Naumov Pavel (2018)
"Wipper's students ",
Vestnik Pravoslavnogo Sviato-Tikhonovskogo gumanitarnogo universiteta.
Seriia II : Istoriia. Istoriia Russkoy Pravoslavnoy Tserkvi
pp. 77-92 (in Russian).
DOI of the paper: 10.15382/sturII201880.77-92
This article is devoted to the problem of relationships between the historian Robert Wipper and his students. While working at the Department of World History of the Faculty of History and Philology of the Imperial Moscow University, professor Wipper could propose candidates for working at the University with the aim of subsequent preparation for professorship. We found twelve people who were left at the Department at the request of Wipper and who thus can be considered his disciples. All of them wrote their fi rst degree dissertations under his supervision. They typically became acquainted during Wipper’s seminars in World History. None of Wipper’s students managed to defend their theses before the Revolution, nor did most of them pass master’s exams. The most signifi cant achievement was the title of Privatdozent received by G. M. Prigorovsky and N. M. Lukin. After the Revolution, most of Wipper’s students continued to do research and to teach, obtaining academic degrees in the Soviet period. The Professor was popular among the “leftist” students; there were a number of Marxist historians among his students who become major scientifi c functionaries and cooperated with Soviet authorities. One of them, V. P. Volgin, criticised Wipper’s views during his teaching in Latvia. Though staying in line with Soviet historical science, Wipper’s students continued to develop themes that originated before the Revolution.
R. W. Wipper, Wipper’s students, system of training of researchers in history, academic community of historians of Moscow University, successor in science, intellectual dialogue, research tradition
- Antoshchenko A. V.,“Istoriia odnoi professorskoi otstavki”, in: Kazus. Individual’noe i unikal’noe v istorii, 4, 2002, 234–272.
- Botvinnik M. B.V. N. Pertsev, Minsk, 1978.
- Galkin I. S. N. M. Lukin — revoliutsioner, uchenyi, Moscow, 1984.
- Dunaevskii V. A., Porshnev B. F., “Izuchenie zapadnoevropeiskogo utopicheskogo sotsializma v sovetskoi istoriografi i (1917–1963)” in: Istoriia sotsialisticheskikh uchenii, Moscow, 1964, 3–91.
- El’nitskii L. A., “Pamiati S. A. Liaskovskogo (1887–1968)”, in: Journal of Ancient History, 4, 1969, 231–232.
- Ivanova T. N., Miagkov G. P.,“Shkola V. I. Ger’e: osnovnye cherty I mesto v nauchnom prostranstve Rossii” in: Dialog so vremenem. Al’manakh intellektual’noi istorii, Moscow, 44, 2013, 165–185.
- Ivanova Iu. V., “Petr Fedorovich Preobrazhenskii: zhiznennyi put’ I nauchnoe nasledie” in: Repressirovannye etnografy, Moscow, 1, 1999, 235–264.
- Ippolitova A. B., “Istoriia Muzeia narodov SSSR v Moskve”, in: Ethnographic Review, 2, 2001, 144–160.
- “K 75-letnemu ubileiu professor Vladimira Nikolaevicha D’iakova”, in: Journal of Ancient History, 4, 1957, 200–201.
- Koval’chuk S. N., “Istoriki ego istoriia: Robert Iur’evich Vipper”, in: Russkii mir I Latviia: al’manakh, 25, 2011, 200–210.
- Pavlovskaia A. I., “Konstantin Konstantinovich Zel’in (1892–1983) (k 100-letiiu so dnia rozhdeniia)”, in: Journal of Ancient History, 2, 1992, 220–230.
- Tsygankov D. A., “Avtoritet uchitelia I nauchnye konfl ikty v soobshchestve moskovskikh istorikov v kontse XIX — nachale XX v.”, in: Klio, 8, 2016, 54–61.
- Tsygankov D. A., “Korelin kak prepodavatel’ vysshei shkoly”, in: Klio, 10, 2017, 167–173.
- Tsygankov D. A., “Professor Moskovskogo universiteta V. I. Ger’e (1837–1919)”, in: Modern and Current History Journal, 5, 2002, 219–230.
- Tsygankov D. A., “R. Iu. Vipper ego put’ v sovetskui uistoricheskuiu nauku”, in: Istoriia I istoriki v prostranstve natsional’noii mirovoi kul’tury XVIII — nachala XXI v., Cheliabinsk, 2011, 241–245.
- Tsygankov D. A., “Soobshchestvo moskovskikh vseobshchikh istorikov vo vtoroi polovine XIX veka”, in: Terra Europa: intellektual’noe prostranstvo moskovskikh istorikov vtoroi poloviny XIX veka, Moscow, 2014, 11–173.
- Tsygankov D. A., “Universitetskaia povsednevnost’ na stranitsakh dnevnika Mikhaila Korelina”, in: Vestnik of Saint Petersburg University History, 3, 2016, 120–134.
- Chudinov A. V., “N. M. Lukin: u istokov nauchnoi kar’ery”, in: Istoricheskoe soznanie i vlast’ v zerkale Rossii 20 veka. Nauchnye doklady, St. Petersburg, 2006, 81–90.
Information about the author
Naumov Pavel Student status:
Graduate student; Place of study:
Moscow State University; 1 Leninskie Gory str., Moscow, 119192, Russian Federation; Post:
assistant lecturer at the faculty of history at St.Tikhon's Orthodox University; ORCID: 0000-0002-4353-8711