The study analyzes the experience of promoting values in the contents of education in the UK. The authors identify four stages from 1988 to present and associate them with the development of a Uniﬁed curriculum and Education Reform Act in the UK (1987–1988); the adoption of the Education Law and the National Forum for Values (1992–1996); the adoption of Education Laws in 2002 and in 2005 (2002–2005); and the adoption of the Law on promoting British values in education in 2014 (2014 to present). The paper represents actual data on promoting social, cultural, spiritual and moral development of pupils in British schools; characterizes the conditions of promoting religious education in school; gives examples of modern rethinking of the concept of multiculturalism, the role of religion in modern school and society, as well as the issues on how a secular state should support religious diversity and tolerance.
religious education, religious education, and spiritual development of pupils, content of education, values in the content of education
1. Viazemskii E. E. Sovremennaia sistema obrazovaniia v Velikobritanii // Novye issledovaniia v obrazovanii: Problemy sovremennogo obrazovaniia. 2010. № 6. P. 68–83.
2. Kontseptsiia dukhovno-nravstvennogo razvitiia i vospitaniia lichnosti grazhdanina Rossii. URL: http://mosmetod.ru/metodicheskoe-prostranstvo/nachalnaya-shkola/inklyuzivnoe-obrazovanie/fgos/kontseptsiya-dukhovno-nravstvennogo-razvitiya-ivospitaniya-lichnosti-grazhdanina-rossii.html.
3. Strategiia razvitiia vospitaniia v Rossii do 2025 goda. URL: http://rg.ru/2015/06/08/vospitanie-dok.html.
4. «Troianskii kon'» islamizma. URL: http://www.svoboda.org/a/25359609.html.
5. Further and Higher Education Act 1992. URL: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1992/13.
6. Handbook for secondary teachers in England www.nc.uk.net Key stages 3 and 4 Revised 2004. URL: http://www.education.gov.uk/publications/eOrderingDownload/QCA-04-1374.pdf.
7. Promoting and evaluating pupils’ spiritual, moral, social and cultural development. URL: http://www.gloucester.anglican.org/content/pages/documents/1354799219.pdf.
8. SCAA (1996b) The National Forum for Values in Education and the Community: Consultation on Values in Education and the Community. L.: SCAA.
9. School Curriculum and Assessment Authority (1996) Education for Adult Life: The Spiritual and Moral Development of Young People: A Summary Report, SCAA, Discussion papers № 6.
10. School Curriculum and Assessment Authority (1996b) // The National Forum for Values for Values in Education and the Community: Final Report and Recommendations, SCAA/96/43, London: SCAA.