Kamchatka in the fate of Irkutsk archpriest P. V. Gromov (1801–1880) and in his academic and memoiristic heritage
Melnikova Sofya (2019)
"Kamchatka in the fate of Irkutsk archpriest P. V. Gromov (1801–1880) and in his academic and memoiristic heritage ",
Vestnik Pravoslavnogo Sviato-Tikhonovskogo gumanitarnogo universiteta.
Seriia II : Istoriia. Istoriia Russkoy Pravoslavnoy Tserkvi
pp. 11-22 (in Russian).
DOI of the paper: 10.15382/sturII201987.11-22
This article is devoted to archpriest Prokopy Vasilyevich Gromov from Irkutsk, the church historian and spiritual writer, the author of the fi rst general works on the history of Orthodoxy in the east of the Russian Empire. Gromov’s personality and scientifi c activity aroused steady interest among Siberian historians and experts in local history. However, a bibliography of his works and their study is not completed. In particular, a complex of works related to the topic of Kamchatka needs a systematic description. This article gives a bibliographic review and a brief analysis of these works. It provides data about their evaluation by the contemporaries (censors, reviewers) and looks at the attitude to them in current historiography of the region. The conclusion is that the specifi city of Gromov’s historical narrative is due to a combination of historical and memoiristic discourses, while the recurrent theme of works on Kamchatka is a narrative about St. Innokenty. Archpriest Gromov’s works are particularly signifi cant from historical and spiritual points of view because this narartive is based on his personal experiences. The article mainly draws on materials of East-Siberian periodicals and regional archives.
Kamchatka, archpriest P. V. Gromov, St. Innokenty (Veniaminov), studies in church history, memoirs, spiritual writers
- Akulich O., Kriuchkova T., Polunina N. (eds.) (2008) “Vo imia Spasa Nerukotvornogo Obraza: Dokumental’noe povestvovanie o zhizni pervogo kamennogo khrama goroda Irkutska. 1706–2006” [“In the Name of the Saviour of the Image Not Made by Hand: Documentary Narrative on the Life of the First Stone Church of the City of Irkutsk. 1706‒2006]. Irkutsk, pp. 324–335 (in Russian).
- Isaev A. (2011) “Prokopii Vasil’evich Gromov: 200 let so dnia rozhdeniia” [P. V. Gromov: 200th Anniversary]. Priangar’e: gody, sobytiia, liudi: Kalendar’ znamenatel’nykh i pamiatnykh dat Irkutskoi oblasti na 2002 g. Vol. 34, Irkutsk, pp. 129–135 (in Russian).
- Kostanov A. (2007) Dokumental’naia istoriia Sibiri. XVII — seredina XIX v.: Istorikoarkhivovedcheskoe issledovanie [Documentary History of Siberia. 17th — Mid-19th Centuries: Historical and Archival Study]. Vladivostok (in Russian).
- Kulikauskene N. (2012) “«Chest’ i khvala Irkutskogo dukhovenstva»: protoierei Prokopii Vasil’evich Gromov” [“Honour and Glory of Irkutsk Clergy”: Archpriest P.V. Gromov], in Kulikauskene N. Proshloe — budushchemu [From the Past to the Future]. Irkutsk, pp. 144–170 (in Russian).
- Kuskov V. (1970) “Kraeved Prokopii Gromov” [Expert in Local History P. Gromov]. Kraevedcheskie zapiski. Vol. 2, Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskii, pp. 124–133 (in Russian).
- Mel’nikova S., Kriuchkova T., Vorob’eva E., Sukhanova N., Shilov D. (eds.) (2016) Pravoslavnye dukhovnye pisateli Vostochnoi Sibiri XVIII — nachala XX veka: Materialy k biobibliografi cheskomu slovariu [Orthodox Spiritual Writers of East Siberia of the 18th — Early 20th Centuries: Materials for a Bio- and Bibliographic Dictionary]. Irkutsk (in Russian).
- Shinkareva A. (2009) Ocherki istorii izdatel’skogo dela i pechati Irkutska (1785–1920) [Essays in the History of Publishing and Printing in Irkutsk (1785‒1920)]. Irkutsk (in Russian).
Information about the author
Melnikova Sofya Academic Degree:
Candidate of Sciences*
in Philology; Academic Rank:
Associate Professor; Place of work:
Irkutsk State University; 1 Karla Marksa Str., 664003, Irkutsk, Russian Federation; Post:
associate professor; ORCID: 0000-0002-2106-5730
*According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, the degree of Candidate of Sciences (Cand.Sc.) belongs to ISCED level 8 — "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar.
Article is prepared with financial support of the Russian Federal Property Fund. The project No. 16-04-00434 "Orthodox Spiritual Writers of Eastern Siberia XIX – the beginnings of the 20th centuries. Biobibliographic Dictionary".