Some remarks on the sources of the Unia theology at the turn of the 17th and 18th centuries. For the 300th anniversary of the Council of Zamość, 1720
Korzo Margarita (2020)
"Some remarks on the sources of the Unia theology at the turn of the 17th and 18th centuries. For the 300th anniversary of the Council of Zamość, 1720 ",
Vestnik Pravoslavnogo Sviato-Tikhonovskogo gumanitarnogo universiteta.
Seriia II : Istoriia. Istoriia Russkoy Pravoslavnoy Tserkvi
pp. 53-67 (in Russian).
DOI of the paper: 10.15382/sturII202097.53-67
The Council of the Uniate Church held in the Polish city of Zamość in 1720 can be considered as an important milestone in the process of confessional identity formation of this church. Published by the decision of the Council in 1722 in the town Supraśl, the doctrinal compendium Sobranie pripadkov kratkoe (‘A short collection of cases’) was addressed to both the clergy and ordinary believers. This article undertakes for the first time a source analysis of Sobranie pripadkov, the authorship of which is traditionally attributed to Metropolitan Lev (Kiszka, 1633–1728). The relation of Sobranie pripadkov to two earlier works of the Metropolitan was analysed: the fi rst was published 1693 in Lublin in Polish, the second was a Cyrillic edition of ca. 1697, preserved in bad condition and without title page in the collection of the State Historical Museum (Moscow). As a result of the study, it was found out that the version of 1693 is an abstract presentation of the theological and canonical treatises of the Milanese Martino Bonacina (1585–1631). Material borrowed from Bonacina is expanded in the version ca. 1697 through instructive examples of Western origin and polemical theology of the Jesuit Bellarmino; and in the fi nal version of 1722 the material is supplemented by a number of fragments from the canon law treatises, quotations from theological and liturgical works. In its signifi cance, Sobranie pripadkov is comparable to the posttridental Roman Catechism (1566). Throughout the 18th century, the doctrinal compendium of the Council of Zamość was reprinted many times with various additions and changes; by the end of the century Sobranie pripadkov gains signifi cant circulation in parish practice.
Zamość Council, Unia Theology, Lev Kiszka, Sobranie pripadkov kratkoe (‘A short collection of cases’), Catholic theology, Martino Bonacina
- Castronovo V. (1969) “Bonacina, Martino”, in Dizionario Biografi co degli Italiani, vol. II. Roma, pp. 466–468.
- Kažuro I. (2019) Vilniaus bazilĳ onų vienuolyno spaustuvės veikla 1628–1839 m. Daktaro disertacĳa. Vilnius.
- Korzo M. (2007) Ukrainskaia i belorusskaia katekheticheskaia traditsiia kontsa XVI — XVIII vv.: stanovlenie, evoliutsiia i problema zaimstvovanii [Ukrainian and Belorus’ Catechetical Tradition, the 16th — 18th Centuries: Formation, Evolution and Problem of Borrowings]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Senyk S. (1990) “The Ukrainian Church and Latinization”. Orientalia Christiana Periodica, 56 (1), pp. 165–187.
- Skochyljas I. (1999) “Protokoly general’nyh vizytacĳ cerkov Kyi’vs’koi’ uniats’koi’ mytropolii’ XVIII stolittja (na prykladi nedatovanoi’ jepyskops’koi’ revizii’ Shhyrec’kogo namisnyctva)” [Protocols of General Visitations of Churches of the Kyiv Uniate Metropolitanate of the 18th Century (On the Example of an undated Episcopal Audit of the Shchyrets Governorate)]. Zapysky Naukovogo tovarystva im. Shevchenka, 238, pp. 434−514 (in Ukrainian).
- Sutorius K. V. (2018) “Nravstvennoe bogoslovie v Kievo-Mogilianskoi akademii po materialam rukopisnykh istochnikov” [Moral Theology in the Kyiv-Mohyla Academy based on Manuscript Sources]. Vestnik Sankt-Peterburgskogo universiteta. Istoriia, 63 (1), pp. 5–28 (in Russian).
- Touati F.-O. (2000) “Contagion and Leprosy: Myth, Ideas and Evolution in Medieval Minds and Societies”, in L. I. Conrad, D. Wujastyk (eds) Contagion: Perspectives from Pre-Modern Society. Aldershot: Ashgate, pp. 179–202.
Information about the author
Korzo Margarita Academic Degree:
Candidate of Sciences*
in History; Place of work:
Institute of Philosophy, Russian Academy of Sciences; 12/1 Goncharnaia Str., Moscow 109240, Russian Federation; Post:
Senior Research Fellow; ORCID: 0000-0001-6299-5187
*According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, the degree of Candidate of Sciences (Cand.Sc.) belongs to ISCED level 8 — "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar.