In the early XXth century in Russia was tendency towards modernization of traditional religious consciousness, it was emerging in early XIXth century and formed in a religious movement with several directions. One of them was ‘social Christianity’ which ideology announced itself with the release of the book ‘Problems of Idealism’ (1903) and was developed in 1905–1907, mainly in the writings of the former Marxian S. N. Bulgakov. S. N. Bulgakov in his article ‘On social moralism’ (1904), declared that “the basis of the social world view is inevitable ethical truths that have religious roots”; soon the ideas of ‘Christian politics’ and ‘Christian socialism’ became public discussion. ‘Social Christianity’ for some time — in 1904–1909 years — became one of the adaptive forms of religious consciousness; at the same time close to idealism and to socialism, and in the practical implementation and Tolstoyism, it founded its supporters not only in the ranks of religious intellectuals, but also among the clergy. Among the supporters of ecclesiastical Christianity were those, who thought it possible to match the Orthodox with the political struggle for social transformation. Аs a variant of ‘social Christianity’, it was the activity of landlord N. N. Nepluev, who organized a labor society ‘CrestoVozdvĳenskoe bratstvo’. The society was oﬃcially authorized by the Church. In contrast to the ‘social Christians’ N. N. Nepluev did’t sought to reform the Russian Church, he adhered to the formulation “Orthodoxy, Autocracy, Nationality”, and believed that Orthodoxy in alliance with the autocracy is able to “harmonize” the life.
modernization of traditional religious consciousness, Bulgakov, Christian socialist, ‘Social Christianity’, Nepluev, Cresto-Vozdvĳenskoe bratstvo
1. Bulgakov S. Dva Grada: Issledovanie o prirode obshhestvennyh idealov (Two Cities: Study on Nature of Social Ideals), Moscow, 1911.
2. Vvedenskij A., prot. 1922 “Kto pojdet putem obnovlenija Cerkvi” (Who Will Go by the Way of Church Renewal), in Zhivaja Cerkov', Moscow, 1922, vol. 3, pp. 2–4.
3. Vvedenskij A., mitr. 1925 “Apologeticheskoe obosnovanie obnovlenchestva” (Apologetic Basing of Obnovlenchestvo), in Vestnik Svjashhennogo Sinoda Pravoslavnoj Rossijskoj Cerkvi, 1925, vol. 1, pp. 18–28.
4. Kejdan V. I. (ed.) Vzyskujushhie grada. Hronika chastnoj zhizni russkih religioznyh filosofov v pis'mah i dnevnikah (Craving for the City. Chronicle of Private Life of Russian Religious Philosophers in Letters and Diaries), Moscow, 1997.
5. Voprosy religii (Questions of Religion), Moscow, 1906.
6. Voroncova I. V. 2013 “Arhimandrit Feodor (A. M. Buharev) i problema «ploti i duha» v «neohristianstve». Na materiale pisem k diakonu A. A. Lebedevu“ (Archimandrate Feodor (A. M. Buharev) and Problem of „Flesh and Spirit“ in “Neocristianity”. On Material of Letters to Deacon A. A. Lebedev), in Vestnik PSTGU (II), 2013, vol. 2, pp. 7–21.
7. Voroncova I. V. 2013 “«Svobodnoe hristianstvo» ep. Mihaila (Semenova) i «social'nye» programmy 1905‒1915 gg.” (“Free Christianiry” of Bishop Mihail (Semenov) and “Social” Programms of 1905–1915), in Gumanitarnye nauki v Sibiri, 2013, vol. 2, pp. 52‒56.
8. Ivanova T. E. Obshhestvennyj ideal v russkoj social'noj mysli nachala XX veka: N. A. Berdjaev, S. N. Bulgakov, P. I. Novgorodcev, S. L. Frank: Dis. ... kand. sociol. nauk (Social Ideal in Russian Social Thought of Begin of XX Century: N. A. Berdjaev, S. N. Bulgakov, P. I. Novgorodcev, S. L. Frank: Dissertation). Saint-Petersburg, 1998.
9. Kartashev A. V. 1951 “Moi rannie vstrechi s o. Sergiem” (My Early Meetings with f. Sergij), in Pravoslavnaja mysl', Paris, 1951, vol. 8, pp. 47–55.
10. Matveeva N. Ju. Sociologicheskaja koncepcija S.N. Bulgakova: Dis. … kand. sociol. nauk (Sociological Concept of S. N. Bulgakov: Dissertation), Moscow, 2002.
11. Nepljuev N. N. Poln. sobr. soch. (Full Collection of Works), 1903, vol. III.
12. Ostanina O. V. Obnovlenchestvo i reformatorstvo v Russkoj Pravoslavnoj Cerkvi v nachale XX v.: Dis. … kand. filos. nauk (Obnovlenchestvo and Reform Movement in Russian Orthodox Church in Begin of XX Cent.: Dissertation), Leningrad, 1991.
13. Pankratov A. S. Ishhushhie Boga: Ocherki sovremennyh religioznyh iskanij i nastroenij (Searching God: Essays on Modern Religious Findings and Moods), Moscow, 1911, vol. 1.
14. Sidorov V. P. Hristianskij socializm v Rossii v konce XIX — nachale XX veka: Filosofsko-religiovedcheskij ocherk (Christian Socialism in Russia in End of XIX — Begin of XX Century: Philosophic-Religious Survey), Cherepovec, 1995.
15. Svencickij V. P. «Hristianskoe bratstvo bor'by» i ego programma (“Christian Brotherhood of Struggle” and Its Program), Moscow, 1906.
16. Solov'ev V. S. Sochinenija (Works), Moscow, 1989, vol. 1.
17. Titlinov B. V. 1925 “Istoricheskoe obosnovanie obnovlencheskogo dvizhenija” (Historical Basing of Obnovlencheskoje Movement), in Vestnik Svjashhennogo Sinoda Pravoslavnoj Rossijskoj Cerkvi, 1925, vol. 2, pp. 9–14.
18. 1905 “Uzheli jeto ne mistifikacija?” (Is it not a Mystification?), in Moskovskie vedomosti, 1905, vol. 164, 18 June, p. 2.
19. Feodor [Buharev], arhim. 1860 “O sovremennosti v otnoshenii k pravoslaviju” (About Modernity and Its Attitude to Orthodoxy), in Strannik. 1860, January, pp. 61–67; February, pp. 102–118.
20. Fetisov N., prot. 1927 “S novym godom!..” (Happy New Year!), in Ukrainskij pravoslavnyj blagovisnik, 1927, vol. 1, 1 January, pp. 1–4.
21. Hristianskij socializm: Sb. st. (Christian Socialism: Collection of Articles), Novosibirsk, 1991.
22. Sherer Ju. 2000 “V poiskah «hristianskogo socializma» v Rossii” (In Search of “Christiam Socialism” in Russia), in Voprosy filosofii, 2000, vol. 12, pp. 88–133.
23. Judina T. S. Obshhestvenno-politicheskaja dejatel'nost' S. N. Bulgakova: 1890–1918 gg. (Social-Political Activity of S. N. Bulgakov: 1890–1918), Moscow, 2009.