The development of the doctrine of apocatastasis and the problem of evil in the ""Big trilogy"" by archpriest Sergius Bulgakov
Antonenko Victoria (2021)
"The development of the doctrine of apocatastasis and the problem of evil in the ""Big trilogy"" by archpriest Sergius Bulgakov ",
Vestnik Pravoslavnogo Sviato-Tikhonovskogo gumanitarnogo universiteta.
Seriia I : Bogoslovie. Filosofiia. Religiovedenie
pp. 88-105 (in Russian).
DOI of the paper: 10.15382/sturI202195.88-105
The article studies the doctrine of the apocatastasis in the Big Trilogy by Revd. Sergius Bulgakov. It outlines the evolution in this work of the concept of universal salvation and shows that the author specifi cally formulates his doctrine of apocatastasis in the final part of the trilogy on God-manhood, The Bride of the Lamb. The article traces how the Bulgakov’s sophiology is related to his eschatological ideas and to the doctrine of God-manhood in its direct connection with the concept of apocatastasis. A number of questions are examined as to how Bulgakov understood the place and meaning of Sophia in the divine creation, the correlation between Sophia the divine and the created. Particular attention is paid to the themes of the incarnation, kenosis and parousia. An important aspect of Bulgakov’s doctrine of apocatastasis is its connection with the problem of the evil and the theodicy because it is only the principle of overall salvation can be the prerequisite of the fi nal overcome of the evil. Speculating about the source of the true evil, Bulgakov assigns a signifi cant place in the doctrine of the apocatastasis to angelology. In the context of the doctrine of apocatastasis, Bulgakov explains such concepts as death, mortality, and immortality of a person. He connects the problem of death with the distinction between time as eternity and temporality as something non-existent. Distinguishing the two states: time and temporality, Bulgakov also considers the question of the eternity of torment in hell. To solve the question of possible universal salvation, he also reveals the following problems: the temporality of the eternal, the incommensurability of the divine and the created, the nature of the created freedom. The author of the article believes that the main signifi cance in understanding and revealing the concept of the apocatastasis of Bulgakov is his Christology, since it is in the image of the God-man that the philosopher fi nds the real basis for the possibility of universal salvation. The principle of the coexistence of two natures, which was manifested in the person of the God-man, is translated by Bulgakov onto humanity. He creates the doctrine of God-manhood understanding it as universal human salvation in Sophia.
S. N. Bulgakov, doctrine of apocatastasis, universal restoration, salvation, created freedom, created evil, eternity of torment, temporality of eternity, parousia, dying together
- Alfi mova Zh. P. (2009) “Antropologiia Origena Aleksandriiskogo v sviazi s ucheniem o vremeni: na osnove traktata «O nachalakh»” [Anthropology of Origen of Alexandria in connection with the doctrine of time: based on the treatise ‘On the First Principles’]. Voprosy filosofii, vol. 6, pp. 139–159 (in Russian).
- Bulgakov S. N. (1933) “Agnets Bozhii” [Lamb of God]. Put’, vol. 41, pp. 101–105 (in Russian).
- Bulgakov S. N. (1933) Agnets Bozhii. O Bogochelovechestve. [The Lamb of God. About Godmanhood]. Part 1. Paris: Ymca-press (in Russian).
- Bulgakov S. N. (1936) Uteshitel’. O Bogochelovechestve. [Comforter. On God-manhood]. Part 2. Paris: Ymca-press (in Russian).
- Bulgakov S. N. (1945) Nevesta Agnca. O Bogochelovechestve [The bride of the Lamb. On Godmanhood]. Part 3. Paris: Ymca-press (in Russian).
- Bulgakov S. N. (1948) Apokalipsis Ioanna (Opyt dogmaticheskogo istolkovania) [Apocalypse of John (An Attempt of Dogmatic Interpretation)]. Paris: Ymca-press (in Russian).
- Bulgakov S. N. (2001) “Iuda Iskariot — apostol-predatel’” [Judas Iscariot, the apostle-traitor], in A. Reznichenko (ed.) Trudy o Troichnosti [Works on Trinity], Moskow: OGI (in Russian).
- Davydenkov O. (2013) Dogmaticheskoe bogoslovie [Dogmatic Theology]. 3rd ed. Moscow: PSTGU (in Russian).
- Florovsky G. V. (2011) O voskresenii mertvykh [On the resurrection of the dead]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Gavrilyuk P. (2006) “Universal salvation in the eschatology of Sergius Bulgakov”. Journal of Theological Studies, vol. 57, pp. 110–132.
- Gavrilyuk P. (2011) “The Judgment of Love: The Ontological Universalism of Sergius Bulgakov”, in G. MacDonald (ed) All shall be well: explorations in Universalism and Christian theology from Origen to Moltmann, Cambridge: The Lutterworth Press, pp. 280–304.
- Gusev D. V. (2011) “Antropologicheskie aspekty apokaliptiki v filosofskom nasledii S. N. Bulgakova” [Anthropological aspects of apokalyptics in the philosophical legacy of S. N. Bulgakov]. Bulgakovskie chteniia, vol. 5, pp. 88–98 (in Russian).
- Nosov A. A. (1992) “Rekonstruktsiia 12-go «Chteniia po fi losofi i religii» V. S. Solov’eva” [Reconstruction of Soloviev’s 12-th ‘Lecture on Philosophy of Religion’]. Simvol, vol. 28, pp. 245–258 (in Russian).
- Origenes (2008) De Principiis. St Petersburg: Bibliopolis (Russian translation).
- Ramelli I. (2013) The Christian doctrine of apokatastasis, Leiden-Boston: Brill.
- Reznichenko A. I. (2019) “«Predestinatsiya» i «sud’ba» v rabote prot. Sergiia Bulgakova «Iuda Iskariot — apostol-predatel’» (k rekonstruktsii bulgakovskoy metafi ziki istorii)” [‘Predestination’ and ‘fate’ in the work of prot. Sergius Bulgakov ‘Judas Iscariot — the apostle-traitor’ (to the reconstruction of Bulgakov’s metaphysics of history)], in A.P. Kozyrev (ed.) Bulgakov Sergei Nikolaevich, Moscow, pp. 145–162 (in Russian).
- Soloviev V. S. (2000) “Krizis zapadnoi fi losofi i. Protiv pozitivistov” [The crisis of Western philosophy. Against the positivistsi], in Polnoe sobranie sochinenii i pisem v 20 t. [Complete works and letters in 20 vols], Moscow: Nauka, vol. 1, pp. 37–152 (in Russian).
- Soloviev V. S. (2000) “Vera, razum i opyt” [“Faith, reason and experience”], in Polnoe sobranie sochinenii i pisem v 20 t. [Complete works and letters in 20 vols], Moscow: Nauka, vol. 3, pp. 367–390 (in Russian).
- Tsertelev D. N. (2000) “Iz vospominanii o Vladimire Sergeeviche Solov’eve” [From recollections about Vladimir Sergeevich Soloviev], in Vl. Soloviev: Pro et contra: Lichnost’ i tvorchestvo Vladimira Solovieva v otsenke russkikh myslitelei i issledovatelei. Antologiia [Vl. Solovjov: Pro et contra: Personality and work of Vladimir Solovjov in view of Russian thinkers and scholars. An Antology], St Petersburg: Izdatel’stvo Russkogo Khristianskogo gumanitarnogo instituta, vol. 1, pp. 347–359 (in Russian).
- Vaganova N. A. (2011) Sofiologiia protoiereia Sergiia Bulgakova [Sophiology of Archpriest Sergius Bulgakov]. Moscow: PSTGU (in Russian).
- Vaganova N. A. (2013) “Tainstvo, dogmat i antinomiia v sofi ologii prot. S. Bulgakova” [Mystery, dogma and antinomy in the sophiology of Archpriest S. Bulgakov”]. Vestnik PSTGU. Seriia I: Bogoslovie. Filosofia, vol. 4 (48), pp. 40–51 (in Russian).
- Zander L. A. (1948) Bog i mir [God and world]. Paris: Ymca-press (in Russian).
- Zwahlen, Regula M. (2016) “Die trinitarische Konzeption der Person bei Nikolaj Berdjaev und Sergej Bulgakov”. Istoriia filosofii, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 151–159 (Russian translation).
Information about the author
Antonenko Victoria Student status:
Graduate student; Place of study:
St. Tikhon’s Orthodox University for the Humanities; 6/1 Likhov pereulok, Moscow 127051, Russian Federation; ORCID: 0000-0002-8748-5973