This article analyzes one ofthe most important and difficult educational problems — the problem of defining the goals of education in the composition by M. M. Manaseina «Fundamentals of education from the early years of life and until the end of university education». The scientist examines various opinions and views on the purpose of education provided in philosophical and pedagogical literature , and concludes on the need to revise the approach to goal setting. Manaseina points out and substantiates failure of «ideological» and «individualistic» definitions from the position of scientific data in the fields of medicine, psychology, sociology and pedagogics; she offers as the goal of education the preparation of the child for his upcoming fight with himself and with the world around him. A look at the nature of the child, which is due to the original fall, subjects to sin and has bad, evil selfish inclinations, and the status of a person «among the people» led to the formulation of the scientific objectives of education. Of particular interest and value is the assertion of M. M. Manaseina that mental health needs struggle with sin, with its own self-interest through the introduction to the high ideals of the Christian religion and ethics. Faith and religion are defined as essential and indispensable conditions for the development and improvement of every person and of all humanity. And as a result, quite categorical requirements for professional skills of a teacher are put forward. Today, when setting the goals of education it is important to be consistent with the national spiritual values, Manaseina's concept of religious education is of interest for the theory and teaching practice.
M. M Manaseina's pedagogical concept, religious education, basic education, the nature of the child, altruistic and selfish aims of education, preparation for the fight, christian's ideals, faith, religion
1. Pidkasistyj P. I. (ed.) Pedagogika: Uchebnoe posobie dlja studentov pedagogicheskih vuzov i pedagogicheskih kolledzhej (Pedagogics: Textbook for Pedagogic Students), Moscow, 1998.
2. Pirogov N. I. Voprosy zhizni (Life Questions), in http://nayanaworld.com/publ/voprosy_zhizni/1-1-0-120 (Date: 23.08.2013)
3. Podlasyj I. P. Pedagogika: Uchebnoe posobie (Pedagogics: Textbook), Moscow, 2000, vol. 1.
4. Stoljarov A. A. 1991 “Avgustin. Zhizn'. Uchenie” (Augustine. Life. Teaching), in Avrelij Avgustin. Ispoved', Moscow, 1991.
5. Trubeckoj E. N. Smysl zhizni (Sense of Life), Moscow, 1994.
6. Ushinskij K. D. 1948–1952 “Pedagogicheskie sochinenija Pirogova” (Pedagogical Works of Pirogov), in Sobr. soch., Moscow, Leningrad, 1948–1952, vol. 3.
7. Shhurkova N. E. Obraz zhizni, dostojnoj Cheloveka, i ego formirovanie u shkol'nika (Metodicheskoe posobie dlja pedagogov shkoly) (Mode of Life, Worth for Human, and Its Forming by a School Pupile), Smolensk, 1995.