Type of culture as a determinant in forming value orientations in russian students
Naumova Diana (2020)
"Type of culture as a determinant in forming value orientations in russian students ",
Vestnik Pravoslavnogo Sviato-Tikhonovskogo gumanitarnogo universiteta.
Seriia IV : Pedagogika. Psihologiia
pp. 117-126 (in Russian).
DOI of the paper: 10.15382/sturIV202056.117-126
This article aims to determine and analyse the determinants in the development of authoritarian and professional agenda among present-day university students. It describes and substantiates the following research methods: J. Townsend, “Cultural and Value Orientations”, T. Adorno “Public Opinion Poll”, E. Schein “Career Anchors”. In course of the research, three groups were formed. These groups include respondents that associate themselves with one of the three cultural types: traditional, modern and rapidly developing culture. In all the three groups the indicators of “authoritarian aggressiveness” and “authoritarian subordination” have equally high levels. The group “present” shows high level of association with antidemocratic ideology (employing T. Adorno’s methodology) and also the indicators “serving” and “stable job” (employing E. Schein’s methodology). Taking into account all the results, the article comes to the conclusion that respondents can associate themselves with diff erent types of culture, but traditional values for professional life preserve their importance. It contradicts modern trends of employment market. The respondents who associate themselves with modern culture are particularly prone to antidemocratic ideology.
culture, values, social agenda, authoritarism, authoritarian syndrome, profession, professional identity, professional agenda, young people
- Blau M. (1994) “Razlichnye tochki zreniia na social'nuiu strukturu i ikh obshchii znamenatel'” [Different points of view on social structure and their common denominator], in V. I. Dobren'kov (ed.) Amerikanskaia sotsiologicheskaia mysl': teksty [American sociological thought: Texts]. Moscow. Pp. 8–29 (in Russian).
- Demidova T. (2010) “Organizatsionnaia kul'tura kak psikhologicheskii faktor kar'iernykh orientatsii lichnosti” [Organisational culture as a psychological factor in career orientations of an individual]. Izvestiia Rossiiskogo gosudarstvennogo pedagogicheskogo universiteta im. A. I. Gertsena, 125, 22–27 (in Russian).
- Egorov I. (2018) “Spetsifi ka grazhdanskoi i professional'noi identichnosti studencheskoi molodezhi Rossii v zavisimosti ot tipa attitiuda patriotizma” [Specifi city of civil and professional identity of students in Russia depending on the type of attitude to patriotism]. Aktual'nye problemy psikhologicheskogo znaniia, 4 (49), 51–61 (in Russian).
- Markin V. (2011) “Determinanty formirovaniia individual'noi kar'ernoi strategii” [Determinants in the formation of an individual career strategy]. Sotsial'naia psikhologiia i obshchestvo, 4. Portal psikhologicheskikh izdanii PsyJournals.ru, available at http://psyjournals.ru/social_psy/2011/n4/48487_full.shtml (20.12.2019).
- Shneider L., Stashkevich O. (2018) “Attitiudy patriotizma v prostranstve obrazovaniia i vospitaniia” [Attitudes to patriotism in the space of education and upbringing]. Vestnik PSTGU. Ser. 4. Pedagogika i psikhologiia, 50, 11–21 (in Russian).
Information about the author
Naumova Diana Academic Degree:
Candidate of Sciences*
in Psychological Sciences; Academic Rank:
Associate Professor; Place of work:
Moscow City University; 4 Vtoroy Sel’skokhozyaystvennyi proezd, Moscow, 129226, Russian Federation; Post:
associate professor, Department of psychology, Institute of educational psychology and pedagogy; ORCID: 0000-0001-7427-0079
*According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, the degree of Candidate of Sciences (Cand.Sc.) belongs to ISCED level 8 — "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar.