Reception by P. A. Florensky of V. S. Soloviev’s heritage: from philosophy to teology of pan-unity
Pavliuchenkov Nikolai (2021)
"Reception by P. A. Florensky of V. S. Soloviev’s heritage: from philosophy to teology of pan-unity ",
Vestnik Pravoslavnogo Sviato-Tikhonovskogo gumanitarnogo universiteta.
Seriia I : Bogoslovie. Filosofiia. Religiovedenie
pp. 41-60 (in Russian).
DOI of the paper: 10.15382/sturI202196.41-60
The article deals with the fi rst stage of the philosophical and theological work of priest Pavel Florensky. At this stage, Florensky turns to the heritage of V.S. Solovyov and makes an attempt to give a theological interpretation of his main concepts, i.e. the doctrine of the Sophia the Wisdom of God and “God-manhood”. The author pays special attention to Florensky’s attempt to introduce the very metaphysics of pan-unity into Orthodox theology. According to the author, the task of studying the metaphysics of unity in Florensky’s philosophy and theology can be divided into two components: features of Florensky’s understanding of V. Solovyov’s heritage and Florensky’s application of new concepts that appeared in Russian academic theology in the late XIX — early XX centuries. In this connection, the process of gradual rethinking of Solovyov’s ideas is traced. This process was accompanied by the use of the teachings of Archimandrite (later bishop and metropolitan) Antony (Khrapovitsky). This teaching was new to academic theology in Russia. Khrapovitsky considered the “multi-unity” of humanity as a refl ection of the Trinity of the Deity. Florensky translated this teaching from the moral fi eld to the fi eld of ontology. From this point of view, the author analyses Florensky’s early work “The Concept of the Church in Holy Scripture”, which, in its main provisions, formed the basis of his most famous work, “The Pillar and the Ground of Truth”. It is noted that Florensky creatively reworked the ideas of V. Solovyov and Metropolitan Anthony (Khrapovitsky). As a result, he carried out the experience of building a concept that can be called the theology of unity. At a later stage of his work, Florensky only corrects this metaphysics. In accordance with the theology of St. Gregory Palamas, he replaces the concept of the communion of the creature of the Divine essence on the communion of the Divine energy and considers it from a new point of view. He develops the energy concept of the symbol and the ontology of the concentric levels of being. In this ontology, the philosophical and theological interpretation of church worship and the performance of church sacraments is embedded.
Florensky, Solovyov, Khrapovitsky, unity, philosophy, theology, Church
- Florenskii P. (1992) Detiam moim. Vospominaniia proshlykh dnej [To my children. Memories of past days]. Moscow: Moskovskii rabochii (in Russian).
- Florenskii P. (1996) “Ikonostas” [“Iconostasis”], in Florenskii P. Izbrannye trudy po iskusstvu [Selected works on art], Moscow: Izobrazitel′noe iskusstvo, pp. 73–198 (in Russian).
- Florenskii P. (1996) Sochineniia: V 4 t. [Works: in 4 vols]. Vol. 2. Moscow: Mysl′ (in Russian).
- Florenskii P. A. (2018) “Poniatie Tserkvi v Sviashchennom Pisanii” [“The concept of the Church in the Holy Scriptures”], in Florenskii P.A. Bogoslovskie trudy 1902–1909 [Theological works 1902–1909]. Moscow: Izdatel′stvo PSTGU (in Russian).
- Florenskii P. A. (1990) Sochineniia. Vol. 1 (1). Stolp i utverzhdenie Istiny [Works. The Pillar and the Ground of Truth]. Moscow: Pravda (in Russian).
- Florenskii P. A. (1990) Sochineniia. Vol. 1 (2). Stolp i utverzhdenie Istiny [Works. The Pillar and the Ground of Truth]. Moscow: Pravda (in Russian).
- Florenskii P. V. (2011) Obretaia put’. Pavel Florenskii v universitetskie gody [Finding the way. Pavel Florensky during his university years] Vol. 1. Moscow: Progress-Traditsiia (in Russian).
- Florenskii P. (2012) Arkhimandrit Serapion Mashkin (Zhizn’ myslitelia) [Archimandrite Serapion Mashkin (Thinker’s Life)]. Kostroma (in Russian).
- Garaeva G. F. (2000) Sofiinyi idealizm kak istoriko-fi losofskii fenomen [Sophiological Idealism as Historical and Philosophical Phenomenon]. Moscow: Dialog-MGU (in Russian).
- Isupov K. G. (2001) P. A. Florenskii: Pro et contra. Saint-Petersburg: RKhGA (in Russian).
- Ivanova E. V. (ed.) (2004) Pavel Florenskii i simvolisty. Opyty literaturnye. Stat’i, Perepiska [Pavel Florensky and Symbolists. Literary Works. Articles, Correspondence]. Moscow: «Iazyki slavianskoi kul’tury» (in Russian).
- Kern K. (2007) “Iz vospominanii” [“From Memories”], in Mitropolit Antonii (Khrapovitskii). Izbrannye trudy, pis’ma, materialy [Selected Works, Letters, Papers], Moscow: PSTGU, pp. 792–831 (in Russian).
