The Chronology of the Renovationist «Revolution» in the Russian Church in May, 1922 according to New Archival Documents S.N. Ivanov The article covers the events of the beginning of the Renovationist schism in the Russian Orthodox Church, in particular —the attempt of the clergy’s group which has been loyal to the Soviet authorities to assume the higher power of the Church in May, 1922. The author supplemented the chronology of Renovationist schism with new archival documents which open the circumstances of negotiations between future dissenters and the members of an oversight body on the eve of meetings with Patriarch Tikhon at the Troitsk town residence in Moscow. Results of the research scientifi cally proved the assumption the Bolshevik authorities have used property. Earlier there was only the supposition of the church-historical researchers relying on the detected cost estimate of the withdrawal’s company of a Church property. For organizing the church division the Political bureau of Central Committee RKP (b) relied on the disagreements of clergy concerning the confi scation. The facts found out by the author clarifi ed the understanding of the true motives of loud statements about «the Famine Relief». The story of May events recreated in the article allows drawing more detailed conclusions about the decisions accepting by the Patriarch in the fi eld of the higher church management in this period. Reasonableness, compliance with the decrees of the Higher Church Management and the aspiration to benefi t the Church has distinguished the position of St. Patriarch Tikhon. the Moscow tribunal’s sentence upon 11 persons (including 8 priests) to be shot, for pressure, both on St. Patriarch Tikhon, and on the Revivalists with a view of the control over them. The author proves that the schism’s leaders, agitating voluntary for handing over divine service vessels to the Bolshevik commissions of Famine Relief, have received monetary compensation of state bodies for the “work” on the confi scation of Church
Russian Orthodox Church, Patriarch Tikhon, Renovation schism, Highest Church Administration, Trinity town church, Synodal offi ce, The state political Department, Seizure of a church property, Church revolution, Persecution against the Church
1. Akty Svjatejshego Tihona, Patriarha Moskovskogo i vseja Rossii, pozdnejshie dokumenty i perepiska o kanonicheskom preemstve vysshej cerkovnoj vlasti, 1917–1943 (Acts of His Holiness Tikhon, Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia, Latest Documents and Correspondence about Canonical Successivity of Highest Church Power, 1917–1943), M., 1994.
2. Arhivy Kremlja: Politbjuro i Cerkov'. 1922–1925 gg. (Archives of Kremlin: Politburo and Church. 1922–1925), M.; Novosibirsk., 1997–1998.
3. Ivanov S. N. (2011) “O prichinah peredachi sv. Patriarhom Tihonom kanceljarskih del gruppe svjashhennikov v mae 1922 g.” (About Reasons of Delivery by St. Patriarch Tikhon Office Cases to a Group of Priests in May 1922), in Vestnik PSTGU. Cerija II: Istorija. Istorija Russkoj Pravoslavnoj Cerkvi, 2011, vol. 3/40, pp. 17–35.
4. Kuznecov A. I. (2002) “Obnovlencheskij raskol v Russkoj Cerkvi” (Obnovlency Split in Russian Church), in «Obnovlencheskij» raskol (materialy dlja cerkovno-istoricheskoj i kanonicheskoj harakteristiki), M., 2002, p. 216.
5. Levitin-Krasnov A., Shavrov V. Ocherki po istorii russkoj cerkovnoj smuty (Essays on History of the Russian Church Distemper.), Moskva. Kűsnacht., Krutickoe patriarshee podvor'e, 1996.
6. Odincov M. I. (2000) “«Vidno ne ispili my do dna vsju chashu polozhennyh nam ispytanij». Pis'ma episkopa Jamburgskogo Aleksija (Simanskogo) mitropolitu Novgorodskomu Arseniju (Stadnickomu) 1921–1922 gg.” (“It Seems, We did not Drank the Cup of Fixed to Us Trials to the Dregs”. Letters of Bishop of Jamburg Alexij (Simanskij) to Metropolitan of Novgorod Arsenij (Stadnickij) of 1921–1922), in Istoricheskij arhiv, 2000, vol. 1. S. 77.
7. E. V. Ivanova (publ.). (2007) “Patriarh Tihon v 1920–1923 godah: Analiticheskaja zapiska iz Guverovskogo arhiva” (Patriarch Tikhon in 1920–1923: Analytic Notice from Archive of Guverov), in Zhurnal Moskovskoj Patriarhii, 2007, vol. 11, pp. 60–96.
8. (1922) “Peredacha vlasti patriarhom Tihonom” (Delivery of Power by Patriarch Tikhon), in Krasnaja gazeta, 1922, 20 maja, vol. 111, p. 3.
9. Petrov S. G. Dokumenty deloproizvodstva Politbjuro CK RKP(b) kak istochnik po istorii Russkoj Cerkvi (1921–1925 gg.) (Documents of Office Work of Politburo of Central Committee of RKP(b) as a Source for History of Russian Church (1921–1925)), M., 2004.