John 1:19–2:25 as a Synopsis of John’s Gospel
Strelov Vladimir (2021)
"John 1:19–2:25 as a Synopsis of John’s Gospel ",
Vestnik Pravoslavnogo Sviato-Tikhonovskogo gumanitarnogo universiteta.
Seriia I : Bogoslovie. Filosofiia. Religiovedenie
pp. 9-19 (in Russian).
DOI of the paper: 10.15382/sturI202196.9-19
Using the ideas of bishop Kassian (Bezobrazov) and biblical studies which were summarised by revd. R. Braun, this article proposes to distinguish in the Gospel of John a special section, which contains a brief summary (“synopsis”) of the whole Gospel history. This section has probably a sevenfold structure, and includes the Gospel story from John’s testimony to Passion and Resurrection. Each so called “day” introduces one of the key themes of the Evangelist, i.e. testimony, staying-abiding, believing, signs, fullness of life, Passion, it also introduces key Christological titles. The subsequent story develops these themes in detail through the examples. Isolation of this synopsis and its description aff ords to eliminate the problem of harmonisation of the Gospel’s chronology (i.e. double proclamation of Jesus as the Messiah, renaming of Peter and cleansing of the Temple), helps to understand the text itself and the key ideas of the author about obtaining faith and life for the readers of the Gospel.
Biblical studies, exegesis, hermeneutics, theology of John’s Gospel, structural analysis, expanded introduction, synopsis, seven days’ theory
- Augustinus (2020) In Evangelium Ioannis. T. 1. Moscow: Sibirskaia blagozvonnitsa (Russian translation).
- Emel′ianov A. (ed.) (2001) Evangel′skii synopsis [Synopsis of Gospel]. Moscow: Izd-vo PSTBI (in Russian).
- Bezobrazov K. (1995) “Tolkovanie na Evangelie ot Ioanna” [“Commentary on the Gospel of John”]. Simvol, no. 34, pp. 15–190 (in Russian).
- Bezobrazov K. (2001) Khristos i pervoe khristianskoe pokolenie [Christ and First Christian Generation]. Moscow: Izd-vo PSTBI; Russkii put’ (in Russian).
- Alfeev I. Chetveroevangelie [The Four Gospels]. Vol. 3. Moscow: Izdatel’skii dom «Poznanie» (in Russian).
- Ioannes Chrysostomus (1993) In Ioannem homiliae. T. 1. Moscow: Izdatel’skii otdel Moskovskogo Patriarkhata (Russian translation).
- Kuliev O. I. (ed.) (2018) Origenes. Commentaria in evangelium Ioannis. Saint-Petersburg: Izdatel’stvo RKhGA (Russian translation).
- Pokorný P., Heckel U. (2012) Einleitung in das Neue Testament. Moscow: Izdatel’stvo BBI (Russian translation).
- Sorokin A. (2006) Khristos i Tserkov’ v Novom Zavete [Christ and Church in New Testament]. Moscow: Izdatel’stvo Krutitskogo podvor’ia (in Russian).
- Barrett C. K. (1978) The Gospel According to St. John. Philadelphia: The Westminster press.
- Brodie Th. (1997) The Gospel According to John. A Literary and Theological Commentary. Oxford University Press.
- Brown R. E. (1966) The Gospel according to John (I-XII). New York: Doubleday and Company.
- Bultmann R. (1971) The Gospel of John. A Commentary. Philadelphia: The Westminster Press.
- Casey M. (2010) Jesus of Nazareth. An Independent Historian’s Account of His Life and Teaching. New York: T&T Clark.
- Guilding A. (1960) The Forth Gospel and Jewish Worship. Oxford.
- Kysar R. (2007) John, the Maverick Gospel. Louisville-London: Westminster John Knox Press.
- Temple W. (1963) Readings in St. Johns’ Gospel. London: MacMillan & Co LTD.
- Conti M. (ed.) (2010) Theodore of Mopsuestia. Commentary on the Gospel of John. Illinois: IVP Academic.
Information about the author
Strelov Vladimir Place of work:
College of Biblical Fundamentals of Church Service “Nasledie” (“Th e Heritage”); Post:
rector, lecturer; ORCID: 0000-0002-7063-4389