This article is devoted to the problem of relations between professor of Moscow University P. G. Vinogradov and his students. During his work at the Department of World History, Faculty of History and Philology, Imperial Moscow University, Professor Vinogradov had the opportunity to off er candidates to be left at the university with the aim of preparation for professorship. We have identifi ed 14 instances when Vinogradov did this. The nominees were always students well known to the professor. He made their acquaintance during his seminars in World History, they wrote their dissertations under his supervision. Two of his students, A. N. Savin and M. M. Khvostov, became professors of Russian universities, having defended their master’s and doctoral theses before the revolution. D. N. Egorov was a teacher at Moscow University, he obtained professorship in summer 1917. Most students of Vinogradov did not succeed in master’s examinations. However, some of them continued their academic work during Soviet times and came to be prominent fi gures in the academia of the new era. This article identifies all students of Vinogradov at Moscow University (two students were not left for the preparation; one of them, who was considered Vinogradov’s student, was formally left by V. I. Ger’ye), gives an outline of their subsequent career, describes characteristic features of professor’s work with those he was in charge of.
P. G. Vinogradov, Vinogradov’s students, system of training of historians, academic community of historians of Moscow University, successor in science, intellectual dialogue, academic tradition
- Antoshchenko A. (2010) Russkii liberal-anglofi l P. G. Vinogradov [Russian Liberal Anglophile P. G. Vinogradov]. Petrozavodsk (in Russian).
- Boginskii A. (2012) Istoriya sem’i Gol’denveizer: XIX — XX vv. [History of the Goldenweiser Family: 19th — 20th Centuries], in Nauchnye trudy po iudaike, vol. III/42, pp. 218–234 (in Russian).
- Malygin O. (2015) “N. M. Nikol’skii i sozdanie pervogo sovetskogo uchebnika po drevnei istorii dlia shkol” [N. M. Nikolsky and Making the First Soviet Textbook on Ancient History for Schools], in Sbornik nauchnyh statei Vserossiiskoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii s mezhdunarodnym uchastiem, posvyashchennyi 85-letiiu so dnia obrazovaniia Hanty-Mansiiskogo avtonomnogo okruga — Iugry [Collection of Scientifi c Articles of the All-Russian Scientific and Practical Conference with International Participation in Honour of the 85th Anniversary of Khanty-Mansiysk Autonomous Region — Yugra]. Nizhnevartovsk, pp. 218–219 (in Russian).
- Miagkov G., Ivanova T. (2013) “Shkola V.I. Ger’e: osnovnye cherty i mesto v nauchnom prostranstve Rossii” [System of Training of V. I. Ger’e: Main Features and Place in the Scientifi c Space of Russia»], in Dialog so vremenem, 44, pp. 165–185 (in Russian).
- Moravskaya A. (1997) “130 let so dnia rozhdeniia Sergeia Pavlovicha Moravskogo (1866–1942)” [130th Anniversary of Sergei Pavlovich Moravsky (1866–1942)], in Biulleten’ Vserossĳskoi Associacii medievistov i istorikov rannego novogo vremeni, 8, pp. 31–35 (in Russian).
- Naumov P. (2018) “Ucheniki R. Yu. Vippera” [Vipper’s students], in Vestnik Pravoslavnogo Sviato-Tikhonovskogo gumanitarnogo universiteta. Seriia II: Istoriia. Istoriia Russkoi Pravoslavnoi Tserkvi, 80, pp. 77–92 (in Russian).
- Sitnik V. (1976) M. N. Kovalenskii — istorik i pedagog [M. N. Kovalensky, Historian and Teacher]. Voronezh (in Russian).
- Shakhanov A. (2003) Russkaia istoricheskaia nauka vtoroi poloviny XIX — nachala XX veka [Russian Historical Science of the Second Half of the 19th — Early 20th Centuries]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Sharova A. (2012) “Aleksandr Nikolaevich Savin: neizvestnaia zhizn’ izvestnogo istorika” [Alexander Nikolaevich Savin: Unknown Life of the Famous Historian], in Odissei: chelovek v istorii, pp. 212–243 (in Russian).
- Sharova A. (2012) “«Otstal ot veka?» V.I. Ger’e i A.N. Savin” [“Behind the Century?” V.I. Ger’e and A.N. Savin], in Istoricheskaya nauka i obrazovanie v Rossii i na Zapade: sud’by istorikov i nauchnyh shkol [Historical Science and Education in Russia and the West: Fates of Historians and Academic Schools], pp. 35‒37 (in Russian).
- Starkova N. (2005) “Problemy istorii Drevnei Sparty v trudakh kazanskikh antikovedov rubezha 19‒20 vv.” [Problems of History of Ancient Sparta in Works of Scholars of Antiquity from Kazan of the Turn of 19th — 20th Centuries], in Kazanskii universitet kak issledovatel’skoe i sociokul’turnoe prostranstvo [Kazan University as an Academic and Socio-Cultural Space]. Kazan, pp. 266–273 (in Russian).
- Tsygankov D. (2014). “Soobshchestvo moskovskikh vseobshchikh istorikov vo vtoroi polovine XIX veka” [Academic Community of World Historians in Moscow], in Terra Europa: Intellektual’noe prostranstvo moskovskikh istorikov vtoroi poloviny XIX veka [Terra Europa: Intellectual Space of Moscow Historians of the Second Half of the 19th Century]. Moscow, pp. 11–173 (in Russian).
- Volobuev O. (2014) “Shkol’nye uchebniki nachala XX veka po russkoi istorii: funktsional’nost’ i tipologiia” [School Textbooks on Russian History of the Early Twentieth Century: Functionality and Typology], in Rossiiskaya istoriia, vol. 1, pp. 95–110 (in Russian).
- Zabugina E. (2017) “Pedagogicheskaia i obshchestvennaia deiatel’nost’ istorika S. P. Moravskogo” [Pedagogical and Social Work of the Historian S. P. Moravskiy], in Vestnik Samarskogo universiteta. Istoriia, pedagogika, filologiia, 23/l, pp. 21–25 (in Russian).
- Zubkov I. (2011) “Nauchnye pedagogicheskie obshchestva. Pedagogicheskoe obshchestvo pri Moskovskom universitete” [Scientific Educational Societies. Educational Society at Moscow University], in Samoorganizaciya rossiiskoi obshchestvennosti v poslednei treti XVIII — nachale XX v. [Self-Organisation of the Russian Public in the Last Third of the 18th — Early 20th Centuries]. Moscow, pp. 651–661 (in Russian).
Tsigankov Dmitry Academic Degree:
Candidate of Sciences*
in History; Place of work:
St. Tikhon’s Orthodox University for the Humanities; 23B Novokuznetskaia Str., Moscow, 115184, Russian Federation; Moscow State University; 27/4 Lomonosovskiy Prospect, Moscow 119192, Russian Federation; Ss Cyril and Methodius Institute of Postgraduate Studies; 4/2/5 Piatnitskaia Str., Moscow 115035, Russian Federation; Post:
Head of Departement of Russian History, Faculty of History; Associate Professor, Department of Russian History in the 19th and the Beginning of the 20th Centuries; Associate Professor, Departement of Church History; ORCID: 0000-0003-3005-503Х
*According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, the degree of Candidate of Sciences (Cand.Sc.) belongs to ISCED level 8 — "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar.
Naumov Pavel Student status:
Graduate student; Place of study:
Moscow State University; 1 Leninskie Gory str., Moscow, 119192, Russian Federation; Post:
assistant lecturer at the faculty of history at St.Tikhon's Orthodox University; ORCID: 0000-0002-4353-8711