Abc-books for baptised tatars of the second half of the 19th — first decades of the 20th centuries
Salnikova Alla (2019)
"Abc-books for baptised tatars of the second half of the 19th — first decades of the 20th centuries ",
Vestnik Pravoslavnogo Sviato-Tikhonovskogo gumanitarnogo universiteta.
Seriia IV : Pedagogika. Psihologiia
pp. 90-101 (in Russian).
DOI of the paper: 10.15382/sturIV201953.90-101
This article deals with the history of the Baptised-Tatar ABC-book (Russ. букварь) which was designed for a specifi c ethno-confessional group, namely Volgaand Ural-region Tatars, i.e. baptised Orthodox Tatars (Kryashens). This ethnoconfessional group had been forming mainly during the second half of the 16th — fi rst half of the 18th centuries, after the conquest of the Khanate of Kazan in 1552 and its inclusion in the Russian state. The article gives a detailed description of the fi rst ABC-book for the baptised Tatars: Букварь, краткая священная история, сокращенный катехизис и молитвы (Russ. “ABC-book, concise Holy History, abridged catechism, and prayers”), prepared and published in 1862 by the prominent Russian orientalist, educationalist and missionary N.M. Il’minskiy. Attention is paid to its novel character as an ABC-book in the Tatar language designed in Cyrillic script. The article studies the history of preparation of the ABC-book, the problem of authorship, the problem of adapting the Russian alphabet to Tatar phonetic features. The ABC-book was republished many times up to 1917 and was the only ABC-book for baptised Tatars during all this period. The article also identifi es the role and place of this ABC-book in the integrated system of Christian enlightenment of non-Russian ethnic groups of Russia developed by N.I. Il’minskiy, as well as in the formation of Orthodox religious consciousness among baptised Tatars. Special attention is paid to the fi rst Sovied Baptised- Tatar ABC-books published in the second half of the 1920s in Arabic and then in Latin scripts as a specifi c cultural and historical phenomenon refl ecting the national and educational strategy of Soviet authorities prior to transition to the unifi ed system of school education in the USSR, both as a medium of integrating a child not only into the new Soviet reality, but also into the new Tatar educational and ethno-cultural space which took into account the cultural specifi city of each ethno-cultural group, reaching as far as separate education. Overall, the ABC-book is discussed in the context of the authoritative “imperial” educationl perspective and the adjustment of the Imperial and Soviet educational policy to specifi c conditions of multi-ethnic and multi-confessional environment.
ABC-books, baptised Tatars (Kryashens), Volga-Ural Tatars, state educational policy, multi-ethnic space, multi-confessional space, educational system of N. I. Il’minsky, Soviet “graphic revolutions”, Russian Empire and USSR, second half of 19th century — 1920s
- Alekseev I., Shîrîf G. (1926) Iakty iul. Beten suzler metody buencha, komplekslar belen gosprogrammalaryna karatyp kreshen shkollary echen tezelgen bukvar’ ‘’em uku kitaby. Kazan (in Tatar).
- Alekseev I., Shîrîf G. (1926) Iaa avyl. Avyl tatar mekteplere echen beten suzler ysuly belen tezelgen elifba. Kazan (in Tatar).
- Aliksĳ ef I., Grigurĳ ef A. (1928) Jana tormoş. Kerşen şkollar’ sn lifba. Qazan (in Tatar).
- Aliksĳ ef I., Grigurĳ ef A. (1928) Jana tormoş. Kerşen şkollar’ sn lifbadan suᶇ uqu kitab’. Qazan (in Tatar).
- Gorokhov V. (1941) Reaktsionnaia shkol’naia politika tsarizma v otnoshenii tatar Povolzh’ia [Reactionary School Policy of Tsarism towards Volga-Region Tatars]. Kazan’ (in Russian).
- Grigor’ev A. (1927) Kershennr arasynda «Iaalif» ms’llre. Kazan (in Tatar).
- Islaev F. (2001) Islam i pravoslavie v Povolzh’e XVIII stoletiia: ot konfrontatsii k terpimosti [Islam and Orthodoxy in Volga Region of the 18th Century: From Confrontation to Tolerance]. Kazan’ (in Russian).
- Islaev F. (1999) Pravoslavnye missionery v Povolzh’e [Orthodox Missionaries in Volga Region]. Kazan’ (in Russian).
- Iskhakov D. (2006) “Kreshchenye tatary” [Baptised Tatars], in G. Sabirzianov (ed.) Tatarskaia entsiklopediia [Tatar Encyclopaedia], vol. 3. Kazan, 462−464 (in Russian).
- Iskhakov R. (2011) Missionerstvo i musul’mane Volgo-Kam’ia [Missionaries and Muslims of Volga and Kama Regions]. Kazan’ (in Russian).
- Iskhakov R. (2015) “K istorii sozdaniia pervogo tatarskogo kirillicheskogo alfavita i formirovaniia pis’mennoi traditsii tatar-kriashen (kreshchenykh tatar)” [On the History of Preparation of the First Tatar Cyrillic Alphabet and Development of Written Tradition of Tatars-Kryashens]. Izv. Samarsk. tsentra RAN, vol. 17/3, pp. 319−322 (in Russian).
- Iskhakov R. (2015) “Osveshchenie politiki khristianizatsii tatar Volgo-Kam’ia v otechestvennoi dorevoliutsionnoi istoriografi i” [The Study of the Policy of Christianisation of Tatars of the Volga and Kama in Russian Pre-Revolution Historiography]. Kriashenskoe istoricheskoe obozrenie, vol. 1, pp. 20−56 (in Russian).
- Iskhakov R. (2015) “Razvitie konfessional’nogo obrazovaniia kreshchenykh tatar v XVIII v.” [Development of Confessional Education of Baptised Tatars in the 18th Century]. Vestnik Kazanskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta kul’tury i iskusstv, vol. 3, pp. 78−82 (in Russian).
- Khakimov R. (ed.) (2017) Istoriia i kul’tura tatar-kriashen (XVI−XX vv.) [History and Culture of Tatars-Kryashens (16th — 20th Centuries)]. Kazan’ (in Russian).
- Kurbatov Kh. (1999) Tatar telene alfavit hm orfografi ia tarikhy. Kazan (in Tatar).
- Lipakov E. (2002) “Il’minskogo alfavit” [Il’minskiy’s Alphabet], in G. Sabirzianov (ed.) Tatarskia entsiklopediia [Tatar Encyclopaedia], vol. 2. Kazan, 558 (in Russian).
- Nogmanov A. (2005) Samoderzhavie i tatary [Tsar’s Power and Tatars]. Kazan’ (in Russian).
- Sal’nikova A., Galiullina D. (2014) Tatarskaia “Alifba”. Natsional’nyi bukvar’ v mul’tikul’turnom prostranstve (konets XIX — nachalo XX v.) [Tatar “Alifba”. Ethnical ABC-Book in Multi-Cultural Space (Late 19th — Early 20th Centuries]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Sal’nikova A., Galiullina D. (2013) “Tatarskii bukvar’ na kirillitse: ot bukvaria N. I. Il’minskogo do sovetskikh uchebnikov kontsa 1930−1950-kh gg.” [Tatar ABC-Book in Cyrillic Scripts: From N. I. Il’minskiy’s ABC-Book to Soviet Textbooks of the Late 1930s — 1950s]. Otechestvennaia i zarubezhnaia pedagogika, 4 (13), 102−120 (in Russian).
- Sudakova N. (1972) Iz istorii metodiki prepodavaniia russkogo iazyka v nerusskoi shkole [From the History of Teaching the Russian Language in a Non-Russian School]. Makhachkala (in Russian).
Information about the author
Salnikova Alla Academic Degree:
Doctor of Sciences*
in History; Academic Rank:
Professor; Place of work:
Kazan (Volga) Federal University; 18 Kremlevskaia Str., Kazan. 420008, Russian Federation; Post:
Professor; ORCID: 0000-0002-5498-1401
*According to ISCED 2011, a post-doctoral degree called Doctor of Sciences (D.Sc.) is given to reflect second advanced research qualifications or higher doctorates.