Special features of the anti-church repression in Nizhny Novgorod province and the response of the diocesan authorities in 1918–1921
Serukhina Oksana (2022)
"Special features of the anti-church repression in Nizhny Novgorod province and the response of the diocesan authorities in 1918–1921 ",
Vestnik Pravoslavnogo Sviato-Tikhonovskogo gumanitarnogo universiteta.
Seriia II : Istoriia. Istoriia Russkoy Pravoslavnoy Tserkvi
pp. 106-118 (in Russian).
DOI of the paper: 10.15382/sturII2022109.106-118
The article examines the transformation of relations between the state and the Church in the aspect of the repressive policy of the Soviet government on the example of the Nizhny Novgorod diocese in the period 1918 – 1921. This study reflects issues directly related to the reaction of the church administration to the unfolding full-scale persecution. The author compares the situation in the Nizhny Novgorod diocese with the historical circumstances in other dioceses of the Russian Orthodox Church and finds that the Nizhny Novgorod scenario is typical. Nevertheless, there are some features of the historical picture on the Nizhny Novgorod land, due to certain circumstances and personal characteristics of representatives of both secular and Ecclesiastical authorities. This article hypothesizes that the loyal position of the ruling bishop and the diocesan council in relation to the Soviet government did not lead to the cessation of persecution, but contributed to a partial improvement in the state of church affairs in the field. The analysis of the historical situation shows how the degree of loyalty of the diocesan administration towards the new government has changed, taking into account the aggressive pressure from the ruling circles. Russian Russian Orthodox Church. The results of this study can be used in works aimed at studying the history of the Russian Orthodox Church during the period of the beginning of the persecution to obtain a holistic picture of church life, the life of believers in Russia on the example of the Russian province.
Diocesan Council, Church, Soviet, regime, persecution, red, terror
- Biriukova Iu. (2019) “Pravoslavnoe dukhovenstvo v usloviiakh ¡krasnogo terrora″ na iuge Rossii v period grazhdanskoi voiny 1918–1919 gg.”. Vestnik PSTGU. Seriia II: Istoriia. Istoriia Russkoi Pravoslavnoi Tserkvi, 2019, vol. 87, pp. 40–50 (in Russian).
- Damaskin (Orlovskii; hieromonk) (1992) Mucheniki, ispovedniki i podvizhniki blagochestiia Rossiiskoi Pravoslavnoi Tserkvi XX stoletiia: Zhizneopisaniia i materialy k nim. Tver (in Russian).
- Kiiashko N. (2019) “Tserkov′ v sisteme formirovaniia institutov vlasti Dobrovol’cheskogo dvizheniia na Iuge Rossii: osobennosti sozdaniia Chernomorskoi eparkhii v 1918–1919 gg.”. Vestnik PSTGU. Seriia II: Istoriia. Istoriia Russkoi Pravoslavnoi Tserkvi, 2019, vol. 91, pp. 92–104 (in Russian).
- Krivosheeva N. (2011) “O polozhenii v Orenburgskoi eparkhii v 1918–1919 gg.”. Vestnik PSTGU. Seriia II: Istoriia. Istoriia Russkoi Pravoslavnoi Tserkvi, 2011, vol. 3 (40), pp. 67–71 (in Russian).
- Leonov S. (2016) “Nachalo antitserkovnogo terrora v period oktiabr’skoi revoliutsii”. Vestnik PSTGU. Seriia II: Istoriia. Istoriia Russkoi Pravoslavnoi Tserkvi, 2016, vol. 6 (73), pp. 69–90 (in Russian).
- Marchenko A. (2020) “Vooruzhennaia zashchita sviatyni kak forma tserkovnogo soprotivleniia sovetskoi vlasti na primere shturma podvor′ia Belogorskogo monastyria Permskoi eparkhii v fevrale 1918 goda”. Vestnik PSTGU. Seriia II: Istoriia. Istoriia Russkoi Pravoslavnoi Tserkvi, 2020, vol. 97, pp. 108–119 (in Russian).
Information about the author
Serukhina Oksana Student status:
Master's Degree Student; Place of study:
Private educational institution of the religious organization "Nizhny Novgorod Diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church (Moscow Patriarchate)" "Seraphim Sarovsky Orthodox Gymnasium"; Post:
Нижегородская область г. Дзержинск ул. Бутлерова д.2г кв.53; ORCID: 0000-0001-9917-3734