Cultural and confessional factors of psychological differences in adaptive and preadaptive meaning-related regulation
Godunov Mikhail, Abakumova Irina (2022)
"Cultural and confessional factors of psychological differences in adaptive and preadaptive meaning-related regulation ",
Vestnik Pravoslavnogo Sviato-Tikhonovskogo gumanitarnogo universiteta.
Seriia IV : Pedagogika. Psihologiia
pp. 109-121 (in Russian).
DOI of the paper: 10.15382/sturIV202264.109-121
The relevance of studying the features of the meaning regulation of a person is due to the need to describe the mechanisms of the formation of meanings under the influence of cultural, social, historical and ideological aspects of his life. The authors present a theoretical analysis of the features of the formation of the system of personal meanings of people belonging to Western and Eastern Christianity. The purpose of the article is to identify the cultural and confessional factors of psychological differences in adaptive and preadaptive meaning regulation that exist among representatives of the Catholic and Orthodox branches of the Christian world. The paper analyzes the influence of various cultural and confessional factors on the meaning regulation of representatives of Catholicism and Orthodoxy. Catholicism and Orthodoxy, as the western and eastern branches of Christianity, have corresponding differences in the field of religious priorities: God's descent to earth at Christmas and likening to man against the divine Resurrection as a sacrifice for man; worldview: anthropocentrism against сhristocentrism; epistemological views: logical analysis and materialistic rationalism of the intellect and against the sacred unity of the relationship between man and nature; value attitudes: acceptance of one's imperfection against the desire for a divine prototype; cultural priorities: welfare versus sanctity; ethical beliefs: primacy of individual rights versus duties to the soul's conscience; social identities: self-affirmation based on law versus religious humility before spiritual precepts; political preferences: individual freedom versus the common good; legal concepts: legal contract versus moral union. Based on the analysis of the scientific works presented in this study, it is proposed to consider the cultural and confessional features of Catholicism as correlating mainly with the adaptive orientation of meaning-forming strategies, and Orthodoxy as correlating mainly with the preadaptive orientation of meaning-forming strategies.
personal meaning, meaning sphere, meaning regulation, strategy of meaning formation, adaptivity, preadaptivity, Catholicism, Orthodoxy
- Aquinas T. Summa Theologiae: Complete Set / Saint Thomas Aquinas (Author), The Aquinas Institute (Editor). Series: Latin-English Opera Omnia. Steubenville, 2018.
- Asmolov A., Shekhter E., Chernorizov A. (2017) “Preadaptatsiia k neopredelennosti kak strategiia navigatsii razvivaiushchikhsia sistem: marshruty evoliutsii”. Voprosy psikhologii. 2017, no. 4, pp. 3–26 (in Russian).
- Bugental J. F. T. (2015) The Search for Authenticity: An existential-analytic approach to psychotherapy. New York.
- Bulgakov S. (1991) Pravoslavie: Ocherki ucheniia Pravoslavnoi Tserkvi. Moscow (in Russian).
- Esaulov I. (2001) “Paskhal’nyi arkhetip russkoi literatury i struktura romana Doktor Zhivago″”. Problemy istoricheskoi poetiki. 2001, no. 6, p. 483–499 (in Russian).
- Florenskii P. (1999) Obratnaia perspektiva. Moscow, vol. 3 (1), p. 46–98 (in Russian).
- Frankl V. E. (2017) Man’s Search for Meaning: Young Adult Edition. Boston.
- Godunov M. (2019) Ansambl' svoistv lichnosti: trialekticheskoe razvitie preadaptivnykh vozmozhnostei. Moscow (in Russian).
- Grishkova L. (2010) “Kontsepty khristianskoi kul’tury v khudozhestvennoi literature”. Lingvistika i mezhkul’turnaia kommunikatsiia. 2010, pp. 111–120 (in Russian).
- Heidegger M. (2015) Sein und Zeit. Berlin.
- Husserl E. (2017) Ideas: General Introduction to Pure Phenomenology. New York.
- Iazykova I. Kak berezhno khranit’ starinnye knigi i pravil’no imi pol’zovat'sia? Zhurnal Moskovskoi Patriarkhii. 2019, no. 5, pp. 82–85.
- Jaspers K. (2016) Vom Ursprung und Ziel der Geschichte. Basel.
- Jung C. G. (2018) Der Mensch und seine Symbole. Mannheim.
- Karsavin L. (2016) “Fenomenologiia revoliutsii”. Russkii uzel evraziistva. Vostok v russkoi mysli: sbornik trudov evraziitsev. Moscow, pp. 141–201 (in Russian).
- Khomiakov A. (2018) Vsemirnaia zadacha Rossii. Moscow (in Russian).
- Kireevskii I. (2016) “O kharaktere prosveshcheniia Evropy i ego otnoshenii k prosveshcheniiu Rossii”, in I. Kireevskii, P. Kireevskii. Polnoe sobranie sochinenii. Vol. 1. Filosofskie i istorikopublitsisticheskie raboty. Kaluga. pp. 71–126 (in Russian).
- Kliuchevskii V. (2017) Aforizmy i mysli ob istorii. Moscow (in Russian).
- Lebedev A. (2017) Istoriia razdeleniia Tserkvei v IX, X i XI vv. St. Petersburg (in Russian).
- Leont’ev D. (2018) “Sinergetika i lichnost': k neravnovesnoi personologii”. Metodologiia i istoriia psikhologii. 2018, vol. 3, p. 96–104 (in Russian).
- Losskii V. (1973) “Iskhozhdenie Sviatogo Dukha v pravoslavnom uchenii o Troitse”. Zhurnal Moskovskoi Patriarkhii. 1973, no. 9, p. 62–71 (in Russian).
- Piskunov A., Burdina O., Riazanov S. (2019) “Mirovye religii v sovremennom sotsiume: osnovy verouchenii i predotvrashchenie prestuplenii na mezhetnicheskoi i mezhkonfessional'noi pochve”. Perm’ (in Russian).
- Seniutkin K. (2016) “Sistema tsennostei v zapadnokhristianskoi i vostochnokhristianskoi kul'turakh”. Filosofiia khoziaistva. Al’manakh Tsentra obshchestvennykh nauk i ekonomicheskogo fakul'teta MGU imeni M. V. Lomonosova. 2016, vol. 4, pp. 78–85 (in Russian).
- Shaposhnikov L. (2016) Russkaia istoriosofi ia: izbrannye shkoly i personalii. St. Petersburg (in Russian).
- Solov’ev V. (2015) “Chteniia o Bogochelovechestve”. St. Petersburg (in Russian).
- Trubetskoi S. (2017) Kurs istorii drevnei filosofii. Moscow (in Russian).
Information about the author
Abakumova Irina Academic Degree:
Doctor of Sciences*
in Psychological Sciences; Place of work:
Don State Тechnical University; Rostov-on-Don, Russia; ORCID: 0000-0003-2202-2588
*According to ISCED 2011, a post-doctoral degree called Doctor of Sciences (D.Sc.) is given to reflect second advanced research qualifications or higher doctorates.
Godunov Mikhail Academic Degree:
Candidate of Sciences*
in Psychological Sciences; Place of work:
Don State Тechnical University; Rostov-on-Don, Russia; Post:
associate professor; ORCID: 0000-0003-3696-7347
*According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, the degree of Candidate of Sciences (Cand.Sc.) belongs to ISCED level 8 — "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar.
The article was supported by the Russian Foundation for Basic Research RFBR (Project No. 18-29-22004 (2018) «Psychological and genetic studies of users’ behavior predictors that determine the perception of Internet content of various informational orientation»).