The musical embodiment of Life features in the second symphony “The life of st. Sergius of Radonezh” by A. Kurchenko
Kornilova Irina (2017)
"The musical embodiment of Life features in the second symphony “The life of st. Sergius of Radonezh” by A. Kurchenko ",
Vestnik Pravoslavnogo Sviato-Tikhonovskogo gumanitarnogo universiteta.
Seriia V : Voprosi istorii i teorii hristianskogo iskusstva
pp. 170-180 (in Russian).
DOI of the paper: 10.15382/sturV201728.170-180
This article deals with the Second Symphony by Alexander Petrovich Kurchenko “The Life of St. Sergius of Radonezh” and pays special attention to features of the use of the canonical form of Life and main elements of topics typical of Lives of saints, as well as to details of their musical embodiment in the work in question. It was found that that the structure of the symphony diff ers from the canonical scheme of the extensive Life due to the absence of the introductory and fi nal parts. The symphony by A. Kurchenko exposes the main part of the canonical scheme of an extensive Life and includes a number of motifs (topoi) such as, for example, the motif of the Divine Signs preceding the birth of the saint, the motif of his inability to read and write overcome with God’s help, the motif of describing the decease of the saint, about which he usually knows in advance. The range of topoi also includes those that are specifi cally typical of Lives of monks and founders of monasteries, such as the future saint’s departure for the desert, the assembly of the brethren and the arrangement of the monastery, the deathbed instruction for the brethren.
hagiography, topos, Lives of saints, monastic Lives, musical refl ection of topos, symphony
- Belik P., “Obraz Sergiya Radonezhskogo s zhitiem vo Vtoroj Simfonii A.Kurchenko”, in: Muzykal'naya Akademiya, 4, 2015.
- Vlasov V. G., Novyj ehnciklopedicheskĳ slovar' izobrazitel'nogo iskusstva: V 10-ti t., St. Petersburg, IV, 2006.
- Gudzĳ N. K., Istoriya drevnej russkoj literatury, Moscow, 2003.
- Delehaye H., Les legendes hagiographiques, Brussel, 1905.
- Dmitriev L. A., “Zhanr severnorusskikh zhitĳ ”, in: TODRL, 27, Leningrad, 1972.
- Zhitie i podvigi Prepodobnogo i Bogonosnogo otsa nashego Sergiya, igumena Radonezhskogo i vseya Rossii chudotvortsa, sostavlennuyu ieromonahom, vposledstvii arhiepiskopom, Nikonom (Rozhdestvenskim), available at: www.stsl.ru/lib/book1/chap1.php (15.06.2017).
- Rudi T. R., “O kompozitsii i topike zhitĳ prepodobnykh”, in: TODRL, 57, St. Petersburg, 2006.
- Uspenskĳ N. D., Drevnerusskoe pevcheskoe iskusstvo, Moscow, 1971.
Information about the author
Kornilova Irina Student status:
Graduate student; Place of study:
St. Tikhon’s Orthodox University for the Humanities; 6/1 Likhov pereulok, Moscow 127051, Russian Federation; Email: