Interconnection between academic success and the ideas of students of various forms of study about the university teacher’s personality
Egorov Ilya, Tulush Anastasia (2021)
"Interconnection between academic success and the ideas of students of various forms of study about the university teacher’s personality ",
Vestnik Pravoslavnogo Sviato-Tikhonovskogo gumanitarnogo universiteta.
Seriia IV : Pedagogika. Psihologiia
pp. 97-113 (in Russian).
DOI of the paper: 10.15382/sturIV202163.97-113
The article analyses result of research of the link of student’s perception teacher’s personal qualities and academic’s perfomance. The analysis of theory shows the advantages and disadvantages of each form of education. There are determined the reasons for the decrease or increase in the academic success of education, and prospects for the use of each of the forms of education in higher education in the future. Among the most popular reasons for the decline in academic success of students and full-time and distance learning are: organizational difficulties; psychological difficulties. Specific difficulties for distance learning students are: problems of "beginners" (low computer literacy); technical difficulties (work in different programs); psychological difficulties (lack of live interaction with all members of the educational process, a sense of loneliness). The aim of the study was to identify the relationship between students' ideas about the personality of a university teacher and the academic performance of distance learning students in comparison with full-time students. To achieve the goal of the study, the authors relied on the methodological approaches of A.A. Bodaleva, A.A. Reana, J.L. Kolominsky on the social and perceptual side of communication in the educational process. In the empirical part of the study, the following methods were used: T. Leary's questionnaire, analysis of educational documentation, methods of descriptive and inductive statistics, the method of correlation pleiades. The results of the empirical study showed statistically significant, direct relationships between the academic success of students of both forms of education (full-time and distance learning) and the authoritarian personality traits of the teacher. But, at the same time, among full-time students, a direct relationship was found between academic performance and egocentricity, distance and rivalry of the teacher. And for distance learning students, a statistically significant relationship was found between academic success and the teacher's mistrustful and skeptical attitude towards other people in his character traits. At the same time, among full-time students, a statistically significant inverse relationship was found between academic success and dependence on others, a willingness to listen to the opinions of others.
Full-time education, distance education, academic performance, student’s opinion on unversity’s teachers, personal qualities, real image, correlation analysis
- Antsiferova A. (2016) “Vzaimodeistvie prepodavatelia i studenta kak faktor vozdeistviia na lichnostnyi i professional′nyi rost obuchaiushchegosia” [The interaction of a teacher and a student as a factor infl uencing the personal and professional growth of a student]. Elektronnyi nauchno-metodicheskii zhurnal Omskogo GAU, 2016, vol. 3 (6), pp. 144–147 (in Russian).
- Ashmarov I. (2014) “Vliianie lichnostnykh kachestv studentov v protsesse obucheniia na rezul’tativnost’ protsessa professional’nogo stanovleniia i razvitiia” [The infl uence of students’ personal qualities in the learning process on the eff ectiveness of the process of professional formation and development]. Professional′naia orientatsiia, 2014, vol. 1, pp. 2–19 (in Russian).
- Ashyrbekova A. (2019) “Psikhologo-pedagogicheskie faktory akademicheskoi uspevaemosti i neuspevaemosti studentov v protsesse stanovleniia spetsialistami” [Psychological and pedagogical factors of academic performance and academic failure of students in the process of becoming specialists]. Sovremennye problemy nauki i obrazovaniia, 2019, vol. 3, pp. 42–60 (in Russian).
- Bostanov R., Gerbekov Kh., Khalkecheva I. (2017) “Vozmozhnosti distantsionnykh obrazovatel’nykh tekhnologii dlia povysheniia kachestva i dostupnosti obucheniia” [Opportunities of distance learning technologies to improve the quality and accessibility of education]. Vestnik RUDN. Seriia: Informatizatsiia obrazovaniia, 2017, vol. 3, pp. 365–370 (in Russian).
- Egorov I. (2013) “Issledovanie predstavlenii studentov ob obraze prepodavatelia pedagogicheskogo vuza” [Research of students’ ideas about the image of a teacher of a pedagogical university]. Vestnik PSTGU. Ser. IV. Pedagogika. Psikhologiia, 2013, vyp. 4 (31), pp. 123–134 (in Russian).
- Eyong B., Schniederyans M. (2004) “The role of personality in web-based distance education courses”. Communications of the ACM, 2004, vol. 47, issue 3, pp. 95–98.
- Guzhva I., Pobokin P. (2020) “Obraz prepodavatelia v predstavlenii sovremennykh studentov v usloviiakh uchebno-vospitatel£nogo processa” [The image of a teacher as seen by modern students in the context of educational process]. Yaroslavskii pedagogicheskii vestnik, 2020, vol. 6 (117), pp. 139–145 (in Russian).
- Lapshova A. (2018) “Vliianie lichnosti prepodavatelia na kachestvo professional£noi podgotovki studentov vuza” [The infl uence of the teacher’s personality on the quality of professional training of university students]. Problemy sovremennogo pedagogicheskogo obrazovaniia, 2018, vol. 60, pt. 3, pp. 198–200 (in Russian).
- Mineva S. (2021) “Distantsionnoe universitetskoe obrazovanie: mezhdu akademicheskoi traditsiei i tsifrovoi dementsiei” [Distance university education: between academic tradition and digital dementia]. Noosfernye issledovaniia, 2021, vol. 1, pp. 99–105 (in Russian).
- Pereslegin S., Koroliov A., Kurashova S. (2019) “Distantsionnoe obrazovanie. Principial£nye problemy. Opyt aprobatsii v tekhnicheskom universitete” [Distance education. Fundamental problems. Approbation at a technical university]. Sovremennoe pedagogicheskoe obrazovanie, 2019, vol. 3, pp. 24–30 (in Russian).
- Rudykh L. (2020) “Distantsionnoe obuchenie v vuze: problemy i perspektivy” [Distance learning at a university: problems and prospects”]. Molodiozhnyi vestnik IrGTU. Gumanitarnye nauki, 2020, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 158–162 (in Russian).
- Shishliannikova L. (2019) “Primenenie korreliatsionnogo analiza v psikhologii” [Correlation analysis in psychology]. Psikhologicheskaia nauka i obrazovanie, 2009, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 98–107 (in Russian).
- Vaindorf-Sysoeva M. (ed.) (2017) Metodika distantsionnogo obucheniia [Distance learning methodology]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Vodolad S., Zaikovskaia M., Kovaleva T., Savel'eva G. (2010) “Distantsionnoe obuchenie v vuze” [Distance learning at a university]. Uchenye zapiski: elektronnyi nauchnyi zhurnal Kurskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta, 2010, vol. 1(13), pp. 129–138 (in Russian).
Information about the author
Egorov Ilya Academic Degree:
Candidate of Sciences*
in Psychological Sciences; Academic Rank:
Associate Professor; Place of work:
Moscow City University 4; 2nd Sel'skokhoziaistvennyi proezd, Moscow, 129226, Russian Federation; Post:
Associate Professor; ORCID: 0000-0002-7302-5335
*According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, the degree of Candidate of Sciences (Cand.Sc.) belongs to ISCED level 8 — "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar.
Tulush Anastasia Place of work:
National Research University of Electronic Technology (MIET); 1 Pl. Shokina, Zelenograd 124498, Russian Federation; ORCID: 0000-0001-5804-0193