Hieromartyr’s Serafim (Chichagov) music and its phenomenon in Russian church and secular culture at the turn of XIX-XX centuries
Korostelyov Dmitry (2017)
"Hieromartyr’s Serafim (Chichagov) music and its phenomenon in Russian church and secular culture at the turn of XIX-XX centuries ",
Vestnik Pravoslavnogo Sviato-Tikhonovskogo gumanitarnogo universiteta.
Seriia V : Voprosi istorii i teorii hristianskogo iskusstva
pp. 111-121 (in Russian).
DOI of the paper: 10.15382/sturV201727.111-121
The article deals with musical art of hieromartyr Serafim Chichagov comparing it with the church and secular music at the end of the nineteenth and at the beginning of the twentieth centuries. The legacy of st. Serafim is an unique example of music written by canonized saint. It is unusual in its genre content and inner substance. We have no information about any instrumental music written by another saint. Piano pieces by metropolitan Seraphim do not belong to the secular area in art, but they also differ much from the contemporary Church music. Chichagov's songs have no precedent in the musical art: romance features combine in them with spiritual texts and relevant character.
The purpose of the article is to show the unique nature of hieromartyr Serafim works and their inner distinction from the art contemporary to him. The accent is made on the substantial and stylistic originality of Chichagov’s music. The study used synchronous and chronological science methods. Most vividly shown within the frame of the article are piano and vocal-instrumental pieces. The problems of dating and genre peculiarities are highlighted in detail. The main derivation is: music by st. Serafim Chichagov is an unprecedent one and its phenomenon has no continuation in musical art, but it gives a good impetus to modern composers who write spiritual music.
music, hieromartyr Serafim Chichagov, phenomenon, genre peculiarities, the problems of dating, confessionalization, sermons without words
- Arsenii (Stadnitskii), mitr. Dnevnik. T. 2: 1902-1903 gg. (Diary. Vol. 2: Years 1902-1903) PSTGU, Moscow, 2013, p. 109.
- Brileva T.V., Ignatovich T.N. Tserkov' Nikolaia Chudotvortsa v istorii Rumiantsevskogo muzeia // Kniga v prostranstve kul'tury (The st. Nicholas’s the Wonderworker Church in the History of Rumiantsevskii Museum // Book in the cultural area) Russian State Library, Moscow, 2013, vol. 1 (9), p. 135.
- Pis'ma episkopa Serafima k Ignat'evoi S.S. (Bishop’s Serafim letters to Ignat’eva S.S.) GARF, fund 730, registry 1, file 4851, p. 80.
- Svod sochinenii i napevov Pravoslavnoi tserkvi / sost. I.A. Zhuravlenko (Corpus of Works and Tunes of the Russian Orthodox Church) Palomnik, Moscow, 2002.
- Serafima (Chernaia-Chichagova), ig. Vospominaniia o mitropolite Serafime i ego sem'e (Memories about Metropolitan Serafim and his Family) Moskva, no. 11-12, 1992, pp. 196-197.
- Ty Bog moi! Muzykal'noe nasledie sviashchennomuchenika mitropolita Serafima Chichagova / sost. O.I. Pavlova, V.A. Levushkin (You are my God! The Musical Heritage by Hieromartyr Serafim (Chichagov)) Sibirskaia blagozvonnitsa, Moscow, 2016, p. 100.
- Khondzinskii P., prot. «Tserkov' ne est' akademiia»: Russkoe vneakademicheskoe bogoslovie XIX veka («Church is not an Akademy»: Russian non-academic theology of the 19th century) PSTGY, Moscow, 2016, pp. 18-21.
- Iulin V.A. Serafim znachit plamennyi: ocherk zemnoi zhizni sviashchennomuchenika mitropolita Serafima (Chichagova) (Serafim Means Fervent: a Brief Essay on the Earthly life of Hieromartyr Serafim (Chichagov)) Sibirskaia blagozvonnitsa, Moscow, 2010, pp. 56-57.
Information about the author
Korostelyov Dmitry, диакон Academic Degree:
Master of Ttheology; Place of work:
Ss. Cyril and Methodius theological institute of post-graduate studies; 4/2, bld. 1, Pyatnitskaya st., 115035 Moscow, Russian Federation; Email: