Based on the previously unpublished documents of the National Archives of the Republic of Tatarstan for the ﬁrst time in the national historiography the article examines the activities of the outstanding Russian church- and public ﬁgure and teacher Jacob Dmitrievich Koblov as Kazan diocesan anti — Muslim and anti-heathen missionary (1901–1907). The missionary service of Ja.D. Koblov was going on during the deep crisis of the Orthodox mission, which was the echo of the destructive phenomena occurring within the Russian Orthodox Church and the entire Russian society. During this period the state institutions, the church-community organizations are trying to develop new principles of ethnic and confessional and educational policy, of conducting interfaith dialogue. The announcement of religious freedom in 1905 complicated the implementation of the missionary work in multinational Kazan diocese with a signiﬁ cant percentage of the Muslim population; it required a change in the nature and methods of missionary work, the development of new measures for the protection of Christian converts from the Tatar-Muslim inﬂuence. The cultural and educational measures come ﬁrst, in particular, the increasing the number of schools of Kazan Orthodox missionary brotherhood of St. Gury, involvement of local non-Russian peoples in missionary and spiritual and educational activities. Thanks to the selﬂess activity of Orthodox missionaries, parish priests, teachers of fraternal schools in the Volga-Kama region they managed to reduce the rate of Islamization of the local non-Russian population (Kryashens, Chuvash, Mari, Udmurt) and save them from the real threat to the gradual dissolution of the Tatar-Muslim environment. It is concluded that Ja.D. Koblov made the signiﬁ cant contribution in the development of the spiritual, educational and missionary work among the non-Russian peoples of the Volga-Kama region in the early twentieth century.
Ja.D. Koblov, the Russian Orthodox Church, Kazan diocese, missionary activity, anti-Muslim missionary, Orthodox Brotherhood of St. Gury, freedom of religion, the peoples of the Volga-Kama region, ethno-confessional interaction, inter-confessional dialogu
1. Bagrecov L. 1904 “Ocherk arhipastyrskoj dejatel'nosti Vysokopreosvjashhennogo Arsenija (Brjanceva), arhiepiskopa Har'kovskogo i Ahtyrskogo vo vremja ego pjatiletnego upravlenija Kazanskoj eparhiej, v svjazi s obshhim obzorom ego svjatitel'skogo sluzhenija” (Survey of Bishop Activity of His Eminence Arsenij (Brjancev), Archbishop of Har’kov and Ahtyrsk in Time of His Five Years Ruling of Kazanskaja Diocese, in Connection with General Survey of His Bishop Service), in Vera i razum, 1904, vol. 17/1, p. 207.
2. Ishakov R. R. Ja. 2008 “D. Koblov o kul'turno-religioznoj zhizni povolzhskih musul'man v nachale XX v.” (D. Koblov about Cultural-Religious Lif of Muslims in Povolzh’e in Begin of XX Century), in Izvestija Samarskogo nauchnogo centra Rossijskoj akademii nauk, 2008, vol. 10/1, pp. 60–64.
3. Koblov Ja. 1902 “Kreshhenie 48 chelovek jazychnikov-cheremis v prihode B. Musheran' Carevo-kokshajskogo uezda 10 marta 1902 g.” (Baptize of 48 People Pagans-Cheremises in Parish of B. Mushran’ Carevo-kokshajskij District 10 March 1902), in Izvestija po Kazanskoj eparhii (IKE), 1902, vol. 9, pp. 400–407.
4. Koblov Ja. 1903 “Sredi kreshhenyh tatar i otstupnikov Mamadyshskogo uezda” (Midst of Baptized Tatars and Apostates of Mamadyshskij District), in IKE, 1903, vol. 24, p. 780–800.
5. Koblov Ja. D. O sostojanii missionerskogo dela v Kazanskoj eparhii za 1903 g. Otchet eparhial'nogo protivomusul'manskogo i protivojazycheskogo missionera (About Condition of Missionary Work in Diocese of Kazan’ for 1903. Report of Diocese Antimuslim and Antipagan Missionary), Kazan', 1904.
6. Koblov Ja. D. Mechty tatar-magometan o nacional'noj obshheobrazovatel'noj shkole (Dreams of Muslim Tatars about National General School), Kazan', 1908.
7. Koblov Ja. D. O tatarizacii inorodcev Privolzhskogo kraja (About Tatarization of Non-Russian People of Privolzhskij Province), Kazan', 1910.
8. Ponjatov A. N. 2003 “Nekotorye aspekty missionerskoj dejatel'nosti «Bratstva svjatitelja Gurija»” (Some Aspects of Mission Activity of “Brotherhood of St. Bishop Gurij”), in Pravoslavnyj sobesednik, Kazan', 2003. vol. 2/5, p. 65.
9. Chikurova O. V. Istoricheskie aspekty vzaimodejstvija islama, hristianstva (pravoslavija) i jazychestva v Volgo-Kam'e (na primere udmurtskogo jetnosa): Dis. … kand. ist. nauk (Hitorical Aspects of Interaction of Islam, Christianity (Orthodoxy) and Paganism in Volgo-Kam’e (on Example of Udmurt Ethnos). Dissertation), Izhevsk, 2004.
10. Chikurova O. V. 2013 “Dejatel'nost' Russkoj Pravoslavnoj Cerkvi «dlja ograzhdenija inorodcev ot vlijanija magometan» (Volgo-Kam'e, vtoraja polovina XIX – nachalo HH v.)” (Activity of Russian Orthodox Church “for Guarding of Non-Russian People from Muslim Influence”), in Istoricheskie, filosofskie, politicheskie i juridicheskie nauki, kul'turologija i iskusstvovedenie. Voprosy teorii i praktiki, Tambov, 2013, vol. 8/34/2, pp. 205–210.