The conducted historical and theoretical review acquaints a reader with a state of the problem of faith in psychology. Basing on an analysis of foreign and domestic researches of faith, the author elicits their theoretical background. The gnoseological “skew” in understanding of faith as a psychological phenomenon is stated as well as methodological errors in researches of faith are fixed: elementarism, abstractness etc. Diff erent definitions of faith in psychology and philosophy are analyzed critically, the limits and philosophical foundations of definitions are disclosed. The structure of faith, proposed by scholars, is considered, the properties of faith are analyzed. The diff erences of concepts such as “faith”, “confidence”, “trust”, “belief” are noted. The author of article considers that the exploration of faith as a person’s relation is the most perspective approach. The concept “relation” allows to generalize all phenomenal manifestations of faith in a uniform construct. Faith is connected with a making of meaning process and is the precondition of any human activity (B.S. Bratus). Faith gives a complete image of the future which motivates a person, convincing that plans he or she has are realistic and achievable. The conducted theoretical analysis showed that the problem of faith in psychology is not identified, and various interpretations of this phenomenon are difficult to conceptualize. Psychological investigations of faith have no refl exive character. However, identification of the problem is possible if to be based upon general scientific and general psychological methodologies. As the author of article supposes, contemporary psychology needs to answer a question: whether is the problem of faith a kind of “pseudo-problem” in psychology, and a concept of faith — superfluous?
faith, problem of faith, psychological approach, philosophical approach, gnoseologism, knowledge, consciousness, belief, meaning, making of meaning
1. Aleksandrov A. D. Nauchniy poisk I religioznaja vera (Scientific Quest and Religious Faith), Moscow, 1974.
2. Argyle M. Religious Behavior, London, 1958.
3. Borunkov Yu.F. Struktura religioznogo soznanya (The Structure of Religious Consciousness), Moscow, 1991.
4. Bratus B. S. 1997, in Voprosy psihologii, vol. 5, pp. 3-19.
5. Bratus B. S. Anomalii lichnocti (Anomalies of Personality), Moscow, 1988.
6. Bukin V. R., Erunov B. A. Na grani very i neverya (On the Verge of Belief and Unbelief), Leningrad, 1974.
7. Clore V., Fitzgerald J. 2002, in Intentional faith: An alternative view of faith development. Journal of Adult Development, vol. 9/2, pp. 97-107.
8. Dzhejms U. Mnogoobrazie religioznogo opyta (The Varieties of Religious Experience), Moscow, 1993.
9. Dzhejms U. 1997 “Volja k vere i drugie ocherki populjarnoy filosofii” (The Will to Believe, and Other Essays in Popular Philosophy), in Dzhejms U. Volja к vere, Moscow, 1997, pp. 3-206.
10. Erunov B. A. Mnenie v chelovecheskom poznanii (Opinion in Human Knowledge), Leningrad, 1974.
11. Evstifeeva E. A. 1984, in Filosofskie nauki, vol. 6, pp. 71-77.
12. Fowler J. W. Stages of Faith: The Psychology of Human Development and the Quest for Meaning, San Francisco, 1995.
13. Frankl V. Chelovek v poiskah smysla (A Man Search for Meaning), Moscow, 1990.
14. Frankl V. Der Mensch von der Frage nach dem Sinn: eine Auswahl aus dem Gesamtwerk, Munchen, Zurich, 1979.
15. Fromm E. Imet' ili byt'? (To Have or to Be?), Moscow, 1986.
16. Fromm E. Psihoanaliz i etika (Psychoanalysis and ethics), Moscow, 1998.
17. Goryacheva A. I. 1971 “Problemy sotsialnoy psihologii v sovetskoy filosofskoy I psihologicheskoy literature” (The Problems of Social Psychology in Soviet Philosophical and Psychological Literature), in Uchenye zapiski TGU, vol. 273, pp. 138-139.
18. Gurevich P. S. Gumanizm i vera (Humanism and Faith), Moscow, 1990.
19. Kay J. B., Hatcher-Kay C. 2003 “Faith and health: Psychological perspectives”, in International Journal for Psychology of Religion, vol. 13/2, pp. 143-147.
20. Kozyreva A. K. 1968 “Priroda very” (The Nature of Faith), in Uchenye zapiski LGPI im. A. I. Gertsena, vol. 365, pp. 152-171.
21. Kozyreva A. K. 1971 “Vera i znanie” (Faith and Knowledge), in Uchenye zapiski LGPI im. A. I. Gertsena, vol. 444/1, pp. 131-145.
22. Laurence L. W. de. “The Psychology of Faith and Doubt”, in Laurence L.W. de. Printed in the United States, pp. 335-346.
23. Leont'ev A. N. Dejatelnost'. Soznanie. Lichnost' (Activity. Consciousness. Personality), Moscow, 1975.
24. Nikinov K. I. Religiozen li chelovek po prirode? (Is a Person Religious by the Nature?), Moscow, 1990.
25. Nosovich V. I. Psihologija religii (The Psychology of Faith), Leningrad, 1970.
26. Petrushenko V. L., Scherbakova G. N. Vera v duhovnom mire lichnosti (Faith in a Spiritual World of a Person), Lvov, 1989.
27. Platonov K. K. 1968 “Vera” (Faith), in Filosofskiy entsiklopedicheskiy slovar' (Philosophical Encyclopedic Dictionary), Moscow, vol. 1, pp. 240-241.
28. Platonov K. K. O sisteme psihologii (About System of Psychology), Moscow, 1972.
29. Platonov K. K. Psihologija religii. Fakty i mysli (The Psychology of Faith. Facts and Thoughts), Moscow, 1967.
30. Platonov K. K. Sistema psihologii i teorja otrazhenija (The System of Psychology and Reflection Theory), Moscow, 1982.
31. Popova M. A. Kritika psihologicheskoy apologii religii. Sovremennaja amerikanskaja psihologya religii (Criticism of Psychological Apologia of Religion. Modern American Psychology of Religion), Moscow, 1973.
32. Skripkina T. P. Psihologya doverya (The Psychology of Trust), Moscow, 2000.
33. Smith W. C. Belief and History, Charlottesville, 1977.
34. Smith W. C. Faith and Belief: The Difference between Them, Oxford, 1998.
35. Smith W. C. The Meaning and End of Religion. A New Approach to the Religious Traditions of Mankind, New York, 1964.
36. Tard G. Sotsialnaja logika (Social Logic), Saint-Petersburg, 1996.
37. Ugrinovich D. M. 1985, in Nauka i religya, vol. 2, pp. 32-40.
38. Ugrinovich D. M. Psihologya religii (The Psychology of Religion), Moscow, 1986.
39. Uznadze D. N. 2001 “Eksperimentalnye osnovy psihologii ustanovki” (Experimental Basics of the Psychogy of Attitude), in Psihologya ustanovki, Saint-Petersburg, 2001, pp. 5-254.
40. Yung K. G. Otvet Iovu (The Answer to Job), Moscow, 1999.
41. Zalesskiy G. E. Psihologya mirovozzrenya i ubezhdeniy lichnosti (The Psychology of Worldview and Beliefs of a Person), Moscow, 1994.