Various methodological problems concerning psychological research of the phenomenon of faith are discussed in the article. The possibility of a psychological investigation of faith is proved, the research difficulties are analyzed. It is noted that the problem of faith is in phase of its identification, the concrete questions identifying the problem of faith are formulated. The distinction between philosophical and psychological approaches to faith is elicited; specifics of psychological approach are revealed. Authors of the article have formulated provisions of the value and meaning approach and its requirement to a research of the phenomenon of faith within a psychological framework. Also the work presents the critical analysis of various research strategies realized in psychological studying of faith and proposes another productive strategy of a research.
methodological problems, the phenomenon of faith, philosophical approach, psychological approach, value and meaning approach, research strategies
1. Skripkina T. P. Psihologija doverija: Ucheb. posobie dlja stud. vyssh. ped. ucheb. zavedenij (Psychology of Confidence: Texbook for Pedagogical Students), Moscow, 2000.
2. Petrovskij A. V., Jaroshevskij M. G. Teoreticheskaja psihologija (Theoretical Psychology), Moscow, 2001.
3. Dubrovskij D. I. 2002 “Vera i znanie” (Faith and Knowledge), in Problema ideal'nogo. Sub’ektivnaja real'nost', Moscow, 2002, pp. 271-310.
4. Borunkov Ju. F. Struktura religioznogo soznanija (Structure of Religious Consciousness), Moscow, 1991.
5. Platonov K. K. O sisteme psihologii (About System of Psychology), Moscow, 1972.
6. Bukin V. R., Erunov B. A. Na grani very i neverija: filosofsko-psihologicheskij ocherk (On the Brink of Faith and Unbelieve: Philosophical-Psychological Survey), Leningrad, 1974.
7. Fowler J. W. Stages of Faith: The Psychology of Human Development and the Quest for Meaning, San Francisco, 1995.
8. Kozyreva A. K. 1971 “Vera i znanie“ (Faith and Knowledge), in Uchenye zapiski LGPI im. A. I. Gercena, Leningrad, 1971, vol. 444, vol. 1, pp. 132—145.
9. Petrushenko V. L., Shherbakova G. N. Vera v duhovnom mire lichnosti (Faith in Spiritual World of Person), L'vov, 1989.
10. Rubinshtejn S. L. 2003 “Bytie i soznanie” (Being and Consciousness), in Bytie i soznanie. Chelovek i mir, Saint-Petersburg, 2003, p. 45.
11. Vasiljuk F. E. Metodologicheskij analiz v psihologii (Methodological Analysis in Psychology), Moscow, 2003.