“Top secret. Keep in secret”. Minutes of the previously unknown commission of l. D. Trotsky for the schism of the Russian Orthodox Church (may — october 1922)
Ivanov Sergei (2022)
"“Top secret. Keep in secret”. Minutes of the previously unknown commission of l. D. Trotsky for the schism of the Russian Orthodox Church (may — october 1922) ",
Vestnik Pravoslavnogo Sviato-Tikhonovskogo gumanitarnogo universiteta.
Seriia II : Istoriia. Istoriia Russkoy Pravoslavnoy Tserkvi
pp. 134-166 (in Russian).
DOI of the paper: 10.15382/sturII2022107.134-166
This publication introduces into scientific circulation a new archival source on the history of the renovationist schism in the Russian Orthodox Church — the protocols of the meetings of the commission of the Central Committee of the RCP (b) "On values" under the leadership of a member of the Politburo of the Central Committee of the RCP (b) and the Chairman of the Revolutionary Council of the Republic L.D. Trotsky. The documents were identified among the protocols of other commissions in the affairs of the Revolutionary Military Council, stored in the Russian State Military Archive. The decisions of the "On Values" Commission make it possible to reasonably judge the leading role of L.D. Trotsky in the preparation and conduct of a large church schism, including the consolidation of clergy loyal to Soviet power, sending him to provocative negotiations with Patriarch Tikhon, the issue of an opposition magazine, the organization of trials against Christians, the convening of an renovationist "local council", agitation support for schismatics, etc. The activities of the commission were conspiratorial in nature and still remained unknown to historical science. Meanwhile, it was this camouflaged structure that preceded the succession of it in October 1922 and the well-studied Commission of the Central Committee of the RCP (b) on the separation of the church from the state. The texts offered to readers confirm and detail the fact of the well-managed control of secret work on the decomposition of the Russian Church by the Politburo of the Central Committee of the RCP (b), that is, its criminal attitude to Soviet law in the policy of planting atheism among the people of Russia.
Trotsky Commission, Patriarch Tikhon, The Russian Orthodox Church, confiscation of church property, Renovation schism, repression, 1922
- Ivanov S. (2014) “Khronologiia obnovlencheskogo õperevorota″ v Russkoi Tserkvi po novym arkhivnym dokumentam” [Chronology of the renovationist “coup” in the Russian church based on new archival records]. Vestnik PSTGU. Seriia II: Istoriia. Istoriia Russkoi Pravoslavnoi Tserkvi, 2014, vol 3 (58), pp. 24–60 (in Russian).
- Krapivin M. (2016) “Glavmuzei i komissiia L.D. Trotskogo õpo uchetu i sosredotocheniiu tsennostei″ (noiabr′ 1921 g. — oktiabr′ 1922 g.) [Glavmuzei and L. D. Trotsky’s commission for the “inventory and accumulation of valuables”]. Voprosy muzeologii, 2016, vol. 1 (13), pp. 11–33 (in Russian).
- Levitin-Krasnov A., Shavrov V. (1996) Ocherki po istorii russkoi tserkovnoi smuty [Essays in the Russian church schism]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Lobanov V. (ed.) (2014) Protokoly Komissii po provedeniiu otdeleniia Tserkvi ot gosudarstva pri TsK RKP(b) — VKP(b) (Antireligioznoi komissii). 1922–1929 gg. [Minutes of the Commission for the separation of the church from the state at the Central Committee of the Communist Party (Anti-Religious Commission)]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Nikitin V. (2006) Na krugi svoia. Istoriia prikhoda evangelistsko-liuteranskoi tserkvi Khrista Spasitelia g. Nikolaeva [Back to roots. History of the parish of Evangelist Lutheran church of Christ the Redeemer in Nikolaev]. Nikolaev (in Russian).
- Petrov S. (2004) Dokumenty deloproizvodstva Politbiuro TsK RKP(b) kak istochnik po istorii Russkoi tserkvi (1921–1925 gg.) [Records of the Politbureau of the Central Committee of the Communist Party as a source on the history of Russian church (1921–1925)]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Pokrovskii N., Petrov S. (eds) (1997–1998) Arkhivy Kremlia: Politbiuro i Tserkov′. 1922–1925 gg., in 2 vols [Archives of the Kremlin: Politbureau and the church. 1922–1925]. Novosibirsk; Moscow (in Russian).
- Rupasov A., Skurlov V., Faberzhe T., Bernev S. (eds) (2012) “Agafon Faberzhe v Krasnom Petrograde” [Agafon Faberzhe in the Red Petrograd]. St, Petersburg (in Russian).
- Sledstvennoe delo Patriarkha Tikhona: sbornik dokumentov po materialam Tsentral′nogo arkhiva FSB RF (2000) [Investigative case of Patriarch Tikhon: collection of documents from the Central Archive of the Federal Security Service of the Russian Federation]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Sorokin A. (ed.) (2018) Konfessional′naia politika sovetskogo gosudarstva. 1917–1991 gg.: Dokumenty i materialy [Confessional policy of the Soviet state. 1917–1991: records and materials], in 6 vols. Vol. 1: 1917–1924 gg. [The years 1917–1924], in 4 books. Book 1: Odintsov M., Artamonova Zh., Volkhonskaia N., Kochetova A., Lukashin A., Subbota E. (eds) Tsentral′nye rukovodiashchie organy RKP(b): ideologiia veroispovedal′noi politiki i praktika antireligioznoi propagandy [Central managing authorities of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union: ideology of confessional policy and practice of anti-religious propaganda]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Tutova T. (2015) Sud′ba dvortsovykh tsennostei Rossiiskogo imperatorskogo doma: zhurnaly raboty Komissii 1922 goda v Moskovskom Kremle [The fate of the palace valuables of the Russian Imperial Family: journals of the work of the Commission of 1922 in the Kremlin of Moscow], in 2 pts. Pt. 1: Teksty [Texts]. Moscow (in Russian).
Information about the author
Ivanov Sergei, priest Academic Degree:
Candidate of Sciences*
in Philosophy; Academic Degree:
Candidate of Sciences*
in Theology; Place of work:
St. Tikhon’s Orthodox University for the Humanities, 6/1 Likhov pereulok, Moscow 127051, Russian Federation; Researcher of the Department of the Modern History of the Russian Orthodox Church; Post:
Research Associate; ORCID: 0000-0001-8654-1542
*According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, the degree of Candidate of Sciences (Cand.Sc.) belongs to ISCED level 8 — "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar.