The "Life" of st. Germogen, the arranger of Kirensk and Albazin monasteries. A unique document siberian hagiography of the mid-19th century
Pushkarev Vladimir (2022)
"The "Life" of st. Germogen, the arranger of Kirensk and Albazin monasteries. A unique document siberian hagiography of the mid-19th century ",
Vestnik Pravoslavnogo Sviato-Tikhonovskogo gumanitarnogo universiteta.
Seriia II : Istoriia. Istoriia Russkoy Pravoslavnoy Tserkvi
pp. 99-131 (in Russian).
DOI of the paper: 10.15382/sturII2022106.99-131
Hieromonk Hermogenes is one of the outstanding ascetics of the Russian Orthodox Church who carried out their ministry in Eastern Siberia. Two monasteries were founded here in the second half of the XVII century by his works. He was a good shepherd for the Russian first settlers of the Amur region, showing an example of Christian humility and piety. Immediately after the death of Hermogenes (1690), his popular veneration began, and in 1858 his life appeared.This is a handwritten text made up of two words spoken on the days of the memory of the righteous. In 1910, the manuscript was acquired by the Imperial Public Library. In this edition, for the first time, the full commented text of the Life is published. A preliminary analysis of this document made it possible to identify the sources used in its compilation and to establish the identity of the hagiographer. At the same time, a significant amount of historical facts contained in the text led to the preparation of a voluminous corpus of notes clarifying, supplementing or refuting this information. "The Life of St. Hermogenes" is a unique monument of Siberian hagiography of the middle of the XIX century. In addition to the obvious historical and cultural value, it is a convincing confirmation of the widespread popular veneration of Hermogenes in pre-revolutionary Russia and can serve as a good reason for his church glorification.
hagiography, manuscript, Hieromonk Hermogenes, Archimandrite Gabriel (Resurrection), Ust-Kirensky Trinity Monastery, Albazinsky Spassky Monastery, popular veneration.
- Artem′ev A. (1995) “Ikona Albazinskoi Bozhei Materi” [Icon of the Albazin Theotokos]. Vestnik Dal′nevostochnogo otdeleniia RAN, 1995, vol. 5, pp. 131–134 (in Russian).
- Dmitruk A. (2006) Paterik Sibirskikh sviatykh i podvizhnikov blagochestiia [Collection of Lives of Siberian saints and champions of piety]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Ignatiy (Chigvintsev) (2009) “Ieromonax Germogen — molitvennik o zemle Priamurskoi. Istoriia zhizni i sovremennoe pochitanie” [Hieromonk Germogen as a saint champion of the Amur land. Life story and present-day veneration]. Dorokhinskie chteniia, 2009, vol. 3, pp. 22–30 (in Russian).
- Kazarian A. (2005) “Gavriil (Voskresenskii)”. Pravoslavnaia entsiklopediia [Orthodox encyclopaedia]. Moscow, vol. 10, pp. 213–217 (in Russian).
- Krasnoshtanov G. (2005) “Vozvrashchenie chernogo popa Ermogena v Kirensk” [The return of the black priest Germogen to Kirensk]. Izvestiia Arkhitekturno-etnografi cheskogo muzeia “Tal′tsy”, 2005, vol. 4. pp. 7–24 (in Russian).
- Krasnoshtanov G. (2015) “Eshche raz o chernom pope Ermogene” [Once again about the black priest Germogen]. Izvestiia Arkhitekturno-etnografi cheskogo muzeia “Tal′tsy”, 2015, vol. 7, pp. 41–49 (in Russian).
- Krasnoshtanov G. (2008) Nikifor Romanov Chernigovskii: Dokumental′noe povestvovanie [Nikifor Romanov Chernigovsky. Documentary narration]. Irkutsk (in Russian).
- Mangilev P. (2008) “Ermogen”. Pravoslavnaia entsiklopediia [Orthodox encyclopaedia]. Moscow, vol. 18, pp. 647–648 (in Russian).
- Pushkarev V. (2021) Zhizneopisanie Ermogena Kirenskogo i Albazinskogo [Biography of Germogen of Kirensk and Albazin]. Blagoveschensk (in Russian).
- Pushkarev V. (2021) “Narodnoe mnenie na storone ego sviatosti”: k voprosu o kanonizatsii ieromonakha Ermogena, pervogo podvizhnika very i blagochestiia na Amure [“The opinion of the people is in favour of his sainthood”: the issue of canonisation of Hieromonk Germogen, the first champion of faith and piety in the Amur region]. Kul′tura i nauka Dal′nego Vostoka, 2021, vol. 2, pp. 54–59 (in Russian).
- Stepanov D. (2012) “Russkaia pravoslavnaia tserkov′ v Vostochnoi Sibiri i na Dal′nem Vostoke v poslednei treti XVII veka” [The Russian Orthodox Church in Eastern Siberia and the Far East in the last third of the 17th century]. Rodina, 2012, vol. 10, pp. 140–144 (in Russian).
- Vanchugov V. (2015) Pervyi istorik russkoi fi losofi i: Arkhimandrit Gavriil i ego vremia [The first historian of Russian philosophy: Archimandrite Gavriil and his time]. Moscow (in Russian).
Information about the author
Pushkarev Vladimir Academic Degree:
Candidate of Sciences*
in History; Place of work:
Amur State Medical Academy; 101/3 Gor’kogo Str., Blagoveschensk 675000, Russian Federation; Post:
Associate professor; ORCID: 0000-0002-3098-9505
*According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, the degree of Candidate of Sciences (Cand.Sc.) belongs to ISCED level 8 — "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar.