Reports of the Minister of Education P. Zavadovsky as a source of the history of the Ministry
Gracheva Yulia (2018)
"Reports of the Minister of Education P. Zavadovsky as a source of the history of the Ministry ",
Vestnik Pravoslavnogo Sviato-Tikhonovskogo gumanitarnogo universiteta.
Seriia II : Istoriia. Istoriia Russkoy Pravoslavnoy Tserkvi
pp. 96-109 (in Russian).
DOI of the paper: 10.15382/sturII201883.96-109
This article analyses Count P.V. Zavadovsky’s policy as Minister of Education in the Russian Empire in the early 19th century. The aim is to evaluate Zavadovsky’s contribution to the formation of the system of public education and his role in increasing the number of educational institutions. The task of the minister was not only to promote the transformation of gymnasiums, provincial schools and parish schools according to a new plan and try to increase the number of educated people in the country, but also to be in charge of the reasonable spending of state funds allocated to educational institutions. The article shows the stages of Zavadovsky’s civil service, his great administrative experience in the fi eld of education, which impelled Emperor Alexander I to appoint Zavadovsky head of the recently established Ministry of Education. The author of the article has revealed a full set of the minister’s reports to His Imperial Majesty, a signifi cant part of which is being made public for the fi rst time. The reports consisted of the minister’s presentations to the emperor and a large number of documents that refl ected the main activities of the ministry over the past year. In addition to his signifi cant success, Zavadovsky also mentioned the diffi culties that had to be faced in the process of the educational reform. The article pays special attention to the activities of the Committee for the inspection of reports to His Imperial Majesty, which examined in detail the documents submitted by the minister to the emperor. The conclusion of the article is that Zavadovsky’s yearly reports to His Imperial Majesty allow us to study in detail the stages of the activity of the Ministry of Education in the first years of its existence, during which the minister played a key role.
Ministry of Public Education, P. V. Zavadovsky, educational institutions, yearly reports to His Imperial Majesty, Committee for the inspection of ministerial reports, Alexander I
- Аndreev, Аndrej Yu. (2010) “F.-S. Lagarp i razrabotka reformy narodnogo obrazovaniya v Rossii” [“F.-S. Laharpe and the Preparation of the Reform of Education in Russia”]. Rossĳskaya istoriya, 2010, vol. 6, pp. 40‒46 (in Russian).
- Аndreev, А., Tozato-Rigo, D. (eds.) (2014) Imperator Аleksandr I i Frederik-Sezar Lagarp: Pis’ma. Dokumenty [The Emperor Alexander I and Frederick-Cesar Laharpe: Letters. Documents], vol. 1: 1782–1802. Moscow (in Russian).
- Аndreev, А., Tozato-Rigo, D. (eds.) (2017) Imperator Аleksandr I i Frederik-Sezar Lagarp: Pis’ma. Dokumenty [The Emperor Alexander I and Frederick-Cesar Laharpe: Letters. Documents], vol. 2: 1802–1815. Moscow, 2017 (in Russian).
- Khoteenkov, V. F., Cherneta, V. G. (2002) “Pervyj ministr narodnogo prosveshheniya Rossĳ skoj Imperii graf Petr Vasil’evich Zavadovskĳ ” [“First Minister of Public Education of the Russian Empire Count Peter Zavadovsky”], in Ocherki istorii rossĳskogo obrazovaniya: K 200-letiyu Ministerstva obrazovaniya Rossĳ skoj Federatsii [Studies of the History of Russian Education: Commemorating the 200th Anniversary of the Ministry of Education of the Russian Federation]. Moscow, vol. 1, pp. 10‒52 (in Russian).
- Petrov, Fedor А. (2002) Formirovanie sistemy universitetskogo obrazovaniya v Rossii. T. 2: Stanovlenie sistemy universitetskogo obrazovaniya v Rossii v pervye desyatiletiya 19 veka [“Formation of the University Education System in Russia, vol. 2: Formation of the University Education System in Russia in the First Decades of the 19th Century”]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Pozdnyakov, Аleksandr N. (2017) “Obrazovatel’naya reforma Аleksandra I po otchetam ministra narodnogo prosveshheniya (1802–1804 gg.)” [“Educational Reform of Alexander I according to the Reports of the Minister of Public Education (1802‒1804)”], in Istoricheskoe proshloe i obrazy istorii: materialy III Mezhdunarodnoj nauchnoj konferentsii, posvyashhennoj 100-letiyu istoricheskogo obrazovaniya v Saratovskom universitete [Historical past and Images of History: Materials of the 3rd International Scientifi c Conference Devoted to the 100th Anniversary of Historical Education at Saratov University], Saratov, pp. 108‒114 (in Russian).
- Prikhod’ko, Mikhail А. Uchrezhdenie ministerskoj sistemy upravleniya v Rossii v 1802–1835 gg.: Pravovoj aspect, available at: https://histrf.ru/uploads/media/default/0001/09/381fb1c62250054169cd6a4f54ddded2dbdf0678.pdf. (16.04.2018).
- Zhukovskaya, Tat’yana N. (2013) “Prosvetitel’skie proekty «molodykh druzej» i sozdanie ministerstva narodnogo prosveshheniya (1802)” [“Educational Projects of “Young Friends” and Inception of the Ministry of Public Education”], in Vlast’, obshhestvo, armiya: Sbornik nauchnykh statej [Power, Society, Army: Collection of Scientifi c Papers], St Peterburg, pp. 181–191 (in Russian).
Information about the author
Gracheva Yulia Academic Degree:
Candidate of Sciences*
in History; Place of work:
St. Tikhon’s Orthodox University for the Humanities; 23B Novokuznetskaia Str., Moscow, 115184, Russian Federation; ORCID: 0000-0002-2220-9361
*According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, the degree of Candidate of Sciences (Cand.Sc.) belongs to ISCED level 8 — "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar.