How the monopoly of “scientific atheism” in Soviet social science was ruined
Filippov Boris (2022)
"How the monopoly of “scientific atheism” in Soviet social science was ruined ",
Vestnik Pravoslavnogo Sviato-Tikhonovskogo gumanitarnogo universiteta.
Seriia I : Bogoslovie. Filosofiia. Religiovedenie
pp. 107-122 (in Russian).
DOI of the paper: 10.15382/sturI2022104.107-122
As an integral part of Marxism-Leninism, scientific atheism was being protected fromcriticism with the help of an information blockade. Teaching its basics (from 1959) in higher education institutions formed such a theoretical attitude to religion, which practically excluded from the socio-cultural and scientific space any full-fledged knowledge about religion, religious institutions, religious figures and thinkers. But if atheism in the USSR was planted using the full power of ideological services and the entire system of higher education of the country, then resistance to it was an individual matter. And it remained so throughout the entire Soviet period. Realizing the negative attitude of society towards the anti-religious and anti-church campaigns, Soviet leaders stopped to destruct churches. Shortly after the fall of N. Khrushchev, the All-Russian Society for the Protection of Historical and Cultural Monuments (VOOPiK) was created, which began to be legal opposition to anti-church policy. Since the late 60s , religious samizdat has begun to develop. Our article is devoted to two special cases from the history of destruction in the scientific space of the information blockade on religious and ecclesiastical matters. This blockade breakthrough was carried out by employees of two major Soviet ideological institutes: the editorial office of the Philosophical Encyclopedia and the Institute of Scientific Information on Social Sciences of the USSR Academy of Sciences (INION of the USSR Academy of Sciences). Preparation of The Philosophical Encyclopedia started during the years of the anti-religious and anti-church campaign. It seemed that the situation itself excluded any resistance to the ideological policy of the CPSU. But it was in this edition that the young philosophers, led by Renata Galtseva, with their articles on Russian religious philosophy, dealt a tangible blow to the monopoly of scientific atheism. The second blow was inflicted by INION employees with their abstract collections. They managed to show what role religion and churches have played and continue to play in people's lives, in socialist countries including. The author was a contemporary, and in some cases a participant in the events described in the article.
scientific atheism, information blockade, individual resistance, Philosophical Encyclopedia, Institute of Scientific Information, abstract collections, "samizdat", religious revival.s
- Alekseev V. (1992) “Shturm nebes” otmeniaetsia? Kriticheskie ocherki po istorii bor′by s religiei v SSSR [“The assault on heaven is cancelled?” Critical essays on the history of fight against religion in the USSR]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Alekseeva L. (1992) Istoriia inakomysliia v SSSR. Noweishyi period [The history of dissent in the USSR. The current period]. Vilnius; Moscow (in Russian).
- Berger J. (2017) “INION kak seredina zhizni” [INION as a midlife], in Belen′kii I. (ed.) FBONINION: Vospominaniia i portrety [FBON-INION: Memoirs and Portraits], available at http://heritage.inion.ru/storage/pdf/FBON-INION_Vypusk_2.pdf (accessed 23.08.2018; in Russian).
- Filippov B. (ed.) (1985) Problemy molodezhy v evropeiskikh sotsialisticheskikh stranakh [Problems of the youth in European Socialist countries]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Filippov B. (1989) Ioann Pavel II. Politicheskii portret [John Paul II. Political portrait]. Nauka i religia, vol. 2, pp. 12–20 (in Russian).
- Filippov B. (ed.) (1981) Tserkov′ v sotsialisticheskikh stranakh [Church in Socialist countries]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Filippov B. (ed.) (1991) Papstvo v sovremennom mire [Papacy in contemporary world]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Filippov B., Orlov B. (eds) (1987) Obshchestvenno-politicheskie vzgliady Ioanna Pavla II [Social and political views of John Paul II]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Galtseva R., Filippov B. (eds) (1988) Problemy pravoslaviia v zarubezhnykh issledovaniiakh [Problems of Orthodoxy in foreign studies]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Kanterov I. (1979) Klerikal′nyi antikommunizm [Clerical anticommunism]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Kariakin Y., Plimak Y. (1960) “Berdiaev N. A.”, in Filosofskaia entsyklopediia [Encyclopaedia of philosophy], vol. 1, p. 148 (in Russian).
- Kimilev Yu. (ed.) (1983) Religiia i politika [Religion and politics]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Krupinin A. (2009) “Interv′iu s vdovoi akademika Sergeia Sergeevicha Averintseva — Natal′ei P. Averintsevoi” [Interview with N. Averintseva, widow of Sergey Averintsev], in Vospominaniia ob Averintseve [Memories about Averintsev], available at https://bookscafe.net/book/averincev_sergey-vospominaniya_ob_averinceve_sbornik-183948.html (accessed 07.10.2020; in Russian).
- Latynina A. (2012) “Dar very i dar fi losofskogo voproshaniia” [Gift of faith and gift of philosophical questioning]. Znamia, vol. 10, pp. 184–190 (in Russian).
- (1981) O religii i cerkvi. Sb. vyskazyvanĳ klassikov marksizma-leninizma, dokumentov KPSS i Sov. gosudarstva [On Religion and Church. Collection of Quotes from Classics of Marxism- Leninism, Documents of CPSU and Soviet State]. Мoscow (in Russian).
- Plugin V. (1974) Mirovozzrenie Andreia Rubleva (Nekotorye problemy). Drevnerusskaia zhyvopis′ kak istoricheskii istochnik [Andrei Rublev’s worldview (several issues). Old Russian paintings as a historical source]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Razumovich N., Salmin A. (eds) (1983) Katolitsizm i politika [Catholicism and politics]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Smirnov M. (2018) “Nauchnyi ateizm v sovetskom vysshem obrazovanii: periodizatsiia i soderzhanie” [Scientific atheism in Soviet higher education]. Vestnik Leningradskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta imeni A. S. Pushkina, vol. 3, pp. 144–171 (in Russian).
- Smolkin V. (2021) A Sacred Space Is Never Empty: A History of Soviet Atheism. Moscow (Russian translation).
- Staszewski M. (1976) Państwo a związki wyznaniowe w europejskich krajach socjalistycznych [State and religious unions in European Socialist countries]. Warsaw.
- Staszewski M. (1979) Socialisticheskoe gosudarstwo i religioznye ob′edineniia. Na materialakh evropeiskikh sotsialisticheskikh stran [Socialist state and religious unions. On the material of European Socialist countries]. Moscow (Russian translation).
Information about the author
Filippov Boris Academic Degree:
Candidate of Sciences*
in History; Place of work:
St. Tikhon’s Orthodox University for Humanities; 23B Novokuznetskaia Str., Moscow 115184, Russian Federation; Post:
professor; ORCID: 0000-0001-8250-3688
*According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, the degree of Candidate of Sciences (Cand.Sc.) belongs to ISCED level 8 — "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar.
In memory of Renata Galtseva