Character accentuation as factor in the attitude of young men and women to the main christian virtues
Voronin Sergey (2021)
"Character accentuation as factor in the attitude of young men and women to the main christian virtues ",
Vestnik Pravoslavnogo Sviato-Tikhonovskogo gumanitarnogo universiteta.
Seriia IV : Pedagogika. Psihologiia
pp. 131-147 (in Russian).
DOI of the paper: 10.15382/sturIV202163.131-147
In the conditions of modern society, the problem of spiritual and moral formation and development of young people does not lose its relevance. Of course, in the process of achieving this goal, an important task is the churchification of young people, bringing them into the bosom of the Church. However, the church formation of young people is impossible without their acceptance of the basic values of the Orthodox faith. One of the main forms of existence of these values is Christian virtue. The article analyzes the main Christian virtues based on the analysis of the Apostolic epistles and scientific literature on the problem of research. The empirical part of the work examines the attitude of young men and women with different accentuations of character to the main Christian virtues. The attitude to virtue is considered as a kind of emotional component of its development, along with cognitive (knowledge of it) and behavioral (desire for its development) components. This emotional component is an intermediate link in the development of virtue. It is he who often contains the gap between a person's knowledge of various virtues and the desire to develop them in himself. It is important to note that the concept of accentuation in the study is understood in accordance with the interpretation of Karl Leonhard. With this approach, accentuation is considered as a variant of the norm with some strengthening of certain features that determine the originality, uniqueness of the individual and to some extent set the vector of her personal and spiritual growth. In the process of empirical research, a number of interesting patterns have been established regarding the attitude to Christian virtues among young men and women with different character accentuations. The study analyzes the results obtained on a sample of boys and girls separately, and also provides data on a comparative analysis of the results between these samples.
character accentuation, trait, virtue, spiritual and moral development, attitude, personality, attribute, norm
- Bezrukikh O., priest (2018) “Klassifikatsiia dobrodetelei” [Classifi cation of virtues], in Materialy XIII Mezhdunarodnogo foruma: Zadonskie Sviato-Tikhonovskie obrazovatel′nye chteniia [Materials of the 13th International Forum: Zadonsk St. Tikhon’s educational readings]. Zadonsk, 2018, pp. 62–64 (in Russian).
- Gushchina A. (2016) “Vospitanie dobrodetelei kak velenie vremeni” [Teaching virtues as a command of the time]. Problemy i perspektivy razvitiia obrazovaniia v Rossii, 2016, vol. 44, pp. 7–11 (in Russian).
- Gushchina A. (2017) “O «vospitanii vo mne dobrodetelei»” [About “teaching virtues in me”], in Materialy XII mezhdunarodnoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii: Vysshee gumanitarnoe obrazovanie XXI veka: problemy i perspektivy [Materials of the XII international сonference “Higher Education in the Humanities of the 21st century: problems and prospects”]. Moscow, 2017, pp. 85–89 (in Russian).
- Gushchina A. (2018) “Vospitanie dobrodetelei kak pedagogicheskaia problema” [Teaching virtues as a pedagogical problem”]. Povolzhskii pedagogicheskii vestnik, 2018, vol. 3, pp. 40–46 (in Russian).
- D’iachenko G., archpriest (2007) Polnyi tserkovno-slavianskii slovar’ [Full Church Slavonic dictionary]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Feofan Zatvornik (2006) Tolkovanie poslaniia apostola Pavla k Korinfianam [Interpretation of the Epistle of Apostle Paul to the Corinthians]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Fromm E. (2011) Iskusstvo lyubit′ [The art of loving]. Moscow (Russian translation).
- Ierofei (Vlakhos), metropolitan (2005) Pravoslavnaia psikhoterapiia [Orthodox psychotherapy]. Holy Trinity St. Sergius Lavra (in Russian).
- Lazutin D. (2015) “Khristianskie dobrodeteli v svete ucheniia sviatogo apostola Pavla” [Christian virtues in the light of the teaching of Apostle Paul]. Trudy Saratovskoi Pravoslavnoi Dukhovnoi seminarii, 2015, vol. 9, pp. 85–124 (in Russian).
- Leongard K. (2000) Aktsentuirovannye lichnosti [Accentuated personalities]. Rostov-na-Donu (in Russian).
- Litvina S., Bogomaz S. (2015) “Gendernye stereotipy molodezhi v otsenkakh znachimosti i vyrazhennosti lichnostnyh dobrodetelei cheloveka” [“Gender stereotypes of young people in assessing significance and degree of expression of personal virtues of a person”], in Materialy III nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii “Kategoriia social′nogo v sovremennoi pedagogike i psikhologii” [Materials of the 3rd conference “The category of the social in modern pedagogy and psychology”]. Ulianovsk, 2015, pp. 211–215 (in Russian).
- Litvina S., Bogomaz S. (2014) “Individual’nye dostoinstva kak prediktory udovletvorennosti cheloveka svoei zhizn’yu” [“Individual merits as predictors of a person’s satisfaction with their life”]. Sibirskii psikhologicheskii zhurnal, 2014, vol. 54, pp. 211–221 (in Russian).
- Mar’ina L., Grishanina M. (2019) “Fenomenologicheskie osobennosti aktsentuatsii kharaktera: tekhnologiia izucheniia” [“Phenomenological features of character accentuations: technology of studying”], in 21 vek: fundamental′naia nauka i tekhnologii. Materialy XIX mezhdunarodnoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii [The 21st century: fundamental science and technology. Materials of the 19th international conference]. North Charleston, 2019, vol. 2, pp. 45–48 (in Russian).
- Meshcheriakov B., Zinchenko V. (2003) Bol’shoi psikhologicheskii slovar’ [Large psychological dictionary]. St. Petersburg (in Russian).
- Nazarenko S., Leonova L. (2017) “Psikhologiia kharaktera i khristianskoe uchenie o dobrodeteliakh” [“Psychology of the character and Christian teaching about virtues”]. Trudy Saratovskoi Pravoslavnoi Dukhovnoi seminarii, 2017, vol. 11, pp. 336–362 (in Russian).
- Orlova A. (2017) “Dobrodetel’ kak kachestvo lichnosti” [Virtue as a quality of personality], in Materialy Mezhdunarodnoi (zaochnoi) nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii: Nauka, obrazovanie, innovatsii: aprobatsiia rezul′tatov issledovaniia [Materials of the International conference “Science, Education, Innovation: approbation of research results”]. Neftekamsk, 2017, pp. 581–593 (in Russian).
- Petrovskii A., Iaroshevskii M. (1999) Osnovy teoreticheskoi psikhologii [The foundations of theoretical psychology]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Shekhovtsova L., Grishina E., Legostaeva M. (2014) Preodolenie strasti asketicheskimi i psikhologicheskimi metodami [Overcoming passion by ascetic and psychological methods]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Sidorenko E. (2002) Metody matematicheskoi obrabotki v psikhologii [Methods of mathematical processing in psychology]. St. Petersburg (in Russian).
Information about the author
Voronin Sergey, диакон Academic Degree:
Candidate of Sciences*
in Education; Place of work:
Sochi State University; 94, Plastunskaya Str., Sochi, 354000, Russian Federation; Post:
Associate Professor, Department of Psychology and Defectology; ORCID: 0000-0002-3530-1001
*According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, the degree of Candidate of Sciences (Cand.Sc.) belongs to ISCED level 8 — "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar.