1. Vagner G. K., Vladyshevskaja T. F. Iskusstvo Drevnej Rusi (Art of Old Rus), Moscow, 1993.
2. Gerasimova-Persidskaja N. A. Russkaja muzyka XVII veka — vstrecha dvuh jepoh (Russian Music of XVII Century — Meeting of Two Epochs), Moscow, 1994.
3. Gozenpud A. Muzykal'nyj teatr v Rossii ot istokov do Glinki (Musical Theater in Russia from Origins to Glinka), Leningrad, 1959.
4. Istorija russkoj muzyki (History of Russian Music), Moscow, 1985, vol. 3/2: XVIII vek (XVIII Century)
5. Keldysh Ju. 1978 “Problema stilej v russkoj muzyke XVII–XVIII vekov“ (Problem of Styles in Russian Music of XVII–XVIII Centuries), in Keldysh Ju. Ocherki i issledovanija po istorii russkoj muzyki, Moscow, 1978, pp. 92–112.
7. Lihachev D. S. Razvitie russkoj literatury X–XVIII vv. Jepohi i stili (Development of Russian Literature in X–XVIII Cent. Epochs and Styles), Leningrad, 1973.
8. Lobanova M. Zapadnoevropejskoe muzykal'noe barokko: problemy jestetiki i pojetiki (West European Musical Barocco: Problems of Esthetics and Poetics), Moscow, 1994.
9. Muzykal'nyj Peterburg: Jenciklopedicheskij slovar' (Musical Petersburg: Encyclopedic Dictionary), Saint-Petersburg, 2000, vol. 2 (K — P).
10. Polozova I. V. 2014 “Transformacija kljuchevyh konceptov v russkoj cerkovno-pevcheskoj praktike vtoroj poloviny XVII — nachala XIX vekov” (Transformation of Clue Concepts in Russian Church Chant Practice of Second Half of XVII — Begin of XIX Centuries), in Problemy muzykal'noj nauki, 2014, vol. 4/17, pp. 82–86.
11. Chernaja L. A. Russkaja kul'tura perehodnogo perioda ot Srednevekov'ja k Novomu vremeni (Russian Culture of Transitional Period from Middle Ages to New Time), Moscow, 1999.