Lukin Alexander; Puzanova Olga
St. Nicholas of Japan and his approach to state-church relations and the status of the Japanese Orthodox Church
Lukin Alexander, Puzanova Olga (2022)
"St. Nicholas of Japan and his approach to state-church relations and the status of the Japanese Orthodox Church ",
Vestnik Pravoslavnogo Sviato-Tikhonovskogo gumanitarnogo universiteta.
Seriia I : Bogoslovie. Filosofiia. Religiovedenie
pp. 11-29 (in Russian).
DOI of the paper: 10.15382/sturI202299.11-29
This article examines Nikolai’s views on Church-state relations and the status of the Japanese Orthodox Church. These two questions are inextricably linked because having founded and developed the Japanese Orthodox Church, Nikolai sought to build up its relations with the Japanese state, the Russian Orthodox Church and the Russian state, according to his understanding of the Orthodox ideal, and his views therefore had a direct bearing on his activities and the status of the Japanese Orthodox Church.The topic of Nikolai’s ideas about the status of the Japanese Church is poorly covered by the available literature, which predominantly adopts the simplistic view that Nikolai immediately tried to create a church that was as independent from the Russian Church as possible. This view, however, relies on individual comments taken out of context. The issue is important both in itself and for those who wish to investigate how far the potential indigenisation of the Orthodox Church can be stretched, as well as Nikolai’s views on the matter. The authors conclude that it would be a gross over-simplification to say that Nikolai supported an independent Japanese Church from the outset of his work in the country. In fact, he advocated close ties with the Russian Church for the foreseeable as a guarantee of the Japanese Church’s commitment to true Orthodoxy and fought actively against those who supported premature independence. While it is true that for pragmatic purposes, he would publicly express opinions in support of actual independence for the Japanese Church, this only took place during a period of growth in anti-Russian sentiment in Japan and he would only do so to protect the Church from attacks.
Russia, Japan, Nicholas of Japan, church, state, status
- Alekseeva S. (2005) “Proekty reformy Sviateishego Sinoda vtoroi poloviny XIX veka”. Vestnik PSTGU. Seriia II: Istoriia. Istoriia Russkoi Pravoslavnoi Tserkvi, vol. 1, pp. 5–23 (in Russian).
- Ballhatchet H. J. (2003) “The Modern Missionary Movement in Japan: Roman Catholic, Protestant, Orthodox”, in M. R. Mullins (ed.) Handbook of Christianity in Japan, Leiden-Boston: Brill, pp. 35–68.
- Beliakova E. (2013) “ÆSimfoniia Vlastei″ ili Æsvobodnaia tserkov′ v pavovom gosudarstve″: russkie diskussii nachala XX veka”. Istoriia, vol 7 (23), no. 4, available at: https://history.jes.su/s207987840000628-9-1 (11.01.2022) (in Russian).
- Bezhanidze G. (2012) “Proekty ustroeniia vysshego upravleniia Russkoi Pravoslavnoi Tserkvi serediny XIX v.” Vestnik PSTGU. Seriia II: Istoriia. Istoriia Russkoi Pravoslavnoi Tserkvi,, vol. 5 (48), pp. 7–24 (in Russian).
- Nakamura K. (ed.) (2004) Dnevniki sviatogo Nikolaia Iaponskogo. St Petersburg (in Russian).
- Mazurika Ju. (2009) “Sv. Nikolai Iaponskii i russko-iaponskaia voina 1904–1905 gg.: opyt primireniia skvoz′ prizmu very”. Aktual′ni problemy vitchyznyanoyi ta vsesvitn′oyi istoriyi, vol. 12, pp. 168–179 (in Russian).
- Neill S. (1964) A History of Christian Missions. New York.
- Perabo B. C. (2017) Russian Orthodoxy and the Russo-Japanese War. London.
- Sablina E. (2006) 150 let Pravoslaviia v Iaponii. Istoriia Iaponskoi Pravoslavnoi Tserkvi i ee osnovatel’ Arkhiepiskop Nikolai. Moscow; St Petersburg (in Russian).
- Savchuk R. (2018) Problemy vzaimootnoshenii Tserkvi i obshchestva rubezha XIX–XX vekov v osmyslenii Nikolaia Iaponskogo. Moscow (in Russian).
- Sho Konishi (2013) Anarchist Modernity: Cooperatism and Japanese-Russian Intellectual Relations in Modern Japan. Cambridge.
- Penaty i kniga. (2018–2019) Sobranie trudov ravnoapostol′nogo Nikolaia Iaponskogo: v 10 t. Moscow. Vols 1, 2, 3 (in Russian).
- Sukhanova N. (2013) Istoriia Iaponskoi Pravoslavnoi Tserkvi v XX veke: put′ k avtonomii. St. Petersburg (in Russian).
- Zherikhina E. (2009) “V. B. Bazhanov — protopresviter i dukhovnyi nastavnik”. Trudy SPbGUKI, vol. 184, pp. 379–383 (in Russian).
Information about the author
Lukin Alexander Academic Degree:
Doctor of Sciences*
in History; Academic Rank:
Professor; Place of work:
MGIMO University; Post:
Director of the Center for East Asian and SCO Studies; ORCID: 0000-0002-1962-2892
*According to ISCED 2011, a post-doctoral degree called Doctor of Sciences (D.Sc.) is given to reflect second advanced research qualifications or higher doctorates.
Puzanova Olga Academic Degree:
PhD in Philosophy; Place of work:
National Research University Higher School of Economics; Post:
Assistant Professor; ORCID: 0000-0002-2200-2686
Research for this article was supported by MGIMO University, project No. 1921-01-02.