“Resolving difficult cases that might happen during Divine Service”. On the sources of one plot in the Uniate liturgical literature of the early 17th century
Korzo Margarita (2022)
"“Resolving difficult cases that might happen during Divine Service”. On the sources of one plot in the Uniate liturgical literature of the early 17th century ",
Vestnik Pravoslavnogo Sviato-Tikhonovskogo gumanitarnogo universiteta.
Seriia II : Istoriia. Istoriia Russkoy Pravoslavnoy Tserkvi
pp. 22-33 (in Russian).
DOI of the paper: 10.15382/sturII2022108.22-33
The article analyzes the Latin Sources of an admonition “Pripadkov kotorye byse pry slouzhbie bozhoi mogly prytrafiti roz’viezane” (Resolving difficult cases that might happen during worship). Published for the first time as a part of a larger Uniate manual for the priests in Sluzhebnik (Vilno 1617), the given admonition in an edited form became an organic component of the so-called “Izvestie uchitel’noe, kako dolzhenstvuet iereyu i diakonu sluzhenie w tserkvi svyatoi sovershati” (Instructive admonition how a priest and deacon should perform holy service in the church) in the Russian Rituals. As A.V. Petrovskij has already found out, a significant part of the cases analyzed in “Pripadki” that might happen during worship or Communion have parallels in apostolic, patristic, and conciliar decrees, in works of church literature, which have long existed in the Eastern Christian area. The author of the article argues, that the very effort of systematizing those difficult cases, also their analysis in the context of liturgical editions was borrowed by the compilers of “Pripadki” from the Latin tradition. And the main sources were the headings (rubricae) of the post-Tridentine “Missale Romanum” (Rome 1570). “Summa casuum conscientiae” by the Spanish Jesuit, cardinal Francisco de Toledo became another important source for the Uniate compilation: both for “Pripadki”, as for the whole Uniate manual for the priests Vilna 1617. Familiarity of the Uniate compilers with the work of the Spanish Jesuit is also confirmed by the content of another work, namely – an instruction for the priests how to perform the sacraments in “Trebnik” (Vilna 1617–1618). The given fact allows us to consider both admonitions as a part of a broader program for the elaboration of practical manuals for the Uniate clergy at the beginning of the 17th Century. The article also suggests who could be the author of these compilations
Uniate liturgical literature of the early 17th century, Latin influences, manuals for priests, difficult cases during worship, Francisco de Toledo, Lev Krevza, “Missale Romanum”
- Galadza P. (1997) “Liturgichne pytannia i rozvitok bogosluzhen′ naperedodni beresteiskoii unii azh do kintsa XVII stolittia”, in B. Gudziak, O. Turii (eds.) Beresteiskaia unia ta vnutrishne zhittia Tzerkvi v XVII stolitti. Materialy Chetvertych “Beresteiskih Chitan′” Lviv, Lutsk, Kiiv, 2–6 zhovtnia 1995 r. Lviv, pp. 1–29 (in Ukrainian).
- Hartmann G. C., de (2007) Lateinische Dialoge 1200–1400. Literaturhistorische Studie und Repertorium. Leiden; Boston.
- Korzo M. (2018) “Ob ispanskikh vliianiakh na religioznuiu literaturu uniatov i pravoslavnykh v Rechi Pospolitoi XVII v.: postanovka problem”. Vestnik PSTGU. II: Istoriia. Istoriia Russkoi Pravoslavnoi Tserkvi, 2018, vol. 84, pp. 35–47 (in Russian).
- Korzo M. (2007) Ukrainskaia i belorusskaia katekhetikheskaia traditsiia kontsa XVI–XVIII vv.: stanovlenie, evoliutsiia i problema zaimstvovanii. Moscow (in Russian).
- Reinhardt K. (1997) “Toledo (Toletus) Francisco de”, in Biographisch-Bibliographisches Kirchenlexikon, vol. XII. Herzberg, col. 288–292.
- Timoshenko L. (2015) “Krevza Lev (Lavrentii)”, in Pravoslavnaia entsiklopediia [Orthodox Encyclopaedia], vol. 38, pp. 493–496 (in Russian).
- Voznesenskii A. (2018) “Leon Mamonich, vilenskaia bratskaia tipografi ia i dva deistvitel′no strannykh″ izdaniia kontsa 1610-kh gg.” [Leon Mamonich, typography of Vilnious brethren, and two “really strange” editions of the late 1610s]. Peterburgskii istoricheskii zhurnal, 2018, vol. 2, pp. 209–216 (in Russian).
- Zahajkiewicz M. (1972) Msza święta w Polsce przed Soborem Trydenckim w świetle rodzimych komentarzy (expositiones missae). Studium historyczno-liturgiczne. Warsaw.
Information about the author
Korzo Margarita Academic Degree:
Candidate of Sciences*
in History; Place of work:
Institute of Philosophy, Russian Academy of Sciences; 12/1 Goncharnaia Str., Moscow 109240, Russian Federation; Post:
Senior Research Fellow; ORCID: 0000-0001-6299-5187
*According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, the degree of Candidate of Sciences (Cand.Sc.) belongs to ISCED level 8 — "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar.