“Please accept the expression of my deep devotion”: letters of archpriest Georgy Grabbe to Grand Duke Vladimir Kirillovich (1948–1959)
Makovetsky Arkady (2019)
"“Please accept the expression of my deep devotion”: letters of archpriest Georgy Grabbe to Grand Duke Vladimir Kirillovich (1948–1959) ",
Vestnik Pravoslavnogo Sviato-Tikhonovskogo gumanitarnogo universiteta.
Seriia II : Istoriia. Istoriia Russkoy Pravoslavnoy Tserkvi
pp. 138-152 (in Russian).
DOI of the paper: 10.15382/sturII201988.138-152
This paper makes public the letters of archpriest Georgy Grabbe (later bishop Grigory 1902–1995), the long-term ruler of the Synodal offi ce of the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad. The letters are addressed to Grand Duke Vladimir Kirillovich, who in 1938 assumed the duties of the head of the Russian imperial house. The authorities of the Russian Church Abroad were playing with the idea of a monarchy, but they did not dare to directly support any of the branches of Romanov dynasty. In this regard, the correspondence of archpriest George, who was a supporter of Vladimir Kirillovich, is of great interest. At the same time, it is necessary to take into account the bias of the author of these letters. Thus, archpriest George explains in his own way the reasons why the Russian Church Abroad did not introduce the commemoration of Grand Duke Kirill Vladimirovich in the churches of Russian emigration. Archpriest George Grabbe also writes about the reasons why the Russian Church Abroad cannot take the initiative to proclaim Vladimir Kirillovich Emperor. It contains important information about the attitude of the Russian Church Abroad to the morganatic marriage of Grand Duke with Leonida Georgievna Bagration-Mukhranskaya. Several documents deal with the problems of Russian refugees after World War II, the problems of the fl ock and parishes, which Vladimir Kirillovich tried to help. The letters contain information regarding the relocation of Russian refugees to South America. Many of the published materials shed light for the fi rst time on events that were not refl ected in the offi cial documents of the Russian Church Abroad.
Russian Orthodox Church Abroad, Russian imperial house, Grand Duke Vladimir Kirillovich, Synod of Bishops of Russian Orthodox Church Abroad, bishop Grigory (Grabbe), monarchists-legitimists, Hiking Offi ce of Grand Duke, morganatic marriage, law of succession, canonical territory, Russian dioceses of Russian Orthodox Church Abroad
- Grabbe G., priest (1989) Pravda o Russkoi Tserkvi na rodine i za rubezhom [Truth about Russian Church in the Home Country and Abroad]. New York (in Russian).
- Grigorii (Grabbe), bishop. (1992) K istorii russkikh tserkovnykh razdelenii za granitsei [On the History of Russian Church Factions Abroad]. Jordanville (in Russian).
- Kostriukov A. (2007) Russkaia Zarubezhnaia Tserkov’ v pervoi polovine 1920-kh godov. Organizatsiia tserkovnogo upravleniia v emigratsii i ego otnosheniia s Moskovskoi Patriarkhiei pri zhizni patriarkha Tikhona [Russian Church Abroad in the FOrmer Half of the 1920s. Structure of Church Administration in Emigration and its Relations with Moscow Patriarchate during Life of Patriarch Tikhon]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Kostriukov A. (2012) Russkaia Zarubezhnaia Tserkov’ v 1925–1938 gg. Iurisdiktsionnye konfl ikty i otnosheniia s moskovskoi tserkovnoi vlast’iu [Russian Church Abroad in 1925‒1938. Jurisdictional Conflicts and Relations with Moscow Church Authorities]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Kostriukov A. (2015) Russkaia Zarubezhnaia Tserkov’ v 1939–1964 gg. Administrativnoe ustroistvo i otnosheniia s Tserkov’iu v Otechestve [Russian Church Abroad in 1939‒1964. Administrative Structure and Relations with the Church in Motherland]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Serafi m (Rouz), hieromonk, German (Podmoshenskii), hegumen (1993). Blazhennyi Ioann Chudotvorets [St. John the Wonderworker]. Moscow (in Russian).
Information about the author
Makovetsky Arkady, priest Academic Degree:
Candidate of Sciences*
in Philosophy; Academic Rank:
Associate Professor; Place of work:
Vladimir Th eological Seminary; Vladimir, Bolshaya Moskovskaya, 68, 600000, Russian Federation; ORCID: 0000-0001-7427-2891
*According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, the degree of Candidate of Sciences (Cand.Sc.) belongs to ISCED level 8 — "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar.