Archaeological data on the fresco decoration of the 14th century building at the Archbishop court in Novgorod the Great
Tsarevskaya Tatiana (2019)
"Archaeological data on the fresco decoration of the 14th century building at the Archbishop court in Novgorod the Great ",
Vestnik Pravoslavnogo Sviato-Tikhonovskogo gumanitarnogo universiteta.
Seriia V : Voprosi istorii i teorii hristianskogo iskusstva
pp. 31-44 (in Russian).
DOI of the paper: 10.15382/sturV201933.31-44
This article analyses the complex of fresco fragments belonging to the decoration of one of the civil buildings in Vladychiy Dvor in Novgorod, namely the so-called chambers of Vasiliy Kalika. The fact that during the archaeological study in the territory of this construction more than 300 fresco fragments were found has a special signiﬁ cance for establishing the former architectural shape of this building, as well as its purpose, and allows one to see a certain planned decoration of its inner space, which unambiguously testiﬁ es that the functions of this ﬂ our were not at all householdrelated. Most of the fragments represent remnants of polychrome background paintwork which in some places were accompanied by ornaments. The number of the fragments found is rather small, which does not allow us to claim that the rooms were painted entirely. The painting could cover the vaults and some speciﬁ c architectural partitions of the walls, as well as the slopes of window openings and, possibly, the niches. The properties of the plaster, the mixed technique of fresco with tempera, as well as the coloristic range of the murals make it possible to attribute the fragments to the time of Archbishop Evﬁ miy Vyazhishchsky (1429‒1458). Some of these ﬁ nds might be related to the decoration of Vladychnaya Chamber, painted in 1441, and could ﬁ nd their way into the archaeological layers of the eastern excavation sites from the main porch. On the whole, a comparatively small number of the fragments of ruined murals that have been identiﬁ ed during the excavations (their overall size does not exceed 2 square metres) does not allow us to make far-reaching conclusions as to the decoration of the rooms in which they were discovered. However, with the same degree of certainty one cannot exclude that we deal with the remains of the painting made in spring of 1434, the mention of which (as the painting of the “former” chamber) is contained in Novgorod First Chronicle of the later version.
Old Russian architecture, Old Russian painting, Rus’ in 14th — 15th centuries, monumental painting, frescoes, fragments of ruined wall-painting, technology of painting, Novgorod the Great, Novgorod archbishop
- Antipov I. (2015). “Novgorodskii Vladychnyi dvor v XIV–XV vv. Novye dannye i perspektivy izucheniia” [Vladychyi Dvor in Novgorod in the 14th — 15th Centuries. New Data and Prospects of Study]. Novgorodskii istoricheskii sbornik. № 15 (25). Velikii Novgorod. Pp. 45–57.
- Antipov I., Bulkin V., Zherve A. (2009). “Novye materialy k istorii novgorodskogo Vladychnogo dvora” [New Materials for the History of Vladychyi Dvor in Novgorod], in Lazarevskie chteniia. Iskusstvo Vizantii, Drevnei Rusi, Zapadnoi Evropy. Materialy nauchnoi konferentsii [Art of Byzantium, Ancient Rus and Western Europe. Conference Proceedings]. Moscow. Pp. 141‒157.
- Antipov I., Bulkin V., Zherve A. (2017). “Grazhdanskaia postroika v novgorodskom Detintse” [Civil Construction in Detinets of Novgorod]. Seminarium Bulkinianum IV. St Petersburg. Pp. 59‒71.
- Kalugina I., Iakovlev D., Ruzaeva E. (2009). “Arkhitektura Vladychnoi palaty Novgorodskogo kremlia po materialam issledovanii 2006–2008 godov” [Architecture of Vladychnaya Chamber in Novgorod Kremlin Based on the Materials of Studies of 2006‒2008]. Novgorod i Novgorodskaia zemlia. Iskusstvo i restavratsiia. № 3. Velikii Novgorod. Pp. 140‒178.
- Sarab'ianov V. (2009). “Rospisi Vladychnoi Palaty Novgorodskogo Kremlia: Kel'ia Ioanna. Predvaritel'nye zametki po rezul'tatam restavratsionnykh rabot 2006–2007 gg.” [Murals of Vladychnaya Chamber in Novgorod Kremlin: Chamber of Ioann. Preliminary Remarks as to the Results of Restoration Work of 2006‒2007]. Novgorod i Novgorodskaia zemlia: Iskusstvo i restavratsiia. № 3. Velikii Novgorod. Pp. 127‒128.
- Smirnova E., Tsarevskaia T. (2018). “O monumental'noi zhivopisi Novgoroda 1330 — nachala 1350 gg.” [On Monumental Painting in Novgorod of the 1330s — Early 1350s], in Istoriia russkogo iskusstva [History of Russian Art]. Vol. 4. Moscow. Pp. 453–463.
- Tsarevskaia T. (2009). “O novgorodskoi stenopisi vremeni arkhiepiskopa Evﬁ miia II” [On Novgorod Mural Painting of the Time of Archbishop Evﬁ miy II]. Novgorod i Novgorodskaia zemlia: Iskusstvo i restavratsiia [Novgorod and its Land: Art and Restoration]. № 3. Velikii Novgorod. Pp. 61–75.
Information about the author
Tsarevskaya Tatiana Academic Degree:
Doctor of Sciences*
in Art Criticism; Academic Rank:
Senior Research Fellow; Place of work:
St. Petersburg University; 7-9 Universitetskaia naberezhnaia, St Petersburg, Russian Federation; State Institute for Art Studies; 5, Kozitskij pereulok, Moskow 125009, Russian Feseration; Post:
Leading Researcher; ORCID: 0000-0002-0774-9474
*According to ISCED 2011, a post-doctoral degree called Doctor of Sciences (D.Sc.) is given to reflect second advanced research qualifications or higher doctorates.
The study was carried out with the financial support of the Russian Science Foundation within the framework of the scientific project No. 18-18-00045 “Stone Civil Architecture of Novgorod XIV-XV Centuries: Complex Study”.