This article is an attempt to analyze and classify the sources for the study of the philosophy of Archbishop Nikanor (Brovkovich) (1826-1890). Archbishop Nikanor is little known as a philosopher, in spite of the fact that he was the author of one of the first Russian philosophical systems. This is unfortunately due to the diffi culties involved with accessing the works of Nikanor as well as to the fact that the texts themselves are very obscure and complicated. Thus it falls to the author of this article to provide an analysis of the content of the archive of Nikanor, to fix the date of the writing of certain of his more important philosophical texts, to reveal the existence of unpublished texts, to explore the meaning of Nikanor’s theological works and teachings, as well as to reconstruct his biographical material. The article is based on a scrupulous analysis of all available archival material as well as on a painstaking selection of published books from hard to access sources.The author of the article sets out to evaluate the philosophical output of nikanor comparing it with that of his contemporaries as well as with the work of later philosophers. He underscores the problems connected with research on Nikanor especially those stemming from the lack of accessibility of his work. Special attention is given to the most important source for students of his philosophy — Nikanor’s personal archive conserved in Odessa. The author concludes that it is without a doubt necessary to close the gap in Russian philosophy by restoring Nikanor, one of its brightest fi gures, to his rightful place in its history.
Archbishop Nikanor (Brovkovich), Positivistic Philosophy and Super- Sensible Being, Archival Fund of Archbishop Nikanor
1. Zen’kovskĳ V. V., prot. Istorĳa russkoj filosofii (History of Russian Philosophy). Rostov-on- Don, 1999
2. Nikanor (Brovkovich), arhiep. Pozitivnaja filosofija i sverhchuvstvennoe bytie (Positive Philosophy and extrasensory Being). Saint Petersburg, 1876
3. Solov’ev V. S. Polnoe sobranie sochinenĳ i pisem (Coplete Works and Letters). Мoscow, 2000.
4. Solov’ev A. P. 2012. Metodologicheskĳ seminar BAGSU pri Prezidente RB: Sbornik materialov, no. 1.
5. Kolubovskĳ Ja. N. 1891. Materialy dlja istorii filosofii v Rossii. X. Arhiepiskop Nikanor (Materials for the History of Philosophy in Russia). Voprosy filosofii i psihologii, no. 4, pp. 122– 133.
6. Nikanor (Brovkovich), arhim. Razbor rimskogo uchenĳa o vidimom (papskom) glavenstve v cerkvi, sdelannyj na osnovanii Svjashhennogo Pisanĳa i Predanĳa pervyh vekov hristianstva do I vselenskogo sobora (Analysis of Roman-Catholic Doctrine of papal Primacy in the Church, made on the ground of Holy Scripture and Holy Tradition in the first Centuries of Christianity before fi rst Ecumenical Council). Kazan, 1871.
7. Znamenskĳ P. V. Istorĳa Kazanskoj Duhovnoj Akademii za pervyj (doreformacionnyj) period ee sushhestvovanĳa (1842–1870 gody) (History of Kazan Seminary in the first Period (before the Reform) of its Exostence (1842–1870)). Kazan, 1892
8. Zefirov E. A. 1893. Moi vospominanija o preosvjashhennom Nikanore za vremja ego rebyvanija na Ufimskoj kafedre (1877–1884) (My Memories about Archbishop Nikanor during my stay on Cathedra of Ufa (1877–1884)). Strannik, no. 2.8, pp. 450–467; no. 3, pp. 112–138; 304–320; 507–524; 717–725.
9. Jurkevich M., svjashh. Iz dnevnika prihodskogo pastyrja. Cerkovnaja disciplina, tipikon i ustavnost’ (From parish Priest’s Diary. Church Discipline, Typicon and ustavnost’). Saint Petersburg, 1901
10. Nikanor (Brovkovich), arhiep. Biograficheskie materialy (Biographical Materials). Odessa, 1900
11. Nikanor (Brovkovich), arhiep. 1908. Moja hirotonija (My Chirotony). Russkĳ arhiv, no 2, pp. 145–248.
12. Nikanor (Brovkovich), arhiep. 1886. Napravlenie i znachenie filosofii Nikolaja Grota (Tendency and Meaning of N. Grot’s Philosophy). Pravoslavnoe obozrenie, no. 10, pp. 271–320.
13. Grot N. Ja. 1886. O napravlenii i zadachah moej filosofii. Po povodu stat'i arhiepiskopa Nikanora (On the Tendency and Meaning of my Philosophy. Concerning the Article of Archbishop Nicanor). Pravoslavnoe obozrenie, no. 12, pp. 792–809.
14. Nikol’skĳ A. A. 1901. Filosofskie vozzrenija Nikanora (Brovkovicha), arhiepiskopa Hersonskogo (Philosophical views of Nicanor ( Brovkovich ), Archbishop of Kherson). Vera i razum, no. 16, 17, 19, 20.
15. Nikanor (Brovkovich), arhiep. Minuvshaja zhizn’. Iz byta belogo i monashestvujushhego duhovenstva vtoroj poloviny XIX-go veka (Past Life. From everyday Life of secular and regular Clergy in the second half of XIX century). Odessa, 1913.