Toward the Question of the Victims’ Number of Political Repressions for Orthodox Belief in Russia in ХХ century Somin Nikolay Vladimirovich The author oﬀ ers the technique of the approximate estimate of the general number of orthodox believers suﬀering for the Christ during XX century in Russia. The technique is based on the process’s analysis of the data input of new persons to the Database of New Russian martyrs and Confessors which has been developed in PSTGU. The feature of it is the number of «twins» in the Database, i.e. persons who already are in the Base. It assists making the conclusion concerning the general number of victims. For experiments the author used the incoming stream received from Base of the subjected to repression persons, developed by the Society the Memorial. The author brings results of calculations and necessary historical inquiries. As a result he makes the conclusion, that the general number of the Victims of Political Repression for Orthodox Belief in Russia during XX c. was about 100 thousand persons (with a margin error in 40 %).
Orthodoxy, persecution against the Church, the Church history in XX c., the Database «Victims for the Christ», the number of New Russian martyrs and Confessors, statistical methods.
1. Emel'janov N. E. 2005 “K voprosu o chisle novomuchenikov i ispovednikov Russkoj Pravoslavnoj Cerkvi v XX veke” (To Question of Number of New Martyrs and Confessors of Russian Orthodox Church in XX Century), in XV Ezhegodnaja Bogoslovskaja konferencija PSTGU, Moscow, 2005, vol. 1, pp. 265–271.
2. Baza dannyh PSTGU «Za Hrista postradavshie» (Database of PSTGU “Suffered for Christ”), in http://www.pstbi.ru/bin/code.exe/frames/m/ind_oem.html/charset/ans
3. Baza dannyh o zhertvah politicheskogo terrora v SSSR. Kompakt-disk. 3-e izd. «Memorial» (Database for Victims of Political Terror in USSR. Compact-Disc. 3rd Edition of “Memorial”), Moscow, 2004.
4. Mozohin O. B. Pravo na repressii. Vnesudebnye polnomochija organov gosudarstvennoj bezopasnosti: Statisticheskie svedenija o dejatel'nosti VChK-OGPU-NKVD-MGB SSSR (1918–1953) (Right for Repressions. Extrajudical Authorities of Agencies of State Security. Statistic Data about Activity of VChK-OGPU-NKVD-MGB in USSR (1918–1953)), Moscow, 2011.
5. Jakovlev A. N. «Po moshham i elej» (), Moscow, 1995.
6. Zemskov V. N. 1995 “K voprosu o masshtabah repressij v SSSR” (To Question of Scales of Repressions in USSR), in Sociologicheskie issledovanija, 1995, vol. 9, pp. 118–127.