Mumrikov Oleg, archpriest
Professor of the Moscow theological Academy S.S. Glagolev (1865-1937) about scientific-apologetic tasks of the higher theological schools: the relevance of theses one hundred years later
Mumrikov Oleg (2018)
"Professor of the Moscow theological Academy S.S. Glagolev (1865-1937) about scientific-apologetic tasks of the higher theological schools: the relevance of theses one hundred years later ",
Vestnik Pravoslavnogo Sviato-Tikhonovskogo gumanitarnogo universiteta.
Seriia IV : Pedagogika. Psihologiia
pp. 79-91 (in Russian).
DOI of the paper: 10.15382/sturIV201848.79-91
As is well known, 2017 marks 100 years since the beginning of persecutions of Orthodox Christians in Russia, 100 years since the inception of the Regional Council of the Russian Church, as well as 80 years since the beginning of a new phase of mass repression in the USSR. This article discusses the theological and apologetic heritage of the prominent public fi gure, educationalist, renowned professor of Moscow Theological Academy Sergey Sergeyevich Glagolev (1865–1937; Russ. Сергей Сергеевич Глаголев), who was a member of the Regional Council of 1917–1918 and was repressed and executed in 1937. Having analysed a range of sources, namely speeches to students, articles in the Theological Bulletin (Богословский вестник) of Moscow Theological Academy as well as other works, this paper aims to demonstrate the signifi cance and relevance of Professor S. Glagolev’s ideas for the fruitful development of Orthodox scientifi c apologetics in the context of the system of religious education and catechism. Glagolev’s apologetic legacy is marked by a harmonious synopsis of scientifi c conceptions, Biblical revelation and the ecclesiastical tradition, which implies the development of relevant apologetic patterns based on this synthesis. The patterns of this synopsis, in their turn, serve the main purpose, namely the building of the integrated Christian worldview in the 21st century.
apologetic patterns, persecution of Russian church, scientifi c apologetics, Moscow Theological Academy, Orthodox mission, religious education, catechesis, scientifi c and religious dialogue, Church and school, Christian worldview
- “Glagolev Sergej Sergeevich”, in: Biografi cheskĳ spravochnik «Za Hrista postradavshie», available at: http://www.pstbi.ccas.ru/bin/db.exe/docum/no_dbpath/ans/newmr/?TYZCF2JMTdG6Xbu1eu0XfeiZcW0FdS0XdOYUYOLUcuKZceXb
- Glubokovskĳ N. N., Hronologĳ a Vethogo i Novogo Zaveta, Moscow, 1996.
- Grigorĳ Nisskĳ , svt., O zhizni Moiseja zakonodatelja, ili o sovershenstve v dobrodeteli, Moscow, 1999.
- Kazarjan A. T., “Glagolev Sergej Sergeevich”, in: Pravoslavnaja jenciklopedĳa, Moscow, 2006, XI, 536–538.
- Kiselev A., diak., Istorĳa Moskovskoj Duhovnoj Akademii (1870–1900). Chast' II: Letopis' nauchnoj zhizni akademii, Zagorsk, 1974.
- Kolyvanov G. E., “Golubinskĳ Dmitrĳ Fedorovich”, in: Pravoslavnaja jenciklopedĳa. Moscow, 2006, XI, 718–719.
- Lomonosov M. V., “Javlenie Venery na Solnce: Pribavlenie”, in: Polnoe sobranie sochinenĳ . T. 4. Trudy po fizike, astronomii i priborostroenĳu 1744–1765 gg. Moscow-Leningrad, 1955, 373–374.
- Mumrikov O., svjashh., “Estestvennonauchnaja apologetika kak celostnaja disciplina: obshhĳ obzor”, in: Vestnik PSTGU. Ser. IV: Pedagogika. Psihologĳa, Moscow, 4 (15), 2009, 28–41.
- Mumrikov O., svjashh., Koncepcii sovremennogo estestvoznanĳa: hristiansko-apologeticheskĳ aspekt. Uchebnoe posobie dlja duhovnyh uchebnyh zavedenĳ, Sergiev Posad-Moscow, 2014.
Information about the author
Mumrikov Oleg, archpriest Academic Degree:
Candidate of Sciences*
in Theology; Place of work:
St Tikhon’s Orthodox University for the Humanities; 6/1 Likhov pereulok, Moscow, 127051, Russian Federation; ORCID: 0000-0001-7252-5947
*According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, the degree of Candidate of Sciences (Cand.Sc.) belongs to ISCED level 8 — "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar.
The article is written in 2018 within the framework of the project "Church and School in Russia in the period 1900-1918" supported by PSTGU Development Foundation.