Famine 1921–1922 led to the death of thousands of people. The Soviet government used this fact against the Russian Orthodox Church. On the basis of regional sources revealed the true extent of hunger in the Mari region. This event was the reason for the start of the campaign in favor of the conﬁ scation of church property. The study described in detail the main stages of preparation, organization and implementation of this process in the Mari region. The author describes the formation and work of the regional committee for the implementation of the decree of the Central Executive Committee February 23, 1922. The author also describes the procedures canton commissions in individual parishes. The author gives a detailed description of the order of conﬁscation of church property in the May-June 1922. The study shows the character and content of the documents that were provided to local authorities, describes the procedure of removal of property in the parish, partially installed subsequent fate of the seized property. According to the materials of parishes revealed damage that was done separately taken the community of believers. Statistical data on the withdrawal values in the Mari region are shown in comparison with the general Soviet ﬁgures. Analyzing the response of believers to the current policy, the author comes to the conclusion that this campaign has not got wide publicity and generally calm was greeted population of the province. Such a reaction is understandable by severe plight of the population in conditions of famine of the early 1920s. Results of the study allowed the author to explain the circumstances of the campaign. It is rated as blasphemous method of helping the starving population at the expense of inalienable property of the Russian Orthodox Church
church property, Soviet power, famine of 1921–1922, decrees of the Soviet government, church-state relations, Mari Autonomous Region, cantons, famine relief, temples, Krasnokokshaysk
1. Pokrovskij N. N., Petrov S. G. (eds.) Arhivy Kremlja. Politbjuro i Cerkov'. 1922–1925 gg. (Archives of Kremlin. Politburo and Church. 1922–1925), Moscow, 1997, vol. 1.
2. 5 let stroitel'stva MAO (5 Years of Building MAO). Krasnokokshajsk, 1926.
3. Ivanov A. A. 2000 “Golod 1921–1922 gg. i konfiskacija cerkovnyh cennostej v Marijskoj avtonomnoj oblasti” (Hunger 1921–1922 and Confiscation of Church Values in Marijskaja Autonome Region) // Hristianizacija narodov Srednego Povolzh'ja i ee istoricheskoe znachenie: Materialy regional'noj nauchnoj konferencii. Joshkar-Ola, 23–24 nojabrja, 2000, Joshkar-Ola, 2001, pp. 163–164.
4. Kozlov F. N. Golod 1921–1922 gg. i iz’jatie cerkovnyh cennostej (Hunger of 1921–1922 and Removal of Church Values), in http://pravmisl.ru/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=264/ (Date: 17.07.2014)).
5. Kozlov F. N. 2012 “Golod 1921–1922 godov v chuvashskom i marijskom krajah v kontekste gosudarstvenno-cerkovnyh otnoshenij” (Hunger 1921–1922 in Chuvashskij and Marijskij Regions in Context of State-Church Relations), in PolitBook, 2012, vol. 2, pp. 142 –156.
6. Poljakov V. A. Golod v Povolzh'e, 1919–1925: Proishozhdenie, osobennosti, posledstvija (Hunger in Povolzh’e, 1919–1925: Origins, Features, Consequences), Volgograd, 2007.