The article investigates the literary controversy in the Russian Church in the ﬁ rst half of the XVI century. Author conducted a literary and textual analysis of one of the largest polemical writings of Metropolitan Daniel of Moscow — «The word of the Incarnation of our Lord Jesus Christ.» This work was part of the composition «Sobornik slov» of Metropolitan Daniel, however, was never published and attracted the attention of researchers. At the same time it is the only writing in ancient russian literacy, where polemics with «netlennomnimaya» heresy, in which during the council in 1531, Daniel has accused the prince-monk Vassian (Patrikeev). The author established the county direct textual relationship «Sudnoe delo» of Vassian from «the Incarnation of the Word.» In addition, based on the study of ancient lists of «Words» author identiﬁ ed the major literary devices and methods of Josephite polemicists school in the beginning of XVI century. «The word of the Incarnation» and many other works of Metropolitan Daniel examined in the paper as complex literary works, where identiﬁes several levels of meaning. Analysis of a compilation of the «Word» has allowed the author to identify the strict sequence of citing biblical and patristic texts, and to identify the logic of argument advocated by Metropolitan Daniel. In this regard, the author attempts to refute the preconceived idea that the scribes Josephite schools were compilers, and destitute of original art. The author came to conclusion that existing in the national historiography technique of studying polemical writings of Russian medieval writers is in need of major changes.
Metropolitan Daniel, bookishness of medieval Russia, heresy, avtartodoketizm, Josephites, church council, theology, controversy, patrology, apologetics.
1. Alekseev A. I. Sochinenija Iosifa Volockogo v kontekste polemiki 1480–1510-h gg. (Works of Joseph Volockij in Context of Polemic 1480–1510), SPb., 2010.
2. Davydenkov O., prot. Dogmaticheskoe bogoslovie (Dogmatic Theology), M., 2013.
3. Zhmakin V. I. Mitropolit Daniil i ego sochinenija (Metropolit Daniil and His Works), M., 1881.
4. Kazakova N. A. Vassian Patrikeev i ego sochinenija (Vassian Patrikeev and His Works), M.; L., 1960.
5. Kloss B. M. Nikonovskij svod i russkie letopisi XVI–XVII vv. (Nikonovskij Code and Russian Chronicles of XVI–XVII Cent.), M., 1980.
6. Makarij (Bulgakov), mitr. (1872) “Sochinenija Moskovskogo mitropolita Daniila” (Works of Metropolit Daniil of Moscow), in Hristianskoe chtenie, 1872, vol 10, pp. 181–275.
7. Pliguzov A. I. Polemika v Russkoj Cerkvi pervoj treti XVI v. (Polemic in Russian Chirch of First Third of XVI Cent.), M., 2002.
8. Florovskij G. Puti russkogo bogoslovija (Ways of Russian Theology), Parizh, 1937.