Passion of St. Crispina
Rosenblum Eugene (2017)
"Passion of St. Crispina ",
Vestnik Pravoslavnogo Sviato-Tikhonovskogo gumanitarnogo universiteta.
Seriia II : Istoriia. Istoriia Russkoy Pravoslavnoy Tserkvi
pp. 113-121 (in Russian).
DOI of the paper: 10.15382/sturII201777.113-121
This publication introduces the fi rst Russian translation of St. Crispina’s Passion.
St. Crispina was beheaded in the Roman African city of Theveste on 5th December,
304, during the Great Persecution. The wide popularity of her cult in Roman Africa was
attested by St. Augustine. St. Crispina was the last Christian martyr in Africa before the
Donatist Schism and was venerated by both Donatists and Orthodox Christians. Various
stages of the Passion’s “Donatisation” are represented in various manuscripts. Modern
scholars are familiar with three manuscripts containing the Passion of St. Crispina.
Two of them were published in the 17th century by Mabillon and Ruinart respectively.
Both of these manuscripts perished later. The last manuscript was published in the 20th
century by P. Franchi de Cavalieri and was later reprinted in H. Musurillo’s edition of
Acta Martyrum. It is regarded as the most authentic MS. The original text of the Passion
of St. Crispina was probably composed in the fi rst half of the 4th century. It has no
features of the later hagiographic tradition such as the abundance of miracles, detailed
description of tortures, etc. On the other hand, it is an elaborate text with its own ideas
and style, and does not look like mere court proceedings. The Russian translation
being published here is based on Franchi de Cavalieri’s and Musurillo’s edition. The
discrepancies between this edition and those of Mabillon and Ruinart are mentioned
in the footnotes.
St. Crispina, Acta martyrum, Great Persecution, Diocletian, North African Church, Donatist schism, martyrdom, Roman Africa, hagiography, Annulinus
- Castelli G. 1975. Osservazioni sulla lingua della «Passio Sanctae Crispinae», Forma Futuri. Studi in onore del cardinale Michele Pellegrino. Torino, 587-594.
- Dalvit M. 2013. Ecclesia martyrum. Analisi del corpus martirologico donatista [Tesi di dottorato]. Padova.
- Franchi de' Cavalieri P. 1902. Osservazioni sopra gli Attidis. Crispina, Studi e Testi. 9, 24-35.
- Franchi de' Cavalieri P. (ed.). 1902. Passio Crispinae, Studi e testi. 9, 32-35.
- Hunink V. 2016. Worlds drifting apart. Notes on the Acta Martyrum Scillitanorum, Commentaria Classica. 3, 93-112.
- Jones A. H. M., Martindale J. R., Morris J. 1971-1992. The Prosopography of the Later Roman Empire. Cambridge.
- Mabillon J. (ed.) 1723. Passio Sanctae Crispinae, Vetera analecta. Paris, 177-178.
- Monceaux P. 1901-1923. Histoire Littéraire de l’Afrique chrétienne depuis les origines jusq’à l’invasion arabe. Paris.
- Morcelli S. A. 1816-1817. Africa Christiana. Brescia.
- Musurillo H. 2000. Introduction, The Acts of the Christian Martyrs. Oxford, xi-lxxiii.
- Musurillo H. (ed.) 2000. Passio Sanctae Crispinae, The Acts of the Christian Martyrs. Oxford, 302-308.
- Nakamura B. J. 2003. When Did Diocletian Die? New Evidence for an Old Problem, Classical Philology. Vol. 98, 283-289.
- Panteleev A. D. 2013. Akty Maksimiliana: vstupitel'naia stat'ia, perevod i kommentarii, Religiia. Tserkov'. Obshchestvo. 2, 240-262.
- Payne Ph. 2006. Wild Hair and Gender Equality in 1 Corinthians 11:2-16, Priscilla Papers. Vol. 20. No. 3, 9-16.
- Romanelli P. 1959. Storia delle province romane dell’Africa. Roma.
- Ruinart Th. (ed.) 1859. Passio Sanctae Crispinae, Acta primorum martyrum sincera et selecta. Regensburg, 476-479.
- Saxer V. 1994. Afrique latine, Hagiographies. Histoire internationale de la littérature hagiographique latine et vernaculaire en Occident des origines à 1550. Turnhout. Vol. 1, 25-95.
- Smyshliaev A. L. 1997. Civilis dominatio: Rimskii namestnik v provintsial'nom gorode, Vestnik drevnei istorii. 3, 24-35.
- Tilley M. A. 1996. Donatist Martyr Stories. The Church in Conflict in Roman North Africa. Liverpool.
Information about the author
Rosenblum Eugene Place of work:
Moscow State University; 27 building 4 Lomonosov Avenue, Moscow 119192, Russian Federation; Graduate Student of the Department of Church History; ORCID: 0000-0003-2550-6510