M. R. Štefanik’s attitude to Russia, Revolution 1917 and bolshevism
Kolesnikov Boris (2018)
"M. R. Štefanik’s attitude to Russia, Revolution 1917 and bolshevism ",
Vestnik Pravoslavnogo Sviato-Tikhonovskogo gumanitarnogo universiteta.
Seriia II : Istoriia. Istoriia Russkoy Pravoslavnoy Tserkvi
pp. 120-128 (in Russian).
DOI of the paper: 10.15382/sturII201883.120-128
This article identifi es and gives an outline of views of Milan Rastislav Štefánik, one of the leaders of the Czechoslovak national movement, on the Russian revolution and bolshevism. The article also touches upon problems of the Czechoslovak national movement as Russia played the main role in their solution. In the course of his trips to Russia, Štefánik took a positive attitude to our country. During his fi rst journey to Russia in 1906–1907, he had an opportunity to become comprehensively familiar with the country, explore and get to love its vast expanse because from St Petersburg he set out for Tashkent. In the future he came to be a witness of events taking place in Russia in the period of revolution and civil war. Revolutionary events of 1917 have convinced Štefánik that Russia is losing its positions of a strong and infl uential country and cannot support the national movemenets of Czechs and Slovaks. The scholar considered bolshevism to be a reason for the decline of Russia. He regarded bolshevism as a threat that might like a bonfi re spread onto other nations. Because of this he regarded his activity for the strengthening of the military readiness of Czechoslovac legions in Siberia as his contribution to the resistance to bolshevists’ ideas.
Russian revolution, bolshevism, Russia, subjective perception, Czechs and Slovaks in Russia, M. R. Štefánik, sources of personal origin, civil war, Czechoslovak Legion, astronomic expedition, diplomacy
- Amort, Ch., Klevanskii, A., Nedorezov, A., Pivoluska, J. (eds.) (1973) Dokumenty i materiaiy po istorii sovetsko-chekhoslovatskikh otnoshenii. T. 1: noiabr’ 1917 — avgust 1922 [Documents and Materials for the History of Soviet-Czechoslovak Relations. Vol. 1: November 1917 — August 1922]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Anvarbek, Farid (2006) “V Turkestan za solnechnym zatmeniem, kotoroe zatmil sneg” [“Going to Turkestan to Observe the Solar Eclipse, which was Eclipsed by Snow”]. Zerkalo: obshchestvennoinformatsionnyi ezhenedel’nik, 17.11.2006 (in Russian).
- Cheshsko-slovatskii (Chekhoslovatskii) korpus. 1914‒1920. Dokumenty i materialy. T. 1. Cheshskoslovatskie voennye formirovaniia v Rossii. 1914‒1917 gg. [The Czech and Slovak (Czechodlovak) Corps. 1914‒1920. Documents and Materials. Vol. 1. The Czech and Slovak Military Units in Russia. 1914‒1917]. Moscow, 2013 (in Russian).
- Fuska, J. (1999) M. R. Štefánik v myšlenkach a obrazoch. Bratislava.
- Janin, M. (1923) Moje účast na československém boji za svobodu. Praha.
- Juríček, J. (1969) M. R. Štefánik. Životopisný náčrt. Bratislava.
- Husar, Jozef (2001) “Milan Rastislav Štefánik — astronom i politik” [“Milan Rastislav Štefáni, Astronomer and Politician”], in Milan Rastislav Štefánik: novyi vzgliad [Milan Rastislav Štefánik: New Look], Martin: Neographia, pp. 20‒27 (in Russian).
- Klevanskii, Aleksandr Kh. (1965) Chekhoslovatskie internatsionalisty i prodannyi korpus [Czechoslovak Interationalists and the Sold Corps]. Moscow: Nauka (in Russian).
- Kolchinskii, I., Korsun’, A., Rodriges, M. (eds.) (1986) Astromomy: Biografi cheskii spravochnik [Astronomers: Biographical Reference Book]. Kiev (in Russian).
- Lakomyi, F. (2001) “Doklad professora Lakomogo o prebyvanii M.R. Štefánika v Sibiri” [Professor Lakomy’s Report on M.R. Štefánik’s Stay in Siberia], in Milan Rastislav Štefánik: novyi vzgliad [Milan Rastislav Štefánik: New Look], Martin: Neographia, pp. 152‒157.
- “Materialy nabliudenii za M.R. Štefánikom” [“Materials of Observing M.R. Štefánik”], in Milan Rastislav Štefánik: novyi vzgliad [Milan Rastislav Štefánik: New Look], Martin: Neographia, pp. 132‒145 (in Russian).
- Moroz, V. (2000) “Tolstovskii listok” [“Tolstoi’s Leafl et”]. Moscow, 2000, issues 12‒13 (in Russian).
- Serapionova, Elena P. (2009) “Chelovek-legenda Milan Rastislav Štefánik: ucheyi, politik, general” [“Legendary Person Milan Rastislav Štefánik: Scientist, Politician, General”], in Do i posle Versalia. Politicheskie lidery i ideia natsional’nogo gosudarstva v Tsentral’noi i Iugo-Vostochnoi Evrope [Before and After Versailles. Political Leaders and the Idea of National State in South-Eastern Europe]. Moscow, pp. 356‒373 (in Russian).
- Polivka V. (ed.) (1928) Korespondencia Dr. Milana Rastislava Štefánika. Banská Bystrica.
- Varsik, M. (1990) M. R. Štefánik. Bratislava.
- Zadorozhniuk, Ella G. (2001) “Milan Rastislav Štefánik i Tomaš Garrigue Masaryk: zhizni i sud’by” [“Milam Rastislav Štefánik and Tomaš Garrigue Masaryk: Lives and Fates”], in Milan Rastislav Štefánik: novyi vzgliad [Milan Rastislav Štefánik: New Look], Martin: Neographia, pp. 57‒82 (in Russian).
Information about the author
Kolesnikov Boris Student status:
Graduate student; Place of study:
Volgograd State University, 100 Universitetsky Avenue, Volgograd, 400062, Russian Federation; post-graduate student; ORCID: 0000-0003-0539-0688