Interaction experience of party "Union of October 17" and the Moscow "Commission on Church and Religious Issues”
Titova Ekaterina (2022)
"Interaction experience of party "Union of October 17" and the Moscow "Commission on Church and Religious Issues” ",
Vestnik Pravoslavnogo Sviato-Tikhonovskogo gumanitarnogo universiteta.
Seriia II : Istoriia. Istoriia Russkoy Pravoslavnoy Tserkvi
pp. 77-94 (in Russian).
DOI of the paper: 10.15382/sturII2022104.77-94
This article deals with the issue of the relationship between the party "Union of October 17" and the Moscow "Commission on Church and Religious Issues” in 1905-1907. The research is based on various sources: official documents, secular and church periodicals, writings of “Commission’s” members and the Octobrists. The author throws light upon the events of the conflict between liberal-minded members of the Society of Worshipers of Spiritual Enlightenment and the Moscow church hierarchy. The article touches on the reasons for establishing of the "Commission", as well as the circumstances that led to its rapprochement with the party "October 17 Union". On the one hand, the “Commission” sought to find material assistance from the party, and on the other hand, the Octobrists needed to develop an ecclesiastic issue with their program using the knowledge and experience of the Orthodox clergy. The author gives a vivid description of institutional changes of the "Commission" that related to the Octobrists’ influence. Besides, the collection of the articles of the "Commission" is published with the financial support of the party. The "Commission" under impact of the party expanded its program. The author gives an insight into the reasons for the decline of the activities of the "Commission" under the "Union of October 17". They consisted in the postponement of a church council, as well as in a reorganization of "Union of October 17». The article shows how the experience of interaction between the "Commission" and the "Union of October 17" influenced the subsequent work of the Octobrists on an ecclesiastic issue in the II and III State Dumas.
A.I. Guchkov, Moscow "Commission on Church and Religious Issues”, the Society of Worshipers of Spiritual Enlightenment, Church reform movement, Church council, church reform, the States Duma
- Balakshina Iu. (2014) Bratstvo revnitelei tserkovnogo obnovleniia (gruppa |32-kh″ peterburgskikh svyashchennikov). 1903–1907: Dokumentalnaia istoriia i kulturnyi kontekst [Brotherhood of Supporters of church renovation (the group of 32 St. Petersburg priests). 1903–1907: Documented history and the cultural context]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Firsov S. (2002) Russkaia tserkov′ nakanune peremen (konets 1890-kh — 1918 gg.) [Russian church before the changes (late 1890s — 1918]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Gaida F. (2014) “Sovet ministrov o problemakh Pravoslavnoi Rossiiskoi Tserkvi (1906–1914)” [The council of ministers and the problems of Russian Orthodox church (1906–1914)”. Vestnik Pravoslavnogo Sviato-Tikhonovskogo gumanitarnogo universiteta. Seriia II: Istoriia. Istoriia Russkoi Pravoslavnoi Tserkvi, 2014, 2 (57), pp. 23–37 (in Russian).
- Golovushkin D. (2009) Fenomen obnovlenchestva v russkom pravoslavii pervoi poloviny XX veka [The phenomenon of renovationism in the Russian Orthodoxy of the 1st half of the 20th century]. St. Retersburg (in Russian).
- Izvekov N. (2013) Istoricheskii ocherk poluvekovoi zhizni i deiatel′nosti Moskovskogo obshchestva liubitelei dukhovnogo prosveshcheniia (1863–1913 gg.) [Historical outline of the 50 years of work Moscow Society for Church Enlightenment (1864–1913)]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Kara-Murza A. (ed.) (2018) Rossiiskii liberalizm. Idei i liudi [Russian liberalism. Ideas and the people]. Vol. 2. Moscow (in Russian).
- Khristoforov I. (2005) Ot samoderzhaviia k dumskoi monarkhii. Pervaia revoliutsiia v Rossii: vzgliad cherez stoletie [From tsardom to Duma’s monarchy. The fi rst revolution in Russia: a glance through the century]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Kopylova E. (2016) Moskovskoe obshchestvo liubitelei dukhovnogo prosveshchenĳ a: stanovlenie i traditsii dukhovnogo prosveshcheniia v Rossii v period serediny XIX — nachala XX v. [Moscow Society for Church Enlightenment: formation and traditions of spiritual enlightenment in Russia in the mid-19th — early 20th cc.]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Kozlov V. (2015) Eparkhial′nyi dom v Moskve: khronika zhizni doma i Kniaz′-Vladimirskogo khrama. 1902–1918 gg. [The Diocese House in Moscow: a chronicle of the House and of Prince Vladimir’s church]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Orekhanov G. (2002) Na puti k Soboru. Tserkovnye reformy i pervaia russkaia revoliutsĳ a [On the way to the council. Church reforms and the fi rst Russian revolution]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Pavlov D., Shelokhaev V. (eds) (2000) “Soiuz 17 oktiabria” [The Union of October 17], in Politicheskie partii Rossii: istoriia i sovremennost′ [Political parties in Russian: history and the present day]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Rozanov N. (2000) Vtoroe soslovie. Moi vospominaniia o zhizni moskovskogo dukhovenstva v poslednee piatidesiatiletie pered revoliutsiei [The second estate. My memoirs on the life of Moscow clergy in the last 50 years before the revolution], in M. Odintsov (ed.) Uchenye zapiski. 2000, vol. 6. Tserkovnaja istoriia XX veka i obnovlencheskaia smuta [Church history of the 20th century and the renovationist tumult]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Rozhkov V. (2004) Tserkovnye voprosy v Gosudarstvennoi Dume [Church-related issues in the State Duma]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Vorontsova I. (2007) “K istorii õmoskovskoi tserkovnoi revoliutsii″ v Obshchestve liubitelei dukhovnogo prosveshcheniia” [A history of “Moscow church revolution” in the Society for Church Enlightenment]. Tserkov′ i vremia, 2007, 2 (30), pp. 128–147 (in Russian).
- Zosima (Davydov) (2005) “Moskovskaia tserkovnaia revoliutsiia, ili deiatel′nost′ Moskovskogo obshchestva liubitelei dukhovnogo prosveshheniia v 1905–1908 gg” [Moscow church revolution, or the activities of Moscow Society for Church Enlightenment in 1905–1908]. Ezhegodnaia bogoslovskaia konferentsiia Pravoslavnogo Sviato-Tikhonovskogo bogoslovskogo instituta: Materialy [Annual theological conference of St. Tikhon Orthodox Institute: Proceedings]. Moscow, pp. 308–409 (in Russian).
Information about the author
Titova Ekaterina Student status:
Graduate student; Student status:
Graduate student; Academic Rank:
Professor; Place of study:
Lomonosov Moscow State University (MSU); Post:
post-graduate (student); ORCID: 0000-0002-1960-9831