Problems of the legal and financial situation of the Orthodox parish clergy in the South of Russia after the February Revolution of 1917
Biryukova Yulia (2022)
"Problems of the legal and financial situation of the Orthodox parish clergy in the South of Russia after the February Revolution of 1917 ",
Vestnik Pravoslavnogo Sviato-Tikhonovskogo gumanitarnogo universiteta.
Seriia II : Istoriia. Istoriia Russkoy Pravoslavnoy Tserkvi
pp. 95-107 (in Russian).
DOI of the paper: 10.15382/sturII2022104.95-107
The article examines the problem of the status of the clergy of the southern dioceses of Russia, traces its change in connection with the revolutionary events of 1917, transformations in the field of state-church relations and changes in public consciousness. The forms in which the attitude of the laity to the clergy was expressed and the factors by which it was determined are considered. The main sources for the analysis were the materials of the public-church discussion of the problem of the situation and material support of the clergy of the periodical press. The materials of the congresses of the clergy and laity and the records of the Provisional Supreme Church Administration in the South of Russia are also involved. The author comes to the conclusion that the most important component of the reforms of this period was the inclusion of laypeople in the church administration bodies of different levels, in the solution of all categories of issues — managerial, legal and financial, which occurred at the initiative of the clergy as a whole. However, the economic dependence of the clergy on the laity, who often fell under the influence of secular authorities, against the background of the growth of individualistic sentiments, the fading of the communal spirit and the rapid flowering of the people, further aggravated the situation of the clergy, who saw a way out of the situation in a radical change in the system of material support for pastoral activities. They outlined some programs for overcoming the crisis.
orthodox clergy, parishioners, laity, ecclesiasticism, religiosity, church formation, revolution
- Ageev E. (2019) Pravoslavnaia Tserkov′ na Srednem Donu v sobornyi i poslesobornyi periody (1917–1930) [Orthodox Cnurch in the Middle Don and the council and post-council periods (1917–1930)]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Ageev E. (2015) “Dokumenty Osoboi komissii po rassledovaniiu deistvii bol′shevikov pri GK VSYUR (1919 g.) v GARF kak istochnik po istorii prikhodskih khramov i monastyrei sovremennoi Volgogradskoi mitropolii v gody Grazhdanskoi voiny” [Documents of the Special Commission to investigate the Bolsheviks’ activity (1919) as a source for the history of parish churches and monasteries of the present-day Volgograd diocese during the Civil War]. Vestnik arkhivista, 2015, vol. 4, pp. 52–65 (in Russian).
- Aksenov V. (2015) “Vera i massovoe soznanie: rastserkovlenie rossiian v 1907–1917 gg.” [Religion and mass consciousness: antireligious propaganda in Russia in 1907–1917]. Istoriia, 2015, vol. 6 (39), available at: www.sfi.ru/statja/sovremennye-problemy-metodologii-religiovedenĳa (25. 06. 2021) (in Russian).
- Aksenov V. (2019) “Narodnaia religioznost′ i obrazy dukhovenstva v gody Pervoi mirovoi voiny i revoliutsii” [Folk religiosity and profiles of the clergy during the First World War and revolution]. Gosudarstvo, religiia, tserkov′ v Rossii i za rubezhom, 2019, vol. 1–2 (37), pp. 272–303 (in Russian).
- Beglov A. (2017) “Rossiiskaia revoliutsiia i Sviashchennyi Sobor Pravoslavnoi Rossiiskoi Tserkvi 1917–1918 gg.: ot |tserkovnoi revoliutsii″ — k |kanonicheskoi restavratsii″” [Russian revolution and the Holy Council of the Orthodox Russian Church of 1917–1918: from the “church revolution” to “canonical restoration”]. Khristianos, Riga, vol. XXVI, pp. 24–51 (in Russian).
- Belonogova Yu. (2007) “Sluzhba i material′noe obespechenie prikhodskogo dukhovenstva Moskovskoi eparkhii v nachale XX v.” [Service and fi nancial support of the parish clergy of Moscow diocese in the early 20th century]. Vestnik Pravoslavnogo Sviato-Tikhonovskogo gumanitarnogo universiteta. Seriia II: «Istoriia. Istoriia Russkoi Pravoslavnoi Tserkvi», 2007, vol. 24, pp. 54–78 (in Russian).
- Belonogova Yu. (2008) “Vzaimootnoshenie prikhodskogo sel′skogo dukhovenstva s prikhozhanami” [Relationships between the parish rural clergy and church-goers], in Istoriia ne uchitel′nitsa [History is not a teacher], Moscow, pp. 133–153 (in Russian).
