League of Churches: on one unimplemented project of the Patriarchate of Constantinople
Chibisova Anastasiya (2019)
"League of Churches: on one unimplemented project of the Patriarchate of Constantinople ",
Vestnik Pravoslavnogo Sviato-Tikhonovskogo gumanitarnogo universiteta.
Seriia II : Istoriia. Istoriia Russkoy Pravoslavnoy Tserkvi
pp. 51-71 (in Russian).
DOI of the paper: 10.15382/sturII201987.51-71
This paper is devoted to the League of Churches, a unique integration project of the Constantinople Patriarchate which had been actively developed since 1919. The League of Churches is an organisation modelled on the League of Nations. In the early 1920s it was incorporated into the context of the actively developing idea of Constantinople as the “pivot of the world’s Orthodoxy” and was also a result of the post-war pacifi sm. In Russian historiography, scholars who encounter the phenomenon of the League of Churches usually confi ne themselves to only one document, i.e. the Encyclical of the Patriarch of Constantinople dated January 1920. The aim of this article is to introduce new sources on this topic and to attract scholarly attention to it. It draws on the analysis of foreign materials that were little used by Russian scholars before and examines the League of Churches in two perspectives, namely as a supranational ecclesiopolitical organisation supposed to provide a spiritual foundation for the implementation of the Greek “Great Idea” in Asia Minor, and, secondly, as a purely ecclesiastical project of an international organisation for establishing a dialogue between Christian denominations. The conclusion of the article is that the League of Churches came to be most viable just as an ecumenical project, in the fi rst hand designed to forge links of the Constantinople Patriarchate with international community, with the help of which Phanar was planning to survive in conditions of strong pressure from the authorities of Republican Turkey on the Orthodox church.
Patriarchate of Constantinople, League of Churches, League of Nations, Phanar, integration, Ecumenism, Megali Idea, Paris Peace Conference, Encyclical of 1920, koinonia, Faith and Order, Life and Work, Episcopal Church of the United States
- Alexandris A. (1992) The Greek Minority of Istanbul and Greek-Turkish Relations 1918–1974. Athens.
- van der Bent A. J. (1994) Historical Dictionary of Ecumenical Christianity. Metuchen.
- Ermilov P. (2016) “Diskussii kontsa XIX — pervoi poloviny XX v. o prave sozyva Vsepravoslavnogo sobora” [Discussions of the Late 19th — First Half of the 20th Centuries about the Right to Convene a Pan-Orthodox Council]. Gosudarstvo, religiia, tserkov’ v Rossii i za rubezhom. Vsepravoslavnyi sobor: podgotovka, povestka, kontekst, 2016, vol. 1, pp. 308–332 (in Russian).
- Fomin A. (2010) Voina s prodolzheniem. Velikobritaniia i Frantsiia v bor’be za «osmanskoe nasledstvo» 1918–1923 [War with a Continuation. Great Britain and France in the Struggle for the Ottoman Succession, 1918‒1923]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Gerd L. (2006) Konstantinopol’ i Peterburg. Tserkovnaia politika Rossii na pravoslavnom vostoke (1878–1898) [Constantinople and Petersburg. Church Policy of Russia in the Orthodox East]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Gerd L. (2017) “Anglikanskaia Tserkov’ i Konstantinopol’skaia patriarkhiia v kontse XIX — nachale XX vv.” [Anglican Church and Constantinople Patriarchate in the Late 19th — Early 20th Centuries]. Khristianskoe chtenie, 2017, vol. 1, pp. 351–368 (in Russian).
- Kamouzes D. (2011) “Apo “Soteras tes phyles”, “Euergetes ton Tourkon”: O Benizelos kai e ethnikistike egetike omada ton Romion tes Konstantinoupoles, 1918–1930”. Deltio Kentrou Mikrasiastikon Spoude, 2011, vol. 17, Athens, pp. 151–193 (in Greek).
- Özdalga E. (ed.) (2006) The Last Dragoman: Swedish Orientalist Johannes Kolmodin as Scholar, Activist, and Diplomat. Istanbul.
- Petrunina O. (2010) Grecheskaia natsiia i gosudarstvo v XVIII–XX vv.: Ocherki politicheskogo razvitiia [Greek Nation and State in the 18th — 20th Centuries: Essays in Political Development]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Schulz G. (2011) “Der Ausschuss für die Vereinigung der Kirchen des Landes Konzils der Orthodoxn Kirche in Russland”, in Orthodoxie und Reformation — mehr als ein 50-jähriger Dialog. Berlin.
- Sundkler B. (1968) Nathan Sö derblom. His Life and Work. Uppsala.
- Tsetses G. (1988) E symbole tou Oikoumenikou Patriarkheiou ster idryse tou Pankosmiou Symbouliou. Ekklesion. Thessaloniki (in Greek).
Information about the author
Chibisova Anastasiya Student status:
Graduate student; Place of study:
Lomonosov Moscow State University; 27/4 Lomonosovskii Prospect, Moscow 119192, Russian Federation; ORCID: 0000-0003-3698-5836