«The Orthodox Doctrine of Salvation», a well-known work by Archimandrite Sergius (Stragorodsky) that was defended by him as a master’s thesis at the Moscow Theological Academy in 1895, is still considered an etalon in Orthodox theology. Meanwhile, in the ﬁrst half of the 20th century, it was heavily criticized by at least two prominent members of the Church hierarchy of that time: Confessor of the Faith Victor (Ostrovidov) and Archbishop Seraphim (Sobolev). This article does not only examine their arguments, but also provides the researcher’s personal understanding of the main theses of the work by Archimandrite Sergius. The researcher’s work in this case is complicated by a large number of patristic texts, which are given by Archimandrite Sergius and the abundance of which hampers the identiﬁcation of his own original ideas. Nevertheless, the carried out analysis reveals that the dissertation doesn’t contain not only patristic, but any kind of a clear doctrine of the Fall, or of man’s state after the Fall, or of redemption, or of man’s assimilation of redemption fruits. Besides, the theses illustrated in the dissertation by the texts of the Holy Fathers belong not so much to them as to the ﬁrst Slavophiles, Archimandrite Anthony (Khrapovitsky), the teacher and the senior friend of Archimandrite Sergius, and ﬁnally to Immanuel Kant. Consequently, in his doctrine of freedom anticipating grace, Archimandrite Sergius comes dangerously close to Pelagianism. These ﬁndings recognize the truth of complaints against the work of Archimandrite Sergius by Confessor of the Faith Viktor (Ostrovidov) and Archbishop Seraphim (Sobolev).
Sergius (Stragorodsky), Victor (Ostrovidov), Seraphim (Sobolev), Orthodox doctrine of salvation, new theology, pure love, patristic literature, Pelagianism, Metropolitan Anthony (Khrapovitsky), redemption.
1. Viktor (Ostrovidov), svjashhennoisp. (2006) “Otvety episkopa Viktora (Ostrovidova) na pjatnadcat' voprosov OGPU / Publ. i vstup. st. iereja Aleksandra Mazyrina” (Mazyrin A. ierei (publ.). Answers of Bishop Viktor (Ostrovidov) on Fifteen Questions of OGPU), in Vestnik PSTGU II: Istorija. Istorija Russkoj Pravoslavnoj Cerkvi, 2006, vol. 3/20, pp. 136–147.
2. Viktor (Ostrovidov), svjashhennoisp. [Strannik] (1912) “Novye bogoslovy” (New Theologians), in Cerkov', 1912, vol. 16, pp. 381–383.
3. Sergij (Stragorodskij), arhim. Pravoslavnoe uchenie o spasenii: opyt raskrytija nravstvenno-sub#ektivnoj storony spasenija na osnovanii Sv. Pisanija i tvorenij svjatootecheskih (Orthodox Teaching about Salvation: Experience of Exposure of Ethic-Subjective Side of Salvation on Basis of Holy Scripture and Works of Holy Fathers), Kazan', 1898.
4. Serafim (Sobolev), arhiep. Iskazhenie Pravoslavnoj istiny v russkoj bogoslovskoj mysli (Distortion of Orthodox Truth in Russian Theological Thought), Sofija, 1943.
5. Atonij (Hrapovickij), mitr. Izbrannye trudy. Pis'ma, Materialy (Selected Works. Letters, Materials), M., 2007.
6. Gnedich Petr, prot. Dogmat iskuplenija v russkoj bogoslovskoj nauke (Dogma of Atonement in Russian Theological Science), M., 2007.
7. Janyshev I. L. Sushhnost' hristianstva s nravstvennoj tochki zrenija (Essence of Christianity from the Ethic Point of View), SPb., 1887.
8. Katanskij A. L. Uchenie o blagodati Bozhiej v tvorenijah drevnih Otcov i Uchitelej Cerkvi do blzh. Avgustina (Teaching of God’s Grace in Works of Ancient Fathers and Teachers of the Church to St. Augustine), SPb., 1902.
9. Svt. Feofan Zatvornik. Nachertanie hristianskogo nravouchenija (Pattern of Christian Ethic Teaching), M., 2010.
10. Svt. Feofan Zatvornik. Sobranie pisem (Collection of Letters), M., 2000, vol. 2/8.
11. Svt. Feofan Zatvornik. Put' ko spaseniju (Way to Salvation), M., 2003.
12. Koljupanov N. Biografija Aleksandra Ivanovicha Kosheleva (Biography of Aleksandr Ivanovich Koshelev), M., 1889–1892, vol. 2.
13. Mihail (Gribanovskij), ep. Sochinenija. Pis'ma. Zhizneopisanija (Works. Letters. Vitas), M., 2011.
14. Kant I. Sochinenija (Works), M., 1965, vol. 4.