The community of sisters of mercy in Russia in the views of the milieu of grand duchess Elena Pavlovna
Efimushkina Ekaterina (2019)
"The community of sisters of mercy in Russia in the views of the milieu of grand duchess Elena Pavlovna ",
Vestnik Pravoslavnogo Sviato-Tikhonovskogo gumanitarnogo universiteta.
Seriia II : Istoriia. Istoriia Russkoy Pravoslavnoy Tserkvi
pp. 97-109 (in Russian).
DOI of the paper: 10.15382/sturII201986.97-109
This article deals with the development of views of the closest milieu of Great Duchess Elena Pavlovna on the establishment of Krestovozdvizhenskaya community of sisters of mercy, which was the fi rst in Russia. The community created by Elena Pavlovna from its fi rst days came to be in the focus of public attention and found its place in military actions of the hardest time of the Crimean War (1853‒1856). Originally, the community was conceived as a place of training of female medical staff for providing help during military campaigns, but its further fate was unclear. Elena Pavlovna was offered a number of projects of the subsequent arrangement of the community, the fi rst of which was the project by N. I. Pirogov. From Western Europe she received statutes of various female Catholic orders and Protestant communities of female deacons. She requested Revd. Ioann Yanyshev, E. M. Bakunin, N. L. Zaytsev and others to examine the West European tradition of women’s service. The long search for the ways of developing Krestovozdvizhenskaya community has led Elena Pavlovna to the idea of revival of the service of ancient female deacons, but this idea was not supported by people around her. The fi nal statute of the community was adopted only in 1870, after 16 years since it had been established. The aim of the community was not solely to offer medical care, but also to serve for free the poor, the impoverished, orphans, the imprisoned, to teach children from poor families and to exercise Christian mercy.
sisters of mercy, Krestovozdvizhenskaya Community of Sisters of Mercy, congregation of sisters of mercy, Protestant community of female deacons, Russian Empire, Grand Duchess Elena Pavlovna, N. I. Pirogov, E. M. Bakunina, E. F. Raden, Russian Red Cross Society
- Borzyh A. (2015) “Deyatel'nost' rossijskih sester miloserdiya v period Krymskoj vojny (1853-1856)” [“Activities of Russian sisters of mercy during the Crimean war (1853-1856)”]. Ezhegodnaya bogoslovskaya konferenciya Pravoslavnogo Svyato-Tihonovskogo gumanitarnogo universiteta [Annual theological conference of St. Tikhon's Orthodox University], 2015, Vol. 25, P. 228-230 (in Russian).
- Harlamov E., Sklyarova E., Semyonova N. (2017) “Sluzhenie obshchestvu rossijskih sestyor miloserdiya (k 150-letiyu Rossijskogo Krasnogo Kresta)” [“Service to the society of Russian sisters of mercy (to the 150th anniversary Of the Russian Red Cross)”]. Gumanitarnye i social'no-ehkonomicheskie nauki [Humanities and socio-economic Sciences], 2017, Vol. 2(93), P. 91-96 (in Russian).
- Kaspruk L., Snasapova D., Zhakupova G. (2014) “Istoriko-medicinskie aspekty stanovleniya instituta sester miloserdiya v Rossii kak razvitie idej N. I. Pirogova” [“Historical and medical aspects of the formation of the Institute of sisters of mercy in Russia as the development of ideas N. I. Pirogova”]. Magistra vitae: ehlektronnyj zhurnal po istoricheskim naukam i arheologii [Magistra vitae: electronic journal of historical Sciences and archaeology]. 2014, Vol. 12 (341), P. 43-47. (in Russian)
- Mel'nikova L. (2009) “Krestovozdvizhenskaya obshchina sester popecheniya o ranenyh kak proobraz Krasnogo Kresta” [“Holy cross community of sisters of care for the wounded as a prototype of the Red Cross”], Rossijskaya istoriya [Russian history], 2009, Vol. 5, P. 119-134 (in Russian).
- Mokeev S. (1946) “Sestry miloserdiya Krestovozdvizhenskoj obshchiny v Sevastopol'skoj oborone” [“Sisters of mercy of the Holy cross community in Sevastopol defense”], Medicinskaya sestra [Medical sister], 1946, Vol. 9-10, P. 18-20 (in Russian).
- Shchupak B. (1963) “Sestry miloserdiya v Krymskuyu vojnu” [“Sisters of mercy in the Crimean war”] Medicinskaya sestra [Medical sister], 1963, Vol. 4, P. 58-60.
- Sokolova V. (2013) “Organizaciya obshchin sester miloserdiya Rossijskogo obshchestva Krasnogo Kresta (1854-1918 gg.)” [“Organization of communities of sisters of mercy Of the Russian Red Cross society (1854-1918)”], Clio, 2013, Vol. 4(76), P. 42 (in Russian).
- Suslov V. (1969) “Pirogov i pervye medicinskie sestry (k 85-letiyu so dnya smerti N. I. Pirogova)” [“Pirogov and the first nurses (to the 85th anniversary of N. I. Pirogov’s death)”], Medicinskaya sestra [Medical sister], 1969, Vol. 6, P. 56–57 (in Russian).
- Tkachev S. (1952) “N. I. Pirogov i pervye sestry (k 70-letiyu so dnya smerti N. I. Pirogova)” [“N. I. Pirogov and the first sisters (to the 70th anniversary of N. I. Pirogov’s death)”], Medicinskaya sestra [Medical sister], 1952, Vol. 2, P. 3-5 (in Russian).
- Cvelev Yu., Abashiv V., Shmidt A. (2010) “K 200-letiyu so dnya rozhdeniya N. I. Pirogova zhenskij trud na vojne. Sestry miloserdiya v Krymskoj (1853-1856 g.) vojne. Ekaterina Bakunina. Dasha Sevastopol'skaya (Mihajlova)” [“To the 200th anniversary of the birth of N. I. Pirogov women's work in the war. Sisters of mercy in the Crimean (1853-1856) war. Ekaterina Bakunina. Dasha Sevastopol'skaya (Mikhailova)”], Zhurnal akusherstva i zhenskih boleznej [Journal of obstetrics and women's diseases], 2010, Vol. 59 (2), P.100-108 (in Russian).
- Vtulkina A. (2016) “Rol' Krestovozdvizhenskoj obshchiny sester miloserdiya v gody Krymskoj vojny 1854-1856 gg.” [“The role of the Holy cross community of sisters of mercy during the Crimean war of 1854-1856”], Vestnik nauki i obrazovaniya [Bulletin of science and education], 2016, Vol. 4(16), P. 30-32 (in Russian).
- Zhukova L. (2015) “Deyatel'nost' Krestovozdvizhenskoj obshchiny sester popecheniya o ranenyh vo vremya Krymskoj vojny (k 160-letiyu sozdaniya)” [“Activities of the Holy cross community of sisters of care for the wounded during the Crimean war (to the 160th anniversary of creation)”], Byulleten' nacional'nogo nauchno-issledovatel'skogo instituta obshchestvennogo zdorov'ya imeni N. A. Semashko [Bulletin of the national research Institute of public health named after N. A. Semashko], 2015, Vol. 3, P. 72-73 (in Russian).
Information about the author
Efimushkina Ekaterina Student status:
Graduate student; Place of study:
St. Tikhon’s Orthodox University for the Humanities; 6/1 Likhov pereulok, Moscow 127051, Russian Federation; Post:
lecturer; ORCID: 0000-0001-7431-2953