The article is devoted to one of the main, but still insuﬃciently studied events of church history of the Moscow state in the beginning of the 16th century — to the Moscow Synod of the 1503. Тhe Synod was called for the strengthening of the canonic discipline in the Russian Church. However, the more important and sensitive issue, which was discussed at the council, was a problem of monastic land tenure. The discussion about the Church lands was inspired by the grand duke of Moscow Ivan III, aspiring to withdrawal of land possession of Church. Nevertheless, most of participants of the Synod has spoken out in defense of Church land tenure. The article attempts on the basis of the surviving sources to reconstruct a picture of synodal discussion on Church lands.
Russian Church, Grand Duchy of Moscow, Metropoly of Moscow, the Moscow Synod of 1503, Church land tenure, grand duke Ivan III, Metropolitan Simon, St Joseph of Volokolamsk, St. Neil of Sora
1. Alekseev A. I. Pod znakom kontsa vremen: Ocherki russkoi religioznosti kontsa XIV–XVI vv. Saint-Petersburg, 2002.
2. Begunov Iu. K. «Slovo inoe» — novonaidennoe proizvedenie russkoi publitsistiki XVI v. o bor'be Ivana III s zemlevladeniem Tserkvi, in TODRL. 1964. T. 20. P. 351–364.
3. Zimin A. A. Istochnikovedcheskie problemy istorii rannego nestiazhatel'stva, in Voprosy istoriografii i istochnikovedeniia. Kazan', 1974. P. 87–103.
4. Zimin A. A. Rossiia na rubezhe XV– XVI stoletii. Moscow, 1982.
5. Kazakova N. A. Vassian Patrikeev i ego sochineniia. Moscow; Leningrad, 1960.
6. Moiseeva G. N. Ob ideologii «nestiazhatelei», in Istoriia SSSR. 1961. № 2. P. 88–101.
7. Pliguzov A. I. Polemika v Russkoi Tserkvi pervoi treti XVI stoletiia. Moscow, 2002.
8. Pravoslavnaia entsiklopediia. T. 10. Moscow, 2005.
9. Romanenko E. V. Nil Sorskii i traditsii russkogo monashestva. Moscow, 2003.
10. Sedel'nikov A. D. K izucheniiu «Slova kratka» i deiatel'nosti dominikantsa Veniamina, in IORIaS. Leningrad, 1926. T. 30. P. 205–225.
11. Sedel'nikov A. D. Ocherki katolicheskogo vliianiia v Novgorode v kon. XV — nach. XVI v., in Doklady AN SSSR. Ser. V. Leningrad, 1929. № 1. P. 16–19.