The article concerns an iconoclastic deﬁnition of the Council of Constantinople of 815, which was proposed by Byzantine Emperor Leo V in the early 9th century. The author returns back to a forgotten discussion that dealt with a reconstruction of the deﬁnition made by Paul J. Alexander in 1953. The reconstruction was criticized by other researchers, but hagiography devoted to some contemporaries of the Council makes us to reﬂect on the Council’s attention to so-called «living images», which were opposed to the pieces of art, and interpretation of Gen. 1, 26. This is an important argument for the image theory, which was emphasized by Alexander. We do not try to make up a ﬁ nal conclusion, but to suggest some reﬂections for further research.
icon, iconoclasm, the theory of the holy image, the Council of Constantinople of 815, Methodios I of Constantinople, Ignatius the Deacon, Nikephoros I of Constantinople, Euthymios of Sardis, hagiography
1. Afinogenov D. E. 2008 “Evfimij” (Evfimij), in Pravoslavnaja jenciklopedija, 2008, vol. 17, p. 398.
2. Afinogenov D. E. Konstantinopol'skij patriarhat i ikonoborcheskij krizis v Vizantii (784–847) (Patriarchate of Constantinople and Iconoclastic Crisis in Byzantium), Moscow, 1997.
3. Vasil'evskij V. G. Trudy (Works), Petrograd, 1915, vol. 3.
4. Vasil'evskij V. G. Zhitie sv. Georgija Amastridskogo (Vita of St, George of Amastrida), in Vasil'evskij V. G. Trudy, Petrograd, 1915, vol. 3.
5. Ostrogorskij G. A. Istorija Vizantijskogo gosudarstva (History of Byzantine State), Moscow, 2011.
6. Alexander Р. 1953 “The Iconoclastic Council of St. Sophia (815) and Its Definition (Horos)”, in Dumbarton Oaks Papers, 1953, vol. 7, pp. 35–66.
7. Anastos M. 1954 “The ethical theory of images formulated by iconoclasts in 754 and 815”, in Dumbarton Oaks Papers, 1954, vol. 8, pp. 151–160.
8. Efthymiadis S. 1991 “On the Hagiographical Work of Ignatius the Deacon”, in Jahrbuch der Österreichischen Byzantinistik, 1991, vol. 41, pp. 73–83.
9. Efthymiadis S. The Life of the Patriarch Tarasios by Ignatios the Deacon, Aldershot, 1998.
10. 1987 “La vie d’Euthyme de Sardes († 831), une œuvre du patriarche Méthode”, in Gouillard J. (ed.) Travaux et Mémoires, 1987, vol. 10, pp. 1–101.
11. Makris G. Ignatios Diakonos und die Vita des Hl. Gregorios Dekapolites, Stuttgart, Leipzig, 1997.
12. Parry K. Depicting the Word: Byzantine Iconophile Thought of the Eighth and Ninth Centuries, Leiden, 1996.
13. Ševčenko I. Hagiography of the Iconoclast Period // Iconoclasm. Birmingham, 1977. P. 113–131.
14. 1998 “The Life of the Patriarch Tarasios by Ignatios the Deacon (BHG 1698). Introduction, Text, Translation and Commentary”, in Efthymiadis S. (ed.) Birmingham Byzantine and Ottoman Monographs, Aldershot, 1998, vol. 4.