In the article the sacred musical creation of the composer G. Ja. Izvekov is reviewed for the ﬁ rst time. Devoted servant of the Russian Orthodox Church, Fr. George Izvekov left many sacred songs on the liturgical texts and religious chants. They have been used a variety of means of choral and harmonic expression, synthesized from the experience of Moscow and St. Petersburg school of sacred music of the New direction. In an eﬀ ort to update the musical language of church music, the composer has created an original style, combining the techniques of a folk-song and church traditions with modern musical means. The author analyzes his sacred music as in the context of composer’s creative activity so in keeping with general problems of the New direction in the Russian sacred music at the turn of XIX–XX centuries.
Izvekov, sacred music, style, composition, the New direction, the musical language
1. Gardner I. A. Bogosluzhebnoe penie Russkoj pravoslavnoj cerkvi (Liturgical Singing of Russian Orthodox Church), Sergiev Posad, 1998, vol. 2.
2. Golubcov S. Cerkovnyj kompozitor G. Ja. Izvekov (Church Composer G. Ja. Izvekov), in www.rusk.ru/st.php?idar=800960 (Date: 13.05.2013).
3. Guljanickaja N. S. Pojetika muzykal'noj kompozicii: teoreticheskie aspekty russkoj duhovnoj muzyki XX veka (Poetics of Musical Composition: Theoretical Aspects of Russian Spiritual Music of XX Century), Moscow, 2002.
4. Zvereva S. G. A. Kastal'skij. Idei. Tvorchestvo. Sud'ba (Kastal'skij. Ideas. Creativity. Destiny), Moscow, 1999.
5. “Izvekov G. Ja”, in www.drevo-info.ru/articles/12988.html (Date: 12.04.2013).
6. Rahmanova M. P. 1997 “Russkaja duhovnaja muzyka v XX veke“ (Russian Spiritual Music in XX Century), in Aranovskij M. G. (ed.) Russkaja muzyka i XX vek, Moscow, 1997, pp. 371—406.