- Buldakov V., Leont′eva T. (2017) “Revoliutsiia, religiia, kul′tura: vzaimodeistvie tsentra i periferii v 1917–1918 gg.” [Revolution, religion, culture: interaction between the centre and the periphery in 1917–1918], in Revoliutsionnaia Sibir′: istoki, protsessy, nasledie [Revolutionary Siberia: origins, processes, legacy], pp. 175–190 (in Russian).
- Kiyashko N. (2014) “Prikhodskoe dukhovenstvo v sotsial′noi strukture naseleniia Rossiiskoi imperii: shtrikhi k portretu” [Parish clergy in the social structure of the population of the Russian Empire: several considerations]. Vestnik arkhivista Kubani, 2014, vol. 9, pp. 83–89 (in Russian).
- Kiyashko N. (2016) “Sistema tserkovnogo upravleniia i polozhenie dukhovenstva na Iuge Rossii v 1918–1919 gg.” [System of church administration and the position of the clergy in the South of Russia in 1918–1919], in Materialy VIII Mezhdunarodnoi nauchnobogoslovskoi konferentsii studentov SPbDA [8th International Conference of Students of the St. Petersburg Theological Academy: proceedings], pp. 226–233 (in Russian).
- Kiyashko N. (2018) “Vliianie Fevral′skogo perevorota 1917 goda na tserkovnuiu zhizn′ i dukhovenstvo Russkoi pravoslavnoi tserkvi na Kubani” [The impact of the February coup of 1917 on church life and the clergy of the Russian Orthodox Church in the Kuban region], in Gumanitarnye chteniia RGGU, Moscow, pp. 202–206 (in Russian).
- Leont′eva T. (2007) “Pravoslavnoe dukhovenstvo i revoliutsiia” [Orthodox clergy and the revolution], in K istorii russkikh revoliutsii. Sobytiia. Mneniia. Otsenki. Pamiati I. I. Mintsa [On the history of Russian revolutions. Events. Opinions. Evaluations. In memoriam I. I. Mints], Moscow, pp. 582–602 (in Russian).
- Leont′eva T. (2017) “Revoliutsiia. Dukhovenstvo. Prikhod” [Revolution. Clergy. Oarish], in Velikaia rossiiskaia revoliutsiia, 1917: sto let izucheniia: materialy Mezhdunarodnoi nauchnoi konferentsii [Great Russian revolution, 1917. A hundred years of study. Proceedings of the International conference], pp. 420–426 (in Russian).
- Leont′eva T. (2018) “Grazhdanskaia voina, Pravoslavnaia Tserkov′, sviashchennik” [Civil War, Ortodox Church, the Priest], in Grazhdanskaia voina i rossiiskaia provintsiia: sovremennoe vospriiatie, podhody i otsenka [Civil War and the Russian provinces: current views, approaches and evaluations: Conference proceedings], pp. 57–65 (In Russian).
- Rosloff E. (2002) Red Priests: renovationism, Russian Orthodoxy, and Revolutions, 1905–1946. Indiana University Press.
- Silano F. (2019) “Kanonicheskoe pravo v zale bol’shevistskogo suda: Russkaia revoliutsiia kak revoliutsiia tserkovnogo prava [Canon law in the chamber of Bolshevists’ court of justice: Russian revolution as a revolution of church law]. Gosudarstvo, religiia, tserkov′ v Rossii i za rubezhom. Rossiiskaia revoliutsiia [State, religion, church in Russia and abroad. Russian revolution], 2019, vol. 1–2 (37), pp. 153–181 (in Russian).
- Scarborough D. (2019) “Moskovskaia eparkhial′naia revoliutsiia” [Moscow diocese revolution]. Gosudarstvo, religiia, tserkov′ v Rossii i za rubezhom. Rossiiskaia revoliutsiia [State, religion, church in Russia and abroad. Russian revolution], 2019, vol. 1–2 (37), pp. 104–126 (in Russian).
Information about the author
Biryukova Yulia Academic Degree:
Candidate of Sciences*
in History; Place of work:
Don State Technical University; 1, Gagarin sq., Rostov-on-don, 346500, Russian Federation; Post:
Associate Professor; ORCID: 0000-0001-5321-2574
*According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, the degree of Candidate of Sciences (Cand.Sc.) belongs to ISCED level 8 — "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar.
The reported study was funded by RFBR, project number 21-011-44120 «Orthodox clergy in the South of Russia during the wars and revolutions of the early XX century».