The First World War became a deadly trial for all the peoples involved in it. The fate of the war was decided not only in battlefi elds but also in the rear. Among other tasks, before the Russian state and society arose the problem of succour to the needy. A prominent role in this played Елизаветинский комитет (“Elizabethan Committee”), the statesupported public organisation. Head of the Committee, Grand Duchess Elizaveta Fedorovna, made great eff orts in the area of support for the poor. The state and society did not refrain from this support. Diverse state institutions, e.g. the Ministry of Domestic Aff airs and Ministry of Agriculture, participated in the initiative. The public involvement focused on fi nancial charity, practical work and organisational side. In provincial cities, fundraising initiatives for the poor were organised, canteens for the poor, nurseries for babies, orphanages were built. In rural areas, farmers also helped their neighbours and families of soldiers. As the war became prolonged, the size of support gradually decreased. On the one hand, the population became poorer; on the other hand, there appeared more and more those who needed support. Underpinned by state resources, Elizabethan Committee coordinated eff orts of the regions and provincial communities that were involved in the help for the poor in general and for soldiers’ families in particular. The main task was to overcome the food crisis and to provide victuals to people. Despite many real-life problems, in 1914 — early 1917 the tasks of supporting the poorest population strata was generally accomplished. The most vulnerable groups received the necessary assistance of society and the state. This assistance contributed to self-preservation of Russian society in the dismal wartime.
First World War, Elizabethan Committee, help for the poor, canteens, food supply, food crisis, charity, children’s shelter, soldiers’ families
- Aleksandrov A. V., Krasnova Ju. V., “«S miru po nitke…»: blagotvoritel’naja i miloserdnaja dejatel’nost’ Cheljabinskoj uchitel’skoj seminarii v gody Pervoj mirovoj vojny (1914–1915)”, in: Gorohovskie chtenĳa, Cheljabinsk, 2014, 198–203.
- Bel’kova N. A., “Zhizn’ provincial’nogo goroda v gody Pervoj mirovoj vojny”, in: Gosudarstvo, obshhestvo, cerkov’ v istorii Rossii XX veka, Ivanovo, 2010, 297–302.
- Bulgakova L. A., “Privilegirovannye bednjaki: pomoshh’ soldatskimsem’jam v gody Pervoj mirovoj vojny”, in: Na puti k revoljucionnym potrjasenĳ am. Iz istorii Rossii vtoroj poloviny XIX — nachala XX veka, St. Petersburg, 2001, 429–493.
- Esikov S. A., Shherbinin P. P., “Gosudarstvennaja podderzhka semej prizvannyh na vojnu krest’jan v pervyj period Pervoj mirovoj vojny 1914–1918 gg.”, in: Gosudarstvennaja vlast’ i krest’janstvo v XX — nachale XXI veka, Kolomna, 2007, 86–91.
- Katcina T. A., “Blagotvoritel’nye iniciativy Russkoj pravoslavnoj cerkvi v gody Pervoj mirovoj vojny”, in: Pervaja mirovaja vojna: vzgljad spustja stoletie. 1915 god, Moscow, 2016, 368–374.
- Kolyshnicyna N. V., “Dejatel’nost’ blagotvoritel’nyh obshhestv v Petrograde v gody Pervoj mirovoj vojny”, in: Velikajavojna. Poslednie gody imperii, St. Petersburg, 2014, 249–256.
- Kosicina A. P., “Blagotvoritel’naja dejatel’nost’ pravoslavnyh religioznyh organizacĳ v gody Pervoj mirovoj vojny v g. Syzran’ I Syzranskom uezde Simbirskoj gubernii”, in: Pervaja mirovaja vojna v istorii narodov Povolzh’ja, Cheboksary, 2015, 46–53.
- Kravchenko E. V., “Obshhestvo I vojna: organizacĳ a pomoshhi sem’jamzapasnyh v 1914 g. (na primere g. Odessy)”, in: Pervaja mirovaja vojna: vzgljad spustja stoletie. 1914 god: ot mira k vojne, Moscow, 2015, 317–325.
- Pavlova I. P., Social’noe popechenie v Rossii v gody Pervoj mirovoj vojny, Krasnojarsk, 2003.
- Petrovicheva E. M., Zemstva Central’noj Rossii v period pervoj mirovojvojny, Moscow, 2001.
- Ul’janova G. N., “Blagotvoritel’naja pomoshh’ obshhestva zhertvam vojny v 1914– 1918 gg.”, in: Rossĳa v gody Pervoj mirovoj vojny, 1914–1918, Moscow, 2014, 230–238.
Maxim Os’kin Academic Degree:
Candidate of Sciences*
in History; Place of work:
Institute of Law and Management, All-Russian Police Association; 98 Boldina str., Tula 300028, Russian Federation; Post:
Assistant Professor; ORCID: 0000-0003-1112-8715
*According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, the degree of Candidate of Sciences (Cand.Sc.) belongs to ISCED level 8 — "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar.