Draft document, currently stored in a single copy in the personal fund of A.I. Klibanov in the Archive of the Russian Academy of Sciences, is published in the article. The document consists of 31 sheets of typewritten text, prepared in June 1966 by a group of scientists (A.I. Klibanov, P.K. Kurochkin, L.N. Mitrokhin, E.G. Filimonov and G.S. Lyalina) for the Propaganda and Agitation Department of the Central Committee of the Soviet Union Communist Party. The authors analyze a lot of material, on the basis of which the first part of the document gives an assessment of the internal schism taking place in the Soviet Baptist Church. A special narrative is given to the activities of Council of Churches of Evangelical Christians-Baptists (CC ECB) and its May protest action, held in the center of Moscow, in which several hundred believers took part. Emphasizing the anti-Soviet sentiments among the followers of the SC ECB, the authors of the document refer to this religious organization first as a «militant church», and later clarify this name in the form «militant Baptism». In the final part, the document contains nine constructive proposals to suppress the conflict between the CC ECB and the state, as well as to normalize interaction between the authorities and various religious organizations. The surviving copy of the document has several losses that could not be replenished. Attempts to find a complete document in various archives and personal funds did not bring any result. Parts of the published document have become the basis for a number of books, pamphlets and articles written by members of the research group who prepared the document. The May protest action and the document published in this article played an important role in the publication of the entire popular science publishing series «Library “Modern Religions”».
Baptism, Council of Churches of Evangelical Christian Baptists, 1966 May 16–17, Klibanov Alexander Ilyich, Kurochkin Pavel Konstantinovich, Mitrokhin Lev Nikolaevich, Filimonov Eduard Gennadievich, Lyalina Galina Sergeevna
- Bartoshevich E. (1969) Svideteli Iegovy [Jehovah’s witnesses]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Belenkii M. (1966) Iudaizm [Judaism]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Belov A. (1968) Adventizm [Adventism]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Danilenko S. (1972) Uniaty [Uniates]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Dashkovskii P., Dvorianchikova N. (2017) “Polozhenie khristianskikh obshchin v Altaiskom krae v seredine 1960-kh — seredine 1970-kh gg.” [The situation of Christian communities in the Altai Territory in the mid-1960s — mid-1970s]. Religiovedenie, no. 1, pp. 31–40 (in Russian).
- Dobson M. (2011) “The First Dissidents? Discussion of Legality in the 1960s”, in 105 let legalizacii russkogo baptizma: materialy mezhdunarodnoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii (5–7 aprelia 2011 g.) [105 years of legalisation of Russian Baptism: conference proceedings], Moscow, pp.198–203.
- Enisherlov M., Lukachevskii A., Mitin M. (eds) (1932) Voinstvuiushchee bezbozhie v SSSR za 15 let. 1917–1932 [Militant atheism in the USSR over 15 years. 1917–1932]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Etkin I. (1963) S pozitsii voinstvuyushchego ateizma [From the point of view of militant atheism]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Filimonov E. (1968) Baptizm i gumanizm [Baptism and humanism]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Garadzha V. (1971) Protestantizm [Protestantism]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Glushaev A. (2020) “Ispovedal′nye praktiki ‘ochishcheniia’ v dvizhenii baptistov-initsiativnikov (1960-e — nachalo 1980-kh godov): istoriko-kul′turnye aspekty” [Confessional practices of ablution in the movement of Baptists-“initsiativniki” (1960s — early 1980s): historical and cultural aspects]. Tekhnologos, no. 1, pp. 47–56 (in Russian).
- Glushaev A. (2017) “Raskol v baptizme: ‘initsiativniki’ i ‘religioznyi ekstremizm’ v interpretatsiiakh sovetskoi ateisticheskoi literatury 1960–1980-kh gg” [Disunity in the Baptists’ church: “initsiativniki” and “religious extremism” in interpretations of the Soviet atheistic literature of 1960–1980]. Vestnik Pravoslavnogo Sviato-Tixonovskogo gumanitarnogo universiteta. Seriia I: Bogoslovie. Filosofiia. Religiovedenie, no. 71, pp. 104–118 (in Russian).
- Katunski A. (1972) Staroobriadchestvo [Old believers]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Klibanov A., Mitrokhin L. (1967) Krizisnye iavleniia v sovremennom baptizme [Crisis phenomena in modern Baptism]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Klibanov A., Mitrokhin L. (1967) “Raskol v sovremennom baptizme” [Disunity in modern Baptism]. Voprosy nauchnogo ateizma, vol. 3, pp. 84–110 (in Russian).
- Kochetov A. (1968) Buddizm [Buddhism]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Krest′ianinov V. (1967) Mennonity [Mennonites]. Moscow (in Russian).
- “Kto takie ‘initsiativniki’ u evangel′skikh khristian-baptistov” (1966) [Who are the “initsiativniki” among Evangelical Christians-Baptists]. Nauka i religiia, no. 7, pp. 24–25 (in Russian).
- Kuroedov V. (1969) O sovremennom sostoianii religii v SSSR i zadachakh usileniia kontrolia za sobliudeniem zakonodatelstva o religioznykh kul′takh [On the current state of religions in the USSR and the tasks of strengthening control over compliance with the legislation on religious cults]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Kuroedov V. (ed.) (1971) Zakonodatel′stvo o religioznykh kultakh: sbornik materialov i dokumentov [Legislation on religious cults: Collection of materials and documents]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Lukachevskii A. (1933) Marksizm-leninizm kak voinstvuiushhii ateizm [Marxism-Leninism as militant atheism]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Lukachevskii A., Murav′ev E., Shokhor V. (eds) (1931) Za voinstvuiushhee bezbozhie: Metodicheskoe posobie dlia agitatorov [For the militant atheism: agitators’ handbook]. Moscow; Leningrad (in Russian).
- Lialina G. (1977) Baptizm: illiuzii i real′nost′ [Baptism: illusions and reality]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Lialina G. (1979) Novye tendentsii v ideologii baptizma [New trends in the ideology of Baptism]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Malakhova I. (1970) Dukhovnye khristiane [Spiritual Christians]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Mavliutov R. (1969) Islam. Moscow (in Russian).
- Mchedlov M. (1970) Katolitsizm. Moscow (in Russian).
- Mitrokhin L. (1966) Baptizm. Moscow (in Russian).
- Mitrokhin L. (1974) Baptizm. 2nd ed. Moscow (in Russian).
- Moskalenko A. (1966) Piatidesyatniki [Pentecostals]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Nikolskaia T. (2008) Russkii protestantizm i gosudarstvennaia vlast′ v 1905–1991 godax [Russian Protestantism and state power in 1905–1991]. St. Petersburg (in Russian).
- Savin A. (2016) “‘Mnogie dazhe ne dopuskaiut mysli, chto sektant mozhet byt′ chestnym chelovekom’: ‘brezhnevskii’ povorot v antireligioznoi politike i rossiiskii protestantizm (1964– 1966 gg.)” [“Many doesn’t even consider the possibility that the cultist could be an honest man”. Brezhnev’s turn in anti-religious policy, and the Russian protestantism (1964–1966)]. Vestnik Tverskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Seriia: Istoriia, no. 4, pp. 59–75 (in Russian).
- Savinskii S. (2001) Istoriia evangel′skikh khristian-baptistov Ukrainy, Rossii, Belorussii [History of Evangelical Christian Baptists in the Ukraine, Russia, White Russia]. Pt. 2: 1917–1967. St. Petersburg (in Russian).
- Titov V. (1967) Pravoslavie. Moscow (in Russian).
Kolmakova Maria Academic Degree:
Candidate of Sciences*
in Philosophy; Place of work:
Herzen State Pedagogical University; St. Petersburg, Russia; Post:
197046 г. Санкт-Петербург, ул. Малая Посадская, д. 26; ORCID: 0000-0002-2859-7473
*According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, the degree of Candidate of Sciences (Cand.Sc.) belongs to ISCED level 8 — "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar.
The reported study was funded by RFBR, project number № 19–311–60008 "The science of religion in the USSR in the 70-80s. of ХХ century : historical bibliographic research"