- Khrapovitskii A. (2002) Dogmat iskupleniia [Dogma of Redemption]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Mashkin S. (2016) “Sistema filosofii: Opyt nauchnogo sinteza” [“The system of philosophy: Experience of scientific synthesis”]. Simvol, vol. 67 (in Russian).
- Meiendorf I. (1994) “O raskole” [“On Schism”]. Novaia Evropa, vol. 4, pp. 65–70 (in Russian).
- Pavlyuchenkov N. N. (2016) Akrhimandrit Serapion (Mashkin) i ego «Sistema filosofii» [Archimandrite Serapion (Mashkin) and his “System of Philosophy”]. Moscow: Izdatel’stvo PSTGU (in Russian).
- Pavliuchenkov N. N. (ed.) (2014) “Perepiska P. A. Florenskogo i V. F. Erna” [“Correspondence between P. A. Florensky and V. F. Ern”], in Russkoe bogoslovie: issledovaniya i materialy [Russian Theology: Research and Materials], vol. 1, Moscow: PSTGU, pp. 199–231 (in Russian).
- Pavliuchenkov N. N. (2015) “Ideia Sofi i v trudakh sviashchennika Pavla Florenskogo” [“Idea of Sophia in Pavel Florensky’s Works”]. Vestnik PSTGU. Seriia I: Bogoslovie. Filosofiia, vol. 4 (60), pp. 24–38 (in Russian).
- Polovinkin S. M. (2015) Khristianskii personalizm sviashchennika Pavla Florenskogo [Christian Personalism of Priest Pavel Florensky]. Moscow: RGGU (in Russian).
- Prosvirnin I. (1982) “O tvorcheskom puti svyashchennika Pavla Florenskogo” [“About the creative path of the priest Pavel Florensky”]. Zhurnal Moskovskoj Patriarhii, vol. 4, pp. 65–76 (in Russian).
- Shavel’skii G. (1996) Vospominaniia poslednego protopresvitera russkoi armii i fl ota [Memories of the Last Protopriest of Russian Army and Navy]. Vol. 2. Moscow (in Russian).
- Sholomova S. (1998) “«Ostaius’ Vash dobrozhelatel’ i bogomolets…» (K istorii vzaimootnoshenii sviashchennika Pavla Florenskogo i mitropolita Antoniia (Khrapovitskogo)” [“On a History of Relations between Priest Pavel Florensky and Metropolitan Antonĳ (Khrapovitskĳ )”]. Zhurnal Moskovskoi Patriarkhii, vol. 6, pp. 67–80 (in Russian).
- Sobolev S. (1935) Novoe uchenie o Sofii Premudrosti Bozhiei [A New Doctrine of Sophia the Wisdom of God]. Sofiia (in Russian).
- Solov’ev V. S. (1994) Chteniya o Bogochelovechestve [Readings on God-manhood]. Saint-Petersburg: Hudozhestvennaya literature (in Russian).
- Trubachev A. (1990) “Iz istorii knigi «Stolp i utverzhdenie Istiny»” [“From the history of the book ‘The Pillar and the Ground of Truth’”], in Florenskĳ P. A. Sochineniya [Works], vol. 1 (2), Moscow: Pravda, pp 827–837 (in Russian).
- Trubachev A. (1998) Teodiceya i antropodiceya v tvorchestve svyashchennika Pavla Florenskogo [Theodicy and Anthropodicy in the works of the Priest Pavel Florensky]. Tomsk: Vodolej (in Russian).
- Trubachev A. (ed.) (2005) Bibliograficheskii spravochnik. Lichnost’, zhizn’ i tvorchestvo sviashchennika Pavla Florenskogo [Bibliographic reference. The personality, life and work of the priest Pavel Florensky]. Sergiev Posad (in Russian).
- Trubachev A. (1987) “Sviashchennik Pavel Florenskii — professor Moskovskoi Dukhovnoi akademii i redaktor «Bogoslovskogo vestnika»” [“Priest Pavel Florensky — Professor of Moscow Spiritual Academy and Editor of ‘Theological Review’”]. Bogoslovskie Trudy, vol. 28, pp. 290–314 (in Russian).
- (2010) “Perepiska V. V. Rozanova i P. A. Florenskogo” [“Correspondence of V.V. Rozanov and P.A. Florensky”], in V.V. Rozanov. Literaturnye izgnanniki [Literary exiles], vol. 2, Moscow: Respublika; St. Petersburg: Rostok (in Russian).
- (1999) Perepiska svyashch. P. A. Florenskogo so svyashch. S. N. Bulgakovym [Correspondence of the priest P. A. Florensky with the priest S. N. Bulgakov]. Tomsk: Vodolej (in Russian).
Information about the author
Pavliuchenkov Nikolai Academic Degree:
Candidate of Sciences*
in Philosophy; Academic Degree:
Candidate of Sciences*
in Theology; Academic Rank:
Associate Professor; Place of work:
St. Tikhon’s Orthodox University for the Humanities; 6/1 Likhov pereulok, Moscow 127051, Russian Federation; ORCID: 0000-0002-7778-139X
*According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, the degree of Candidate of Sciences (Cand.Sc.) belongs to ISCED level 8 — "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar.