The revival of the interest in Orthodox culture in Russia naturally has the eﬀ ects on the national education: the foundation of Sunday schools and Orthodox gymnasiums, the introduction of a religious component in the comprehensive school (module «Fundamentals of the Orthodox culture» in the course «Basics of religious cultures and secular ethics»). However, problems connected with the methodology of teaching Orthodox culture in the confessional-oriented educational and general education institutions still remain urgent. The article presents some problems and features of the methods of teaching Orthodox culture in pre-revolutionary Russia, identiﬁed during the analysis of the educational-methodical literature. One of the ﬁrst problem is to set the program constructing of teaching of the law of God for Sunday schools and Orthodox gymnasiums, the choice of the method of presenting the material, which in pre-revolutionary practice was presented in three ways: gradual, joint and concentric. Each of them had its own peculiarities, which are necessary to be considered in modern programs developing, aimed at the study of Orthodox culture. The second important issue of the top-priority for a modern methods of teaching Orthodox culture, by the author's opinion, is the moral problem-oriented component in the lessons of the Law of God and the Fundamentals of Orthodox culture. Based on the experience of pre-revolutionary teachers, the author of the article oﬀers solutions to it using tools such as appealing to the experience of the child, the modeling of problem situations, etc. The article data represents the synthesis of the results of the initial stage in learning Orthodox culture teaching experience in pre-revolutionary Russia and cover the most actual problems for modern methods.
doctrinal discipline, the Law of God, the Orthodox culture, lesson, methodology of teaching the Law of God, method of presenting materials, gradual method, joint method, concentric method, the teacher of the Law of God, moral conclusion, historical conti
1. Averincev S. S. Hristianstvo: Jenciklopedicheskij slovar' (Christianity: Encyclopedic Dictionary), Moscow, 1993, vol. 1.
2. Blagonravov M., prot. Opyt metodicheskogo posobija dlja zakonouchitelej cerkovno-prihodskih shkol (Experience of Methodological Handbook for Religion Teachers of Church Parish School), Astrahan', 1911.
3. Vostorgov I. I., prot. 1902 “Otchet za 1901–1902 gg.” (Report for 1901–1902), in Duhovnyj Vestnik Gruzinskogo Jekzarhata, 1902, vol. 16, pp. 39–40.
4. Daniljuk A. Ja., Kondakov A. M., Tishkov V. A. Koncepcija duhovno-nravstvennogo razvitija i vospitanija lichnosti grazhdanina Rossii (Concept of Spiritual-Moral Development and Education of Person of Russian Citizen), Moscow, 2009.
5. Divnogorceva S. Ju. Istoriko-teoreticheskij analiz pravoslavnoj pedagogicheskoj kul'tury v Rossii: avtoref. dis. … d-r ped. nauk (Historical-Theoretical Analysis of Orthodox Pedagogical Culture in Russia: Dissertation Abstract), Moscow, 2011.
6. Divnogorceva S. Ju. 2011 “Razvitie pravoslavnoj pedagogicheskoj kul'tury v sovremennoj Rossii” (Development of Orthodox Pedagogical Culture in Modern Russia), in Pedagogika, 2011, vol. 4, p. 57.
7. Kiprian (Jashhenko), Igumen. Pravoslavnoe vospitanie: lekcii, interv'ju, vospominanija (Orthodox Education: Lectures, Interviews, Memories), Moscow, 2012.
8. Nozer F. Metodika Zakona Bozhija, ili Posobie k prepodavaniju Zakona Bozhija v nachal'noj shkole (Methodic of God’s Law, or Handbook for Teaching of God’s Law in Elementary School), Moscow, 1898.
9. Sinel'nikov S. P. Prepodavanie Zakona Bozhija v uchebnyh zavedenijah Rossii do 1917 goda (Teaching of God’s Law in Educational Institutions of Russia till 1917), in http://www.bogoslov.ru/text/453126.html
10. Sokolov D. P., prot. 1868 “O prepodavanii Zakona Bozhija (Po povodu novogo raspredelenija uchebnyh predmetov po klassam v gimnazijah i progimnazijah S.-Peterburgskogo uchebnogo okruga, vvedennogo v vide opyta v 1866/67 uchebnom godu)” (About Teaching of God’s Law (About New Distribution of Subjects between Classes in Gymnasiums and Progymnasiums of Teaching District of Saint-Petersburg, Introduced as Experience in 1866/67 School Year)), in Zhurnal Ministerstva Narodnogo Prosveshhenija, 1868, vol. 137).
11. Sosuncov E. F. Metodicheskie ukazanija i konspekty urokov po Zakonu Bozhiju: Kurs mladshego otdelenija nachal'noj shkoly (Methodical Indications and Conspects of Lessons for God’s Law: Course of Younder Department of Elementary School), Kazan', 1909.
12. Strahov N. N. Kratkaja metodika Zakona Bozhija s izlozheniem obshhih nachal i sredstv religioznogo vospitanija (Short Methodic of God’s Law with Statement of General Basics and Methods of Religious Education), Moscow, 1891.
13. Faddej (Uspenskij), arh. Tverskoj. Tvorenija (Works), Tver', 2003, vol. 2: Zapiski po didaktike (Notices for Didactics).
14. Shirskij S. I. O prepodavanii zakona Bozhija v nachal'nyh narodnyh uchilishhah (About Teaching of God’s Law in Elementary People Schools), Kostroma, 1